• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DCB (1 Viewer)

severngoose

Hi

I have recently purchased a Swarovski DCB adapter for use with my Swarovski ATS 65 HD Angled Scope.

I am very pleased with the adapter but am disappointed that it cannot be used the swarovski stay on case.

Does anybody out there know if there is a stay on case which is compatible with the DCB adapter and scope?

Look forward to any advice that anybody can give me.

Regards

Severngoose

Just bought both and am a bit ticked off that the Internet store I bought them from did not point this out to me. US$ 200.00 down the drain:-(

Hi everyone,
I'm considering buying a Swarovski scope and DCB adaptor. I'm wondering how you have found the DCB adaptor, and which cameras you have used with it so far. Most of the reviews on the web are from people who use the DCA adaptor. So I'm quite excited to find some people who actually have the DCB.
Thanks,
Flying Fish

Hi Flying Fish,

I have returned to using the Swarovski DCB after trying, I think, almost every swing-away camera bracket out there. It was the first camera bracket I bought when I started digiscoping.

The thing I found out about the DCB is that it is hard to set up, because it is so tight. I picked up a trick here on this forum that helps with the tightness. You take a lead pencil (#2 or softer) and rub on the bottom of both raceways. The pencil lead will make it easier to move the camera platform in and out, the main problem in setting up. I also sprayed both the raceways and the camera attachment with a good grade of teflon silicone lubricant and let it dry completely before trying to use it. When moving the camera platform in and out, hold down on the end of latch handle and the platform will be easier to move. Once you get everything set up, make some marks showing where each part is in relation to the other parts and it will be easier to set up next time.

I have even made a shutter cable bracket for my DCB by drilling a hole at the very end of the right raceway and attaching a threaded bolt. The camera platform is made out of some kind of plastic, but it drills fine. I then took a piece of 3/4" aluminum bar stock and make a piece to use at the bottom of the bolt to position it out from the camera platform. I used another piece at the top, with a threaded hole, to hold the shutter cable.

The DCB is built like a tank, but its' most endearing quality is that it will repeat its' settings when you swing it up and return it to the down position. By the way I have used the following cameras with the DCB: Nikon CP8400, Fuji F30 and Nikon P5100.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Robert

Last edited:
Thanks Bluejay for that - I appreciate it,

So in terms of focussing and aligning to the eyepiece and the quality of your photos - you've been happy with the DCB?

Flying Fish - Keith

The DCB in itself is a very good piece of kit. I am still trying to figure out the fastest way to set it up anew each time, but it certainly works well once everything is in place. I am using a Ricoh Caplio GX100 as it is one of the few digital compacts with the possibility to attach a shutter release vie the USB port (and is a very good camera in its own right).

The DCB, in my opinion is the best swing away adaptor available, the reason that people prefer the DCA is that the DCB is rather bulky and difficult to fit into a small backpack.

Thanks Bluejay for that - I appreciate it,

So in terms of focussing and aligning to the eyepiece and the quality of your photos - you've been happy with the DCB?

Flying Fish - Keith

Flying Fish,

I am happier with it than any of the eight or ten I have tried. They all have some design problem, every one. It is just a matter of working around these problems.

Regards,

Robert

swarovski dcb-a

I purchased this adaptor for the swarovski 65 with an angled eye piece. I can fit it on well enough - and even figured out to remove the rubber cap, but my canon sd900 when on is still some distance from the eye piece, and I don't seem to be able to focus either through the lcd on the eye view. I apologize for such an amateurish question, but are there specific small cameras I should be thinking about, or can I use the little canon?

I purchased this adapter for the swarovski 65 with an angled eye piece. I can fit it on well enough - and even figured out to remove the rubber cap, but my canon sd900 when on is still some distance from the eye piece, and I don't seem to be able to focus either through the lcd on the eye view. I apologize for such an amateurish question, but are there specific small cameras I should be thinking about, or can I use the little canon?

Hi Mahlon,

I am not familiar with your camera, so is your problem one of not being able to adjust the camera left and right enough, or is a problem of not being able to get the lens close enough to the scope eyepiece? In other words not having enough in and out adjustment. Have you been able to move the plate holding the camera (called a cross slide) up or down the height slide? If not, release the clamping lever by swinging it toward you and when it is pointed directly toward you, push down on the lever and it should slide down the height slide.

See also my posting earlier in this thread for additional information on the DCB.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Cover for your scope etc

Hi

I have recently purchased a Swarovski DCB adapter for use with my Swarovski ATS 65 HD Angled Scope.

I am very pleased with the adapter but am disappointed that it cannot be used the swarovski stay on case.

Does anybody out there know if there is a stay on case which is compatible with the DCB adapter and scope?

Look forward to any advice that anybody can give me.

Regards

Severngoose

Just read about your problem- have a look if this is anygood

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rain-Cover-fo...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.

Let me know if you do only I've just bought the DCB and about to buy the P5100 soon,
Cheers,Keith.

I am using a Canon SD 9000 elph - actually my wife's. I can make the horizontal adjustment, but when all is said and done and I have pushed the slider as far towards the eye piece as possible, I am still too far away. So the question is which camera might I use for this particular adapter, which I like in concept as it can be attached and then flipped forwards and out of the way unless I need it.
Mahlon

I am using a Canon SD 9000 elph - actually my wife's. I can make the horizontal adjustment, but when all is said and done and I have pushed the slider as far towards the eye piece as possible, I am still too far away. So the question is which camera might I use for this particular adapter, which I like in concept as it can be attached and then flipped forwards and out of the way unless I need it.
Mahlon

Hi Mahlon,

At present, I use the Nikon P5100 with the Swarovski DCB. It works with no adjustment problems that I have found.

Regards,

Robert

I purchased this adaptor for the swarovski 65 with an angled eye piece. I can fit it on well enough - and even figured out to remove the rubber cap, but my canon sd900 when on is still some distance from the eye piece, and I don't seem to be able to focus either through the lcd on the eye view. I apologize for such an amateurish question, but are there specific small cameras I should be thinking about, or can I use the little canon?

Hi Mahlon -

Hmmm...what I have often found with the Elph / Ixus cameras is that they actually need to have the end of the lens set AWAY from the eyepiece back element by almost 1/2 inch. If the lens is too close, there are weird black edges that are not vignetting, and they come and go as you wiggle the camera a bit.

Try setting up your camera on the DCB with the end of the lens back at least an inch from the eyepiece. With the camera on Wide-angle and the scope on 20x, you should have a clearly-defined black circle (the vignetting). Now move the camera forward on the DCB until you see the smooth edges of the vignetting start to get weird (sorry for the lack of a technical term). Now move it back about 1/8 inch, so the vignetting is again well-defined. When you zoom the camera's lens, the vignetting should disappear.

If you are concerned about stray light getting in between the eyepiece and the camera lens, extend the eyecup. Some guys have also constructed a black plastic sleeve that fits indise the eyecup and over the lens to further cut down the light. That may be unnecessary for most situations, but if it makes them happy.....

Report back if this works,

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back