• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Giant Binoculars vs BTX (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Just a question to the Forum.

If Swarovski decided to do a range of Giant Binoculars with "Swarovision technology" would anyone be interested in purchasing them, or would you prefer the current BTX system with changable objectives ?

Personally I'd love a pair of 20x80 or 25x100 NL's πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

Cheers Tim

Check out my thread: πŸ˜‰

For birding, I prefer the BTX format. That's because of the dramatic weight savings compared with dual objectives with equal diameter. I have found the 95 mm BTX to be mostly bright enough, and a bincular telescope would have to be at least 2x85-88 mm to give comparable resolution.

For astronomy, it would be different.

If Swarovski decided to do a range of Giant Binoculars with "Swarovision technology" would anyone be interested in purchasing them, or would you prefer the current BTX system with changable objectives ?

Cheers Tim
I mean I like the sound of 25x100 but it would be a big heavy affair

For birding, I prefer the BTX format. That's because of the dramatic weight savings compared with dual objectives with equal diameter. I have found the 95 mm BTX to be mostly bright enough, and a bincular telescope would have to be at least 2x85-88 mm to give comparable resolution.

For astronomy, it would be different.
Thanks for your input ..

Cheers
Tim

Loving the views of my APM 70mm ED binos with 76degree apparent field of view eyepieces for a 30x view (wider than NL). Not lightweight, but very nice views, the individual eye focussing is fine if you’re not looking too close or following fast moving things. It sure what advantage swaro would bring… rubber armour… these things are already nitrogen purged. APM do a pair with zoom eyepieces that have a very reasonable (and constant width) field of view if you need those things.

Peter

Hi,

you mean something like the 30x75 bins shown here?

Joachim, who would always prefer a pair of astro big bins... for astro. And a BTX (or just a normal angled scope) for birding.

Hi,

Joachim, who would always prefer a pair of astro big bins... for astro. And a BTX (or just a normal angled scope) for birding.
Also the Kowa Highlander

Loving the views of my APM 70mm ED binos with 76degree apparent field of view eyepieces for a 30x view (wider than NL). Not lightweight, but very nice views, the individual eye focussing is fine if you’re not looking too close or following fast moving things. It sure what advantage swaro would bring… rubber armour… these things are already nitrogen purged. APM do a pair with zoom eyepieces that have a very reasonable (and constant width) field of view if you need those things.

Peter
Thanks for your input.
I'm thinking of getting a big pair of ED Binos from APM as it happens but I'd prefer if Swarovski did some..

Cheers
Tim

Hi,

Brilliant.

Many thanks for this Jring. I didn't know Swarovski did Giant Bins... Do you know if they did another other versions...

Thanks again.

Tim

Many thanks for this Jring. I didn't know Swarovski did Giant Bins... Do you know if they did another other versions...

Hi,

yes, the even older CF version shown here... including alt/az mount to put on top of a concrete or steel column...

The one on ebay is IF... so quite close to astro big bins... except those are 45 or 90 deg and don't need a super high tripod...

And then, there is of course this... for very severe cases of aperture fever... although following birds is a bit tricky...

Joachim

Last edited:

Cheers Tim

I'm happy with the BTX65/95 combo at 35x and occasionally used the 1.7x converter. Wide FOV and very comfortable on the eyes for hours...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back