• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Florida, USA - Beach birds & other birds at the beach (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
All seen on Bunch beach, SW Florida, yesterday, in rather gloomy weather.
Every year I have trouble with the little guys. The black legs tell me that some of them are Western Sandpipers, but there are other choices as well.

5 & 6) The hawk swooped down, nabbed something from between the sea oats and immediately took off again. My best guess is a red shouldered, but if others have more insight, please say.

7 & 8) This is the only shot I was able to get of this bird. The second pic is merely an adjusted version. Possible Northern Rough-winged Swallow?

Many thanks for the help!

Attachments

• a - IMG_0437.jpg
    a - IMG_0437.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 34
  • a - IMG_9546.jpg
    a - IMG_9546.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • a - pos dn IMG_0433.jpg
    a - pos dn IMG_0433.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 31
  • a - pos sps IMG_0427.jpg
    a - pos sps IMG_0427.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 34
  • a - IMG_0444.jpg
    a - IMG_0444.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 33
  • a - IMG_0445.jpg
    a - IMG_0445.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 37
  • a - IMG_0372.jpg
    a - IMG_0372.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 33
  • a - IMG_0372b.jpg
    a - IMG_0372b.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 34
The shorebirds all look good for Western Sandpiper to me, but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in my judgement of shorebirds.

The swallow looks better for Cliff, but the pic is too poor quality to say for sure

I agree with what's been stated above. Western Sandpiper for image 1, and Dunlin for 2-4. The swallow definitely suggests cliff, though I don't think we can be 100% certain in ruling out cave (though the entirely pale cream breast and flanks definitely point towards Cliff).

I agree with what's been stated above. Western Sandpiper for image 1, and Dunlin for 2-4. The swallow definitely suggests cliff, though I don't think we can be 100% certain in ruling out cave (though the entirely pale cream breast and flanks definitely point towards Cliff).

Unless it's the tiny %age of cave swallows with a dark throat and breast-spot, this is a Cliff Swallow.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back