• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro Repair courier question (2 Viewers)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
Hi
I have registered with Swarovski to send my Binos to Austria for repair.
Can anyone advise a few things please:

Do I send them in the original box, which adds considerable weight?
What postal service have people used when sending them to Austria?
Any other tips?

I am sending to Austria from UK

Thanks in advance
Dave

Andy
Contact them on 01737 856812
(only so they are expecting your delivery).

In a nutshell:
Send double boxed to Surrey (with Binos well bubble wrapped inside)
No extras to be sent (Eye cups, Straps, accessories etc..... although I can not remove the neck strap on my old SLC model so it will have to stay on).
Copy of Repair Case number from Swarovski (I got this by email once I registered the repair on their website)
A short note to Salfords with reason for repair

Recorded delivery

I hope that covers everything
Let me know if your conversation with them is any different

Ragards
Dave

Only just seen you message Dave and it's now Saturday.

Did you send them here?

Unit 11 Perrywood Business Park, Honeycrock Lane
Redhill Surrey RH1 5JQ

Just making sure as I fly back to Cyprus tomorrow and don't want them sent to the wrong place!!!

Cheers, Andy

I’m lucky in having an excellent local optics shop (Focalpoint) about 30 minutes drive away from home.
As some may remember I tripped over some barded wire and landed on my binoculars (10x42 ELs) and de-formed the left hand barrel. For a small fee Focalpoint packaged and dispatched the binoculars to Swarovski via Royal Mail and a couple of weeks later they arrived back. New barrel, new armour on both barrels - £300. Swarovski did not want the box but I didn’t have to remove the strap or eyecups.

Thanks for starting this thread Dave.

My 'bins' are now in Austria via Surrey, very good service so far. On my 'bins', the left eyepiece had totally detached, just came out. Also, the ridged, cover on the focus wheel was detached which meant that it would not turn the focus wheel, it just slipped around, I'd glued it back myself a few years ago but it failed again.

Had a reply to say they'll repair my 'bins' without charge, must admit, enjoyed using my old Leicas again, boy they've seen some good stuff over the years!

Thanks for starting this thread Dave.

My 'bins' are now in Austria via Surrey, very good service so far. On my 'bins', the left eyepiece had totally detached, just came out. Also, the ridged, cover on the focus wheel was detached which meant that it would not turn the focus wheel, it just slipped around, I'd glued it back myself a few years ago but it failed again.
Did you have to pay anything for Salfords to send it onward to Austria?

I have to pay at least 95GBP for the local distributor to send it to Austria.

Swarovski told me that shipping costs are always borne by the customer even in Europe.

"We ask for your understanding, that we are not able to take over shipping costs.
The repair shipments from the customer to the repair center/ country distribution are always taken by the customer - also in Europe"

Did you have to pay anything for Salfords to send it onward to Austria?

I have to pay at least 95GBP for the local distributor to send it to Austria.

Swarovski told me that shipping costs are always borne by the customer even in Europe.

"We ask for your understanding, that we are not able to take over shipping costs.
The repair shipments from the customer to the repair center/ country distribution are always taken by the customer - also in Europe"
Not as far as I know, nothing has been mentioned.

no payment to Salfords

My bins have now been received in Austria being inspected
(I dropped mine on a sand bank and got sand ingress into the eyecup, also the focusing wheel "missed" every now and again ... as it didn't want to turn smoothly

My local optics shop charged me £40 to send my 10x42 ELs to Swarovski in Austria.
They were damaged due to my own incompetence and so I had to pay for the repair.
Return postage was either paid for by Swarovski or (more likely) part of the repair fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back