• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Florida USA - hawk-type (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
Seen this morning at the Estero Bay Preserve.
As a note, the area is still very soupy from the latest hurricane.
Many thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0710 B.jpg
    IMG_0710 B.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 41
I would have thought osprey, but all that dark streaking on the chest says it isn't a local osprey. If one looks carefully, there is a bar just over the eye and maybe a hint of a downward marking from the eye. The closest thing I see in my books is a dark Prairie Falcon, but I think we are well out of range. Could this be a Cuban bird, blown up by the storm? We do have a number of flamingos right now that were storm dropped.

The pose and structure (when looking at the photos on the page) do suggest Red-shouldered Hawk but the face is a puzzler.

And is that barring rather than streaking? Hard to tell from the angle.

And the FL sub-species of RSH is very pale; this is notably dark, although that could just be the exposure.

So...probably RSH that has been foraging in a sooty garbage pile.

I would have thought osprey, but all that dark streaking on the chest says it isn't a local osprey. If one looks carefully, there is a bar just over the eye and maybe a hint of a downward marking from the eye. The closest thing I see in my books is a dark Prairie Falcon, but I think we are well out of range. Could this be a Cuban bird, blown up by the storm? We do have a number of flamingos right now that were storm dropped.
The light coloring over the eye is fine for Red-shouldered. The white on the back of the head is caused by the wind blowing up the feathers

A stocky Buteo with wide dark and rather-narrow pale tail-bars. Hence a juvenile of red-shouldered hawk or broad-winged hawk. I suspect the underparts may be better for red-shouldered hawk, but I don't know enough of the variability to pronounce on that. The secondaries don't look as clearly barred as one might expect on red-shouldered hawk, and I don't know how one would rule out broad-winged hawk.

The secondaries don't look as clearly barred as one might expect on red-shouldered hawk, and I don't know how one would rule out broad-winged hawk.
Red-shouldered for me. In the last two photos the secondaries appear distinctly barred; that rules out BWHA AFAIK. Something is making its head look strange--could be a number of things; everything else looks fine for RSHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back