• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweden (1 Viewer)

Gruff Dodd

Hello

A friend and I will be making a 4 day birding trip to Sweden between 25 - 28 May 2007. We will arrive in and depart from Nykoping and will be birding our way northwards through Vastmanland, Uppland, Gastrikland and Halsingland to Sundsvall, from where we will drive inland through Ostersund to Annsjon (apologies for mis-spellings - can't work out how to type Swedish characters on my keyboard!), before returning south the same way.

Along the way, there are many birds we hope to see, but we are especially keen to see the following:

Hazel Grouse Bonasa bonasia
Northern Hawk Owl Surnia ulula
Tengmalm's (Boreal) Owl Aegolius funereus
Ural Owl Strix uralensis
Great Grey Owl Strix nebulosa

I would be very grateful to hear from any birders on this group living in these areas who would be willing to help us see these birds, or who could suggest any local birders or ringers who might be able to help us. We will be hiring a car from Skavsta airport, and will therefore have our own transport, and would be very happy to detour from the above route if you would be able to help us.

If possible, could you please respond to my e-mail address - gruff 'at' doddg.freeserve.co.uk, as it is easier for me to access this than the internet.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Tack,

Gruff Dodd
Cardiff, Wales

Hello

A friend and I will be making a 4 day birding trip to Sweden between 25 - 28 May 2007. We will arrive in and depart from Nykoping and will be birding our way northwards through Vastmanland, Uppland, Gastrikland and Halsingland to Sundsvall, from where we will drive inland through Ostersund to Annsjon (apologies for mis-spellings - can't work out how to type Swedish characters on my keyboard!), before returning south the same way.

Along the way, there are many birds we hope to see, but we are especially keen to see the following:

Hazel Grouse Bonasa bonasia
Northern Hawk Owl Surnia ulula
Tengmalm's (Boreal) Owl Aegolius funereus
Ural Owl Strix uralensis
Great Grey Owl Strix nebulosa

I would be very grateful to hear from any birders on this group living in these areas who would be willing to help us see these birds, or who could suggest any local birders or ringers who might be able to help us. We will be hiring a car from Skavsta airport, and will therefore have our own transport, and would be very happy to detour from the above route if you would be able to help us.

If possible, could you please respond to my e-mail address - gruff 'at' doddg.freeserve.co.uk, as it is easier for me to access this than the internet.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Tack,

Gruff Dodd
Cardiff, Wales

Living and birding Stocholm,suspect that if these species are paramount for you then you should fy north to luea in the north and hire the car from there...

I'd recommend buying a Grouse Whistle, available in outdoors and hunting shops in Sweden, if you want to see Hazel Grouse. I was given one of these, and lured a Hazel Grouse to it in the forest at the SW corner of Annsjon (Sibe Jay and 3TWoodpecker at same spot). I think they're fairly cheap, and even if you have a tape of their odd high-pitched call it's probably more convenient to use frequently.

Last edited:
Buzzard, Larry - many thanks for your replies - much appreciated.

After visiting Annsjon, we may well travel further north in search of these species.

Buzzard, as a Swedish-based birder, do you know of any birders further north who might be able to help us with these - perhaps some owl ringers who will know of nest sites? We have 4 days to spare, so don't mind travelling if we find local birders able to help. Also, do you know of any good sites for Hazelhen nearer Stockholm e.g. in Vestmanland or Uppland? Please PM me or e-mail me privately if you'd prefer.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Larry, just tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. My e-mail address is gruff 'at' doddg.freeserve.co.uk - thanks again for your help with this.

Try a web search for Ove Stefansson, he is an expert on Great Grey in Northern Sweden and monitors about 40 nest sites, he helped me when I was there a few years back. In fact he wrote a book on this owl, entitled "Vagabond of the Northern Forest. Ove lives near Boden.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back