• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow from Liberia (W. Africa) (1 Viewer)

Rasmus Boegh

BF member
The following photos from Liberia were recently uploaded to the gallery; them being labeled as a Palm Swift (which it isn't):

1) http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/78716/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
2) http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/78714/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

It's clearly a Swallow. But which species? It seemingly has a slightly forked tail with an inconspicious pale patch on the inner rectrices, pale rump, unstreaked buff (perhaps somewhat ochraceous) underparts, a suggestion of a dark collar, slight contrast between the flight-feathers & underwing coverts and a hint of a red line behind the eye. Seemingly, the best match is the poorly known Preuss's Cliff Swallow (Hirundo/Petrochelidon preussi), but the maps I have barely show it in Liberia (although it certainly comes very close). Hence, I'd appreciate further comments on the ID...

Can I be the first to mention the possibility of a hybrid Rasmus? ;)

Having seen my first two Hirundo rustica x Delichon urbica (presumed) at Llangorse Lake in Powys, Wales last Spring - this bird looks remarkably similar to one of them (the other was much more rustica-like).

Andy.

Hi Rasmus,

I agree with you that it is Preuss's Cliff Swallow. The rufous mark behind the eye is supposed to be pretty much diagnostic. I've not seen the species I should add, but I was watching SA Cliff Swallow two weeks ago and (apart from Liberia being well out of range) it's clearly of the same ilk. The squarish tail, "clean" underparts and concolourous underwing coverts clinch it for me. I'd certainly be putting Preuss's on my life list :)) (And, yes, the other photo is of a Little Swift)

I'd have to congratulate the photographer for getting such a great picture - I've not been to Liberia, but I imagine conditions on the ground for anyone with a camera could be a little difficult (I'm always a little wary in Nigeria anyway). Would xentox be good enough to let me know how he/she felt birding Liberia (and apologies if I've missed a thread on this subject already)

Charlie

Hi Rasmus,
Thanks for starting this thread, I initially saw the image and thought SA Cliff Swallow (I've seen them a few times in SA....20 years ago!) but having no experience of West Africa I thought that it might prove useful to get you involved (hope that's OK!)
They are such good images I think they could prove useful, well done Xenox, more please!
Sadly I messed up my Tiny-ND Collared Sunbird in Uganda, there were also Stuhlmann's in the area.....how do I tell this from the other two species?
Tom

Tom,

Congrats on your recent good photos posted both here and on African Birdclub Database. I don't have ready access at the moment, but the Sunbird book issued by Christopher Helm gives excellent drawings of all 3 species to enable identification.

Your right again Rasmus,

it's a Preuss's. The fact that it is photographed in Liberia is not strange at all. The species has been expanding it's range to the west for a few decades now and in the eighties it was already reported from Sierra Leone, which lies to the west of Liberia.

Thanks to all,

I had my doubts as this is a species I have absolutely no experiance with. Doing a bit of additional research it also seems that the non-br. range of this species is rather poorly known.

Charlie, just in case xentox misses your request for info it might be worth forwarding a PM to him.

Tom, you're right; some of these Sunbirds really are confusing. The way to separate the Tiny and the Northern Double-collared are (supposedly!) size, colour of narrow chest-band above the red (bluish in Tiny, purplish in Northern DC) and bill shape. Would I have noticed any of these things from the photos? Probably not, but my experiance with West and Central Africa taxa is somewhere in between "very small" and "non-existant". Something that's unlikely to change anytime soon now where I've shifted virtually all my attention to the Neotropics (although seeing some of your nice photos from Uganda I might feel tempted to reconsider!).

Anyway, xentox's photos certainly are excellent - these photos being a good documentation of a poorly known species.

Last edited:
hi guys
thanks for the comments and the info, feel a little inadequate in this company, love shooting birds, but species knowledge is definitely sadly lacking!!
As for birding in Liberia?, its great, am working here with USAID, but really things have improved, worst problems are the crowds that gather to watch you, especially in rural areas where most of these were taken, tends to have anegative effect where birds are concerned :). However Liberia is great for birding, apparently the only wildlife that hasnt suffered. I love it! Kosovo was good, but this is warnmer!! Anyway, hope to have more for you soon, :)
thanks again

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back