• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski’s That Never Were! (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
In most industries there are ongoing processes of product development. Ideas may be developed to various degrees;
from initial pen and paper concepts, to non-functional mock ups, to functional prototypes.
However, for a variety of reasons many ideas then don’t make it to commercial production.

And most of these exercises remain in-house. However, in the last couple of weeks while looking for other things,
I came across two examples from Swarovski.

John

Coincidentally, Swarovski has just posted about a design exercise with students from a master’s programme at FH Joanneum Graz university!
See: Cooperation with the FH Joanneum Graz

A) Pocket Binocular design from 2008
The design is from Marc Newson, see a single image without any other information, from: Photos: Photos: Marc Newson’s Midas Touch
In terms of detail, the orientation of the neck strap lugs would seem to be an obvious problem.

At the time, the original 8x20 and 10x25 Pocket models were in production, and went on to be replaced by the CL x25 line in 2013.

Since then Marc has been responsible for the external design of the CL Curio 7x21 introduced in 2021.
See: Marc Newson talks about the CL Curio
And: Projects | Marc Newson Ltd

image.jpg

Last edited:
B) Monocular design from 2012
This was done by the Pesche design group: Monokular-Studie: Vogelbeobachtung mit Swarovski Optik

The translated text states:
'Monocular Study: Birdwatching with Swarovski Optik
Monocular study of a compact birding product for entry into the world of high-priced optical brands.
One-handed operation allows the bird watcher to react quickly.
It is the ideal product to complement a manufacturer's existing offering.
Both the positioning in the product range and the price-performance ratio enable good market penetration.
The study was presented at Swarovski Optik in 2012.'

Perhaps what’s most significant are the variations to the the focuser location.
While two of the examples have it close to the eyepiece, most have it further towards the objective.

In terms of scale, the examples seem to be the size of a x30/ 32 roof prism model (?).
The roof prism products at the time were the original CL x30 and EL SV x32 both introduced in 2011 (SLC 8x30 production had ended 2010).

Monocular.jpg

Attachments

• 1) Designs.jpg
    1) Designs.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2) Renderings.jpg
    2) Renderings.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hideous to say the least (yellow binocuar), at least the marketing decision makers had sense that day. These days however I could see it or a similar facsimile coming to market.

Zeiss and Leica?

Interestingly, there doesn’t seem to be any Zeiss examples available on the net. It would seem that Zeiss has a policy in this regard.

In contrast, there are images of a variety of Leitz and Leica prototypes. The best source is Gary’s site: Binoculars by Gary Hawkins
And Tobias' recent article about the Leica museum that also includes various Leitz and Leica examples: Leica Wetzlar Leitz park and binoculars

- - - -
In relation to post #2 above, Gary includes an example of a limited production Trinovid monocular made for NASA.
See a number of additional images from: Leitz Trinovid 10x40 NASA Monokular / Monocular

Leitz Trinovid 10x40 NASA Monocular.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mac,

Alternatively . . . we may both be wrong!

I've previously posted about Hölbl’s involvement in the development of the SL Porro prism binocular, in post #5 at: Swarovski SL porro models

One thing that always struck me as slightly odd was that the drawing for the SL is marked '9/81',
since the concept development would have long preceded the 1980 introduction of the SL.

So it's possible that it's not a date but rather a sequential number e.g. 9 for work for Swarovski and 81 and 86 representing different ideas?

If so, then following the SL project, Werner similarly explored the concept of an 'ideal' radically stylised CF roof prism binocular
e.g. in terms of aesthetics vs practicality, the tapered focuser and the lack of provision for a focus mechanism.

The idea may have been with Swarovski for some time, before commencing development and then introducing the EL in 1999.

John

Attachments

• Hölbl's SL drawing.jpg
    Hölbl's SL drawing.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I like the Monocular design..
I did suggest to Swarovski that there was a place for a 20-40x50 pocket zoom scope about 10 years ago, and they told me to have a look in a future.

PS.
Not many people know that when Leica released the Duovids, Swarovski also started to seriously look at a duel magnification Binocular.
According to my information the project actually got all the way to the drawing board and prototype, however they had problems with design and tolerances on the duel image plus concerns if they would sell in any great number.

I'd have loved to have seen the prototype or initial design

Cheers Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back