• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Although there have been no 'official' sightings of the Shrike recently, I'm pretty sure the bird is still there. I chatted to a guy who goes there very often, a few days ago, and it was still there then, despite the lack of reports on SBC website etc. As usual for the species, the bird is very mobile, but its best to check out Shrike Hill, around Pudmore Pond, and look out over the rest of the heath from the Tumulus.

As for Papercourt, no there are no restrictions as such, but speaking as a guy who has quite a dislike for dogs (I'm a postman), I would encourage you to have it on a lead at both sites, but of course you can do what you want. Other dog walkers do any way!

Good couple of hours at Staines Res this morning, GN Diver showing very well close to the causeway on the South Basin. Also 3 Common Scoter, Scaup, & Black Necked Grebe all also on the South Basin.

John.

Great Northern Diver showing well on the south basin again this morning. Only a brief glimpse of a Scaup before it was lost to the sun's glare. No sign of Scoter or BN Grebe. Nice to see a redhead Smew, 4+ Goldeneye and a Ruddy Duck though.

Matt.

A brief visit to Staines Reservoir this morning provided fantastic views of the Great Northern Diver from the causeway, as it fed at close quarters on the S Basin. Also about were 5 Goldeneye (including a smart male) and 3 Teal; no sign of yesterday's Scaup, Black-necked Grebe or Smew- but the lack of a scope didn't help.

Attachments

• GND.jpg
    GND.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Goldeneye1.jpg
    Goldeneye1.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 64
I don't know for sure, but as 6 were reported recently, I would very much doubt that they have all left (possible I suppose)! Certainly worth going on spec. Barn and Little Owls certainly still about there.

Good luck.

I was there today and as I was leaving at 3pm one appeared and started hunting in the first part of the walk, would suggest getting there around 3ish as from chatting to some folks I met there that seems to be the normal time they come out to play.

Stu

Thanks for the help guys. We had good views of 4 birds yesterday evening!

Does anyone know if they show in the morning as well as the evening? of course I am talking about early morning :)

Could someone please tell me where the best place to park at papercourt for the short eared owls. thanks

Last edited:
Steve,
When I went, I parked by the small mini roundabout in Old Woking (There is a signpost for parking here) and walked down the road towards Send for about 200yards before taking the footpath to the watermeadows.

Tony

Could someone please tell me where the best place to park at papercourt for the short eared owls. thanks

Steve,

Park in carpark (TQ018569) off mini-roundabout in Old Woking (junction with High Street and Broadmead Road). Walk c200m along Broardmead Road towards Send over a bridge and enter Broad Mead Field after last house on the left. On your right is a rough grass field and on your left a short grass field. Follow footpath slightly beyond the short grass just around the bend. Or if you walk further along the path to the next bend you can view a greater area of the meadow.

OR

If you go south along the A3 and exit at the Ripley junction. Drive through Ripley and just pass the Shell petrol garage. At the roundabout take the third exit towards Send (A247). Go straight on at the next crossroads( traffic lights). After about 250m turn right into Tannery Lane. After 400m park close to some industrial units (mill). Just after the mill on the righthand bend there is a footpath leading to Papercourt Meadows that crosses two bridges. Stay on the edge of the meadow as there is no need to walk into meadow. From here you can view the meadow left and right. Check on the pylons that cross the meadow. An added bonuus is that there are also 1-2 Barn Owls also in the area.
Here is a link to a map http://binged.it/sjII2v

Good Luck
Kevin

Steve,

Park in carpark (TQ018569) off mini-roundabout in Old Woking (junction with High Street and Broadmead Road). Walk c200m along Broardmead Road towards Send over a bridge and enter Broad Mead Field after last house on the left. On your right is a rough grass field and on your left a short grass field. Follow footpath slightly beyond the short grass just around the bend. Or if you walk further along the path to the next bend you can view a greater area of the meadow.

OR

If you go south along the A3 and exit at the Ripley junction. Drive through Ripley and just pass the Shell petrol garage. At the roundabout take the third exit towards Send (A247). Go straight on at the next crossroads( traffic lights). After about 250m turn right into Tannery Lane. After 400m park close to some industrial units (mill). Just after the mill on the righthand bend there is a footpath leading to Papercourt Meadows that crosses two bridges. Stay on the edge of the meadow as there is no need to walk into meadow. From here you can view the meadow left and right. Check on the pylons that cross the meadow. An added bonuus is that there are also 1-2 Barn Owls also in the area.
Here is a link to a map http://binged.it/sjII2v

Good Luck
Kevin

Kevin,
thanks very much. It will help a lot. Had to have a couple of operations on my back and neck, so wandering for a few hours gets a bit tricky. Again thanks very much. Steve

Just a quick thank you for all the Papercourt SEO info. I was down visiting family for Xmas, and popped down to Papercourt Meadows on Xmas Eve. Turned up a bit too early, and had a long cold wait, but had a good chat with some of the other birders there, so nothing lost. Cracking views of a Sparrowhawk, which caught its meal, then perched in full view on a stump across the river, where it proceeded to dismember and eat it. As I was watching this, the first SEO appeared, flying right past us, and up to the top of the site. A second one joined it, and we were treated to 20 mins or so of great flying, including one getting mobbed by the Sparrowhawk. I was surprised by the number of birders in attendance - must have been 40-50 people watching. A great afternoon's birding :t:

One of my New Year's resolutions was to try to post on this thread a bit ... A couple of Mealy Redpolls reported in a Kingswood garden on Jan 2nd (in the Canons Farm recording area). No news on the Barn Owl there yet this year but I'll be looking this evening.

I am still popping down to Thursley for this Shrike, been down 4 times now and no joy..... have had some nice days out and end up catching the Owls at Papercourt on the way back :t:

Stu

2 Goosander, 3 Mandarin, & Kingfisher at Cuttmill; Raven, 8 Crossbill, Woodlark, Dartford Warbler, 2 Buzzard, 2 Stonechat, & Sparrowhawk at Crooksbury Today.

John.

Late afternoon trip to Cutmill saw 1 male Goosander, pair of Kingfisher and about 8 Mandarin Duck.

Also saw a small duck which a local said was a Blue-winged Teal. Anybody know anything about this?

Allan

Late afternoon trip to Cutmill saw 1 male Goosander, pair of Kingfisher and about 8 Mandarin Duck.

Also saw a small duck which a local said was a Blue-winged Teal. Anybody know anything about this?

Allan

This duck was first reported by me on Jan 1st. It is unfortunately a Cinnamon Teal x Blue winged Teal Hybrid.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back