• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent Help! possible Swarovski 8x30 SLC WB Neu purchase...but is it genuine? (1 Viewer)

laurencejackson

Hi, I am thinking about taking a punt on gumtree on a seemingly excellent condition 8x30 SLC Neu...

However, the serial number is D820141577, making it an early 2012 model. I'm not sure when they were discontinued but this seems quite late. I had a pair which I sold ironically around that time, but I thought they had stopped making them before 2011/2012. Anyway, my question...is this a genuine serial number as far as the dates go???

Thanks and any timely answers would be appreciated!

Thanks. Allbinos indicate 2013 as the last year, but everywhere else I have searched indicates 2010/11 as being the last production year. Anyway, it's academic now as the photo he/she/they/it sent....was most likely off a 2012 swarovision EL. Wrong s/n format, wrong font for the numbers and wrong position. Just shows you have to be so careful out there....

To clarify regarding the various SLC's . . .

The original SLC line comprised x30, x42, x50 and x56 models. They were introduced and discontinued progressively over time,
spanning from 1985 to 2013.

The SLC 8x30 was discontinued in 2011. The last unit that I’ve observed is #D8104 09003, so from January 2011.
It was replaced by the CL 8x30 (and 10x30) introduced in 2011. The earliest that I've observed is #K8103 05022
(so 22 in the number series; a display unit marked 'DUMMY' with external lenses and movable controls but no view through it).

The original SLC x42's were discontinued in 2010, with the introduction of the all new SLC x42's.
And the original SLC x56's were discontinued in 2013, with the introduction of the all new SLC x56's.

John

p.s. The introduction and discontinuation dates for the various original series SLC models can be found in post #12 at:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back