• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro/ mm3 or 4 or es 80 Ga Ed (1 Viewer)

Derbyfella

I currently have a celestron 100f-Ed which is good….but sooo heavy. Considering purchasing something a bit smaller
i dont want to buy brand new….and was considering an opticron originally….then maybe a Swarovski 80 Ats….but I read on here an article/review saying that the mm4 77mm Ed was actually a better scope….
so thoughts….

also what are the best scopes then…I thought swaros were? I know this is going to be subjective…..

It’s extremely subjective.
I have looked through a number of well known, well respected, well made and popular ‘scopes but I wouldn’t swap my Swarovski ATS80 for any of them.
I don’t know where you read that review but I definitely prefer my ATS80 to the Opticron (although it is very good)

I would recommend actually trying a few at an optic shop to see how well you like them.
See what suits your eyes and your wallet
There must be one in Derbyshire somewhere ;)

Cheers Mike
think the review might have been in here somewhere

are you talking about LCE in sadlergate?

The review is Opticron 77 v Swarovski 65, mine is the ATS80 with 25 - 50 zoom

Sorry, I have no idea about optic shops in Derbyshire, I just assumed that you wouldn’t be too far from one.
I live in Stockport and I used to visit Birdnet optics in Buxton (absolutely brilliant service from Paul Flint) but don’t know if he’s still working.

Good luck with your search

If you are closer to the Derby/Nottingham end/side of the county, you could visit Attenborough Nature Centre - they have an optics try & buy event on Saturday 11th June.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back