• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATX blurry image (1 Viewer)

Popeyethesailor

United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for some advice please,

I brought a new Swarovski ATX with 85mm lens in the summer and I am experiencing a slightly blurry and darker spot in the Center of the image, I find this more noticeable when I am zoomed fully in.

The out of focus patch when on full zoom is roughly 1/8 of the view and this is dead Center.

When I increase the distance from my eye to the lens and move my eye around the slightly blurred patch stays in the Center so I don’t believe it is my eyes.

This is the 2nd ocular eye piece I have had from the dealer as the first had a very visible speck inside the lens.

When shining a torch through the scope I cannot see any specks of dust which I think would cause what i am experiencing, but I can see some very slight marks poss very faint scratches on the glass which separates the two halves of the scope when broken down, now these have always been there from new and was on my first ocular eye piece, I just think maybe I am far too picky.

I am new to high end optics so any advice is great fully received.

Incidentally I do not experience this with with my NL pures.

I am looking for feedback before I contact Swarovski

Many thanks Stuart

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. We are certainty entitled to expect flawless views from products like this.

If it is possible, perhaps you can post pictures on the thread so that users can see the effect you are describing?

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. We are certainty entitled to expect flawless views from products like this.

If it is possible, perhaps you can post pictures on the thread so that users can see the effect you are describing?
Hi Will thanks for the reply, I will try and take a picture of the image but my experience of digiscoping is the image that I get with my iPhone is nowhere nearly as clear as what I can see with my eye.

More knowledgable people here may know exactly what the likely cause is, but in this situation it hardly matters as it's defective in any case and should be immediately exchanged. If this central flaw wasn't present with your first eyepiece, you know it's in this one and can just exchange that. I'm also growing curious about a dealer who offers two in a row with visible defects... but Swarovski will take good care of you.

I've looked through a few ATX (belonging to friends or folks I’ve seen on twitches) up to the 115mm and views have been great.
my only (pretty limp) suggestion is I f you bought it at a physical shop - go and see them

Swarovski's after sales service is legendary and I’m confident they’ll look after you

I've looked through a few ATX (belonging to friends or folks I’ve seen on twitches) up to the 115mm and views have been great.
my only (pretty limp) suggestion is I f you bought it at a physical shop - go and see them

Swarovski's after sales service is legendary and I’m confident they’ll look after you
Hi all, that is the wrong thread. o_O Should go to the scopes.

Hi all, that is the wrong thread. o_O Should go to the scopes.
Sorry am I able to change it now

I brought a new Swarovski ATX with 85mm lens in the summer and I am experiencing a slightly blurry and darker spot in the Center of the image, I find this more noticeable when I am zoomed fully in.

The out of focus patch when on full zoom is roughly 1/8 of the view and this is dead Center.

When I increase the distance from my eye to the lens and move my eye around the slightly blurred patch stays in the Center so I don’t believe it is my eyes.

This is the 2nd ocular eye piece I have had from the dealer as the first had a very visible speck inside the lens.

When shining a torch through the scope I cannot see any specks of dust which I think would cause what i am experiencing, but I can see some very slight marks poss very faint scratches on the glass which separates the two halves of the scope when broken down, now these have always been there from new and was on my first ocular eye piece, I just think maybe I am far too picky.

Many thanks Stuart
Thanks for the reply’s, this evening I looked at a fairly bright high up star with no clouds, and on full magnification I cannot get a sharp image, is this normal ? I tried to take a pic but it wasn’t very easy 🙄

Hi,

please point your eyepiece towards an evenly lit white wall (or a cloudy sky) and look into the objective. Do you see any dark spots?

Joachim

Hi,

please point your eyepiece towards an evenly lit white wall (or a cloudy sky) and look into the objective. Do you see any dark spots?

Joachim
Hi, so I did that today and this is the best photo I can get of what my eye sees, inside this darker area I cannot get a sharp image, the photo of the CCTV camera is 60 meters away and I also cannot get a sharp image on the writing of the camera unfortunately the photo has not come out great, lastly last night I focused on a bright star and I can’t get a sharp image on that either, all of these are at max zoom.

Attachments

• EF89D74E-C64D-4AD6-9D8F-A054241E4D4D.jpeg
    EF89D74E-C64D-4AD6-9D8F-A054241E4D4D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 8B160415-E061-46ED-ABED-5D7C770A1C09.jpeg
    8B160415-E061-46ED-ABED-5D7C770A1C09.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
Hi,

thanks for the images - so what we know:

• the spot is far from the focal plane as it is not sharp when looking through the objective end either.
  • the spot was not there with a different EP module - so the objective is probably not the culprit.

Can you see spots or haze when you shine a flashlight into the EP module?

Joachim

Hi,

thanks for the images - so what we know:

• the spot is far from the focal plane as it is not sharp when looking through the objective end either.
  • the spot was not there with a different EP module - so the objective is probably not the culprit.

Can you see spots or haze when you shine a flashlight into the EP module?

Joachim
Hi, I cannot see any spots at all looking through the EP module, however when looking at the exit pupil on full zoom from a distance of around 18 inches instead of a complete circle I am seeing 3 circles in the pattern below, ( excuse my sausage finger drawing) not that I know much at all about optics but it would make sense to me if a lens was slightly out of align or there is an imperfection on a coating.
I have not used this scope as much as I would have liked since buying it new in the summer but I have always thought the image quality is not what I would have expected for an alpha scope, my NL’s and EL’s a joy to look through.
I will contact Swarovski and hopefully I can give them the complete scope and it comes back perfect in a few months

Attachments

• 96E476C9-C51A-45C0-8323-06DAE5B1A90A.jpeg
    96E476C9-C51A-45C0-8323-06DAE5B1A90A.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 4

Many thanks Stuart

Thanks for the reply’s guy’s. Swarovski have been in touch and I am taking it to them this week, they have estimated it will be back with me in 4 months.
I will post their comments it may help someone else in the future.

No idea, sorry. But I would perhaps see the dealer as the first point of call. If you have bought something defective the important relationship is with the dealer.

Thanks for the reply’s guy’s. Swarovski have been in touch and I am taking it to them this week, they have estimated it will be back with me in 4 months.
I will post their comments it may help someone else in the future.

No idea, sorry. But I would perhaps see the dealer as the first point of call. If you have bought something defective the important relationship is with the dealer.
If I was doing this, I would definitely try and go through the dealer. If anything went wrong with the post, their insurance would be more likely to cover it (depending on the dealer, of course), which is obviously preferable to paying for fully insured postage or driving miles out of your way.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back