• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

There are many males in the flock many in near full summer plumage. If there are as many there as I saw on Thursday, you shouldn't have any problem locating them. They were very mobile, being seen at the base of the north slope of Shrike Hill, behind the tumulus, and on the north edge of Parish Field to name but three. They were very vocal too. In fact I mistook thier buzzing as some sort of machine droning in the distance at first!

I've just returned from a family visit to Surrey and managed to squeeze in a couple of hours at Thursley last Friday (15th). The sight of a male Brambling and male Redstart in adjacent trees seemed a bit bizarre! A few more Bramblings were at the pond by the car park but I didn't see any full summer plumaged males. Other highlights were Tree Pipit, Cuckoo (actually seen before being heard!) and a nice male Hen Harrier that flew across the Common quite determinedly at 12:55; speaking to another birder at about 14:00 he said it had been hunting across the Common at around 13:45.

David

I've just returned from a family visit to Surrey and managed to squeeze in a couple of hours at Thursley last Friday (15th). The sight of a male Brambling and male Redstart in adjacent trees seemed a bit bizarre! A few more Bramblings were at the pond by the car park but I didn't see any full summer plumaged males. Other highlights were Tree Pipit, Cuckoo (actually seen before being heard!) and a nice male Hen Harrier that flew across the Common quite determinedly at 12:55; speaking to another birder at about 14:00 he said it had been hunting across the Common at around 13:45.

David

Rats! Left before the Harrier showed. Having circumnavigated the Common with only brief flight views of several Bramblings, I returned to the Moat car park only to find a flock of c50 birds there. They were in the pines just north of the Car Park, occassionaly coming to the ground to forage. When they did so they were very sensitive to disturbance, but approachable when in the trees although still hard to see, calling all the while. They also crossed the road where they were viewable from the public footpath running west from the car park. No full sum plum males but nice none-the-less.

D

Last edited:
Female Ring Ouzel still at Staines Moor this morning. Difficult to find initially but by 0745hrs was showing well and calling.

Staines Reservoir produced 1 Black Tern on the south basin.

Rich

Two Groppers this morning reeling just off the boardwalk at Staines Moor. Sadly no further sign of the female Ring Ouzel. The nearby Black Redstart was still present at Thorpe Park Farm and at Staines Reservoir there were single Black Tern, Little Gull, Great Northern Diver and a breeding plumaged Slavonian Grebe. Not a bad early morning start.

Rich

Last edited:
1st summer male Black Redstart still present at Thorpe Park today (24/4). Singing from the 'Thorpe Farm' buildings. Viewable from the public footpath from Thorpe village.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Is the public footpath the one near the church that runs beside Manor Lake?
Where are the farm buildings in relation to the footpath?

Thanks,

John.

Hi Kevin,

Is the public footpath the one near the church that runs beside Manor Lake?
Where are the farm buildings in relation to the footpath?

Thanks,

John.

Yes thats the path. The farm buildings are on the left before Manor Lake. Viewing point is c100m from the start of the path, where there is a gap in the hedge. First saw it today (before 9am) singing on a water tank next to a red tank, then it started working its way to the (your) right fly catching off fence posts and tree support posts. Warning there are alot of posts it could perch on!

Good luck

Kevin.

Seen again on Monday 25th. This time on the barn roofs. Would drop down out of sight for 10-15min before reappearing on another roof.

Last edited:
Four Dartford Warblers on Chobham Common this afternoon. Great to see that this species is hanging on in Surrey.

Rich

just an update i went to thursley 16/5/11
only my second trip hoping to go once a month
redstart,whinchat,spotted flycatcher,stonechat,tree pipit,woodlark ,cuckoo,curlew,gold crest,plus others
but i was hoping to see dartford warbler and wood warbler and raptors but none seen,
please could someone tell me what part is shrike hill, i did the heath walk with a few small variations. cheers

Hi LBB,

Welcome to BF! If you followed the heath trail from the Moat car park, Shrike Hill is to your right after you reach the end of the boardwalk crossing the bog & small area of pines. I'm surprised that you did not see Hobby, these can be seen hawking Dragonflies over the bog/Pudmore Pond area now in good no's on a dry warm day. I'm afraid that Dartford Warblers are hard to find on the SW Surrey commons now due to the hard winter we had. There are a few individuals on Chobham Common, but were virtually wiped out at Thursley/Hankley. Wood Warbler does not breed at Thursley, the last reliable site locally was the Devils Punchbowl at Hindhead but have not been seen there for 3 years.

Hope this helps,

John.

Crooksbury - 2 Cuckoo, 1 Hobby, 1 Tree Pipit, 1 Woodlark, 1 Garden Warbler, 1 Willow Warbler.

Thursley - 1 Hobby, 2 Cuckoo, 5 Redstart, 2 Woodlark, 2 Skylark, 2 Lapwing, 2 Tree Pipit, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel.

John.

thanks for the reply
the chobham common dartford warbler are they in one particular place or scattered about
i havent been there before so i have to google it to find is there any parking
cheers

Nightjars at Crooksbury

Crooksbury Common currently has at least 6 churring Nightjars. Cracking views of display flights and calls last week with closeup views of both male and female birds. Given the size of Crooksbury Common this is perhaps one of the easiest areas to see the species closeup in Surrey. Park in the Car Park on the Elstead Road between Seale and Elstead and follow either path onto the common. Churring birds within a few metres of the car park.

Rich

thanks for the reply
the chobham common dartford warbler are they in one particular place or scattered about
i havent been there before so i have to google it to find is there any parking
cheers

Dartford Warblers are best seen from the Longcross Carpark (near to where they fly model planes). There are currently fledged infividuals there.

Rich

Crooksbury Common currently has at least 6 churring Nightjars. Cracking views of display flights and calls last week with closeup views of both male and female birds. Given the size of Crooksbury Common this is perhaps one of the easiest areas to see the species closeup in Surrey. Park in the Car Park on the Elstead Road between Seale and Elstead and follow either path onto the common. Churring birds within a few metres of the car park.

Rich

Rich is spot on, I went this evening & had excellent views of 1 male perched in a pine near the car park & at least 2 other birds wing clapping / churring. This was just in the area close to the car park as I had limited time.

John.

John.

whereabouts?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Park at Little Bookham, (over the railway), & follow the main track to your left. When you reach the cattle grid take the path to the left & bear right. Eventually you will see a gate which leads back onto a main track, all three birds were singing in this area immediately before & after the gate.

Good Luck,

John.

Rich

Rich,
What sort of time did you visit? I've only ever seen/heard Nightjar very close to/after dark, albeit very close. Would love to get a better view of one!

Matt.

Hi Matt,

I arrived there about 9pm & heard churring birds straight away, as it's light until 9:30 ish that gives you about a half hour window. Give it a go I had fantastic views the other evening!

Cheers,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back