• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro SLC 7x42 Neu B or the SLC 7x50 B (1 Viewer)

Szmako81

Hungary
Dear fellow bino-enthusiats!

Which binoculars would you prefer from Swarovski? The 7x42 or the 7x50?

Found a SLC 7x50 B Neu in Germany and never have had one so far in this magnification.

Szabolcs

Found a SLC 7x50 B Neu in Germany and never have had one so far in this magnification.

Szabolcs

I own the 7x50's and really enjoy them - bright, sharp (better than the 42's) and wonderful apparent field of view - the binoculars effectively disappear. The actual FOV though is only about 125/1000 if that bothers you. I use them for owl watching pre-dawn. They're not light (similar to the current 8x56's) if weight bothers you...

The 7x42 do have a better actual field of view and are a fair bit lighter and still give a very nice image.

Just to not be helpful at all I can echo Richard's statement - i own the 7x42's and really enjoy them!

Sounds like you can't go wrong with either. I moved across to the 7x42 SLC neu from a brand new 8x56 SLC hd. The hd was a touch brighter, slightly more colour neutral, had slightly less field curvature and maybe a touch better diopter adjustment but the neu is lighter, smaller, feels more robust and does enough of what the hd did for me not to miss it. Here a snap through my 7x42 neu taken yesterday.

WillIMG_20240324_170453204_HDR.jpg

Szabolcs
In dark skies I found the 7x50 noticeably brighter, however this came with more difficulty viewing without blackouts. Size/weight/FOV are all in favor of the 42’s. I would see if you can successfully look through the 7x50’s without issues. I personally had to hold them a little further away from my eyes, even with fully extended eyecups. Otherwise, they are fantastic tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back