• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting (?) in Tajikistan (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
I took these photos two days ago, about 2,600m/8,530ft above sea level. The face pattern doesn't look right for any bunting...no ear spot, a simple eye stripe, no moustache, dark lores. I see an eye ring and hint of a light throat, and it looks very large-headed. I'm lost on this one. There were lots of Rock Buntings around; Pine Bunting, Yellowhammer, and White-capped Bunting would be the most expected Emberiza species in the area.

Attachments

• DSCN2588emberiza.JPG
    DSCN2588emberiza.JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN2589emberiza.JPG
    DSCN2589emberiza.JPG
    671.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2593emberiza.JPG
    DSCN2593emberiza.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN2595emberiza.JPG
    DSCN2595emberiza.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 66
I took these photos two days ago, about 2,600m/8,530ft above sea level. The face pattern doesn't look right for any bunting...no ear spot, a simple eye stripe, no moustache, dark lores. I see an eye ring and hint of a light throat, and it looks very large-headed. I'm lost on this one. There were lots of Rock Buntings around; Pine Bunting, Yellowhammer, and White-capped Bunting would be the most expected Emberiza species in the area.
It's a 1st-w, presumably fem, Rock Bunting which are the dullest and most variable at this time of year. The face pace is poorly marked, yet there is small amount of black around the base of the moustachial (2588) + the lower border to the ear coverts is absent. Also, the rump and utc's are merely tinged rufous which, can be absent in the dullest individuals.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back