• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tagged Buteo buteo in the Teutoburger Wald area Germany (1 Viewer)

Elmer Fudd

On Sunday, February 1 2015 I "captured" a buzzard with one of my trail cams I have placed at a salt lick not far away from my home. Not only that this was the first time to get a bird of prey instead of all those pigeons, crows, magpies and jays this buzzard was tagged and it was one of the rare white ones.

J3 had been tagged in June 2014 not far from Bielefeld/Germany by Prof. Dr. Oliver Krueger of the University of Bielefeld.

Any one of you who may see "J3" please contact oliver.krueger(at)uni-bielefeld.de

Greifvogel_an_Sulze_01022015_0910.jpg

On Sunday, February 1 2015 I "captured" a buzzard with one of my trail cams I have placed at a salt lick not far away from my home. Not only that this was the first time to get a bird of prey instead of all those pigeons, crows, magpies and jays this buzzard was tagged and it was one of the rare white ones.

J3 had been tagged in June 2014 not far from Bielefeld/Germany by Prof. Dr. Oliver Krueger of the University of Bielefeld.

Any one of you who may see "J3" please contact oliver.krueger(at)uni-bielefeld.de

Greifvogel_an_Sulze_01022015_0910.jpg

Didn't one of the three legions destroyed by Arminius (Hermann) in the Teutoburger Wald have as one of their symbols a white 'Aquila'? Even if not true, it should be!
MJB

MJB, the Aquila was an eagle. The one I "captured" just 25miles away from the battlefield was his little brother. ;)

But you are right, the way he sits on the ground looks like this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...sis_de_Claudio_(Museo_del_Prado_E-225)_01.jpg

Nice one!
MJB
PS I'm pretty up to speed on Aquila/Clanga vis-a-vis Buteo, but perhaps the ordinary pedes conscriptus tasked with the care of the standard, but not with carrying it into battle, might just view any largish raptor as aquila, and would associate any such white bird with the white standard....

Didn't one of the three legions destroyed by Arminius (Hermann) in the Teutoburger Wald have as one of their symbols a white 'Aquila'? Even if not true, it should be!
MJB

Each of the Legions would have had an eagle. Surely you read Rosemary Sutcliffe's "The Eagle of the Ninth" as a youngster, or "I Claudius" and "Claudius the God" as an adult? Of course the former refers to a legion lost to the Picts, but the latter saga has the full story of Arminius's victory, plus the (alleged by Graves) success of Claudius in recovering one of the lost eagles in what we would now call an intelligence-led operation.

Jumping forward, Napoleon adopted the same device for his soldats, hence "Sharpe's Eagle."

John

Speaking of eagles, that brings me to the idea to get the Haast's Eagle reincarnated and introduced in our area to get rid of the city slickers always intruding into places where wild animals should live their lives undisturbed. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back