• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC is now morphing into the Kahles Helia S 42 (1 Viewer)

Well that seems logic to me. The former Kahles bins were from Japanese origine and I can imagine SONA/Absam won't touch them.
The current (april) Kahles bin is the Swarovski SLC in a new jacket and SONA can service them easily.

Jan
That's good to know Jan. It'll keep Swarovski on their toes then...knowing that their new CL x42 models when released may well compete against their now divorced but still worthy SLC's/Helia S

Well that seems logic to me. The former Kahles bins were from Japanese origine and I can imagine SONA/Absam won't touch them.
The current (april) Kahles bin is the Swarovski SLC in a new jacket and SONA can service them easily.

Jan
That's great news! Hopefully, the price is softened a little to better compete with the competition out there. I like the SLC's but, the price was a just bit uncompetitive to me for the quality and I generally ended up with a Zeiss alternative.

Helia S Availability in North America?

On the Kahles site ( https://www.kahles.at ), there is a button on the top right of the page that allows selecting from a variety of languages
The panel showing the languages includes the text 'Products may vary from country to country'

There are 2 English language choices:
• English, and
• English USA+CAN

Selecting the first shows the full range of binoculars, including forthcoming Helia S models
However, the second does not show any binoculars. So presumedly the Helia S is not going to available in North America
- at least as is currently indicated by the main Kahles site

John

Wondering a bit about this..

When it comes to hunting scopes, my eyes VASTLY prefer Kahles scopes to Swarovskis.
Not sure what it is.. but the Swarovskies I have tried seems bland compared to my Kahles scopes.

I am wondering if they will use Kahles optics, glass or coatings inside instead of Swarovskis?
If they do.. and my eyes like them as I do with scopes... I can see Kahles binoculars in my future.
Hope they do a 15x56...

I went ahead and picked up a Swaro made SLC 8x42 to avoid any and all "issues", etc with anything to do with the Kahles brand. It is a superb glass, as the owners of this jewel already knew.
Beyond the focus adjustment which one can live with that's a hard binocular to beat! I think you'll be VERY pleased!

Thanks Chuck. As luck would have it, my focus mechanism is very smooth in both directions, only very so slightly harder in one direction. A non issue in this sample, so far at least.

Is the 8x42 better in any way compared to the others in the SLC line?
Well the others are different all together-specifically aperture, I have the 10X56 and the 15X56 along with the 8X42 and they are all stellar. One thing of note the focus on the 56 models are very smooth, as was one 8X56 I used for a day/as compared to the 42 models I tried. All have long travel, however on the 56 I like that feature when observing at distance.
My 8X42 is getting better regarding grittiness of focus, but likely will never be like the SLC 56 . Perhaps the 56 SLCs with the larger bridge (more room allows for the focus mechanism to be upgraded) is the reason. But I am very impressed with the 8X42, and pleased that I obtained one.

Andy W.

To illustrate Andy’s point as to why the focusers on the x42 and x56 models may differ, see a composite image
The original was on: http://kikkerter.no

The bridge on the x56 is around 70% longer, so it’s not surprising that Swarovski was able to address the criticism of the earlier x42 focuser

John

Attachments

• SLC x42 vs x56.jpg
    SLC x42 vs x56.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 42
The bridge on the x56 is around 70% longer, so it’s not surprising that Swarovski was able to address the criticism of the earlier x42 focuser
Oddly, I don't recall anyone complaining about focusing feel in the original "SLC HD" model with identical dimensions, which had a more intricate mechanism with closer focus and faster travel. So finally the unresolved issue (however it arose) has been passed on to a Kahles clientele who may be less picky about it?

Noticed that B&H had the SLC 8x42 WB priced at 1399. I wonder if this is discontinued pricing. Remember that the SLC-HD came in at a price of 2100 US dollars back in 2010, and about 2K with some discounting and when you factor in inflation, the price of these instruments have really come down. I hope the same happens for the NL.

I thought the price of the SLC very competitive with what’s out there for the quality and for the lifelong Swarovski backed service. I can’t think of another binocular that bests the SLC at a lower price (reliability, ergonomics etc). It’s a step down to the Trinovid or Conquest level (higher end Kamakura level) except for the minimum focus distance.

I am wondering whether Swarovski has a modern replacement for the SLC waiting to be announced.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back