• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (8 Viewers)

Does tamron 150-600 works well with canon 600d body? Is there any AF or other issues with this combo?

Have read about some AF Isseus with 600d body, due to some firmware issues, but they were fixed later.
Inputs are much apperciated.

Thanks.

birding_buddy, there were some AF issues with early copies of the Tamron 150-600 (which occurred on any Canon camera body) which were rectified with updated lens firmware. All new copies of the Tamron will now have the updated firmware and will AF just fine with the 600D or any other Canon body.

Not heard of any Tamron AF issues specific only to the 600D!

Thanks for the reply Nick Leech. New tamron lenses means, is there any date range?

I mean should I look for a specific manufacturing date to avoid the older ones.

Tamron FW upgrade UK

Just spotted this on DPReview for those interested. Tamron have updated firmware for the VC so that it detects panning motion. Of course you would have to send the lens in for the update and haven't a clue when it would be available in the UK

http://www.tamron-usa.com/about/updates_canon.php

Sent mine to Tamron UK last week. Had it upgraded and returned within three days. Excellent service. They also checked it over and cleaned it etc.

Just need some decent weather to try it out!

Dave
For what they are worth my efforts with Tamron SP 150-600mm and Canon 400mm 5.6 can be seen here...
https://flic.kr/ps/2ADKYd

Last edited:
After a very long dilemma and confusion, I finally bought Tamron 150-600. Tried both sigma C and tamron in person, took several shots, and finally went with tamron and I love every bit of my tammy. What a lens it is...

Being that said, I dont under estimate Sigma. Its a very good lens as well, each have their own plus and minuses, so I think every one should try both the lens in person, review the shots they took and finally decide.

Why I went with Tamron?

I love the optics. The sharp and 'popped out' image with excellent bokeh.
I found VC to be fantastic.
Tripod collar is very useful to carry around.
Contraty to the reviews, I found tamron's Af to be faster at longer end.
Also till 427 mm, tammy has 5.6 aperture. Very useful in low light. Its like getting 400mm 5.6 lens at reasonable price,a and get 500mm and 600mm focal lengths as a bonus. What an offer!!!

In Sigma C optics was equally good but a bit soft. But the color rendition was excellent.
But the images lacked that tack sharp , and popping out feature of Tamron.
Tripod collar is so irritating, and useless to carry around or for taking shots handheld.
Image in viewfinder was so shaky, even after customizing thru dock, I literally got headache after couple of hundered shots.

Overall, there is no right or wrong answer here. Try both and get the one u like.
As a tammy lover my vote goes for my tammy. I luv this baby very much :):):)

Last edited:
I'm really tempted to get one of these as I crave the extra reach of the Canon 400mm L. They seem to be coming down in price a fair bit as well.

Birding_buddy - I have had a Tammy for a year and, although I like it, I felt compelled to try both the Sigma lenses - hoping to find they would be sharper at 600mm than the Tammy.

First I bought a Sigma Contemporary - I tried it extensively alongside my Tammy on the same camera body with the same subjects and settings. I found the Sigma was marginally less sharp than the Tammy at 600mm. So I sent the Sigma Contemporary back to the shop for a refund.

A few weeks later, I bought a Sigma Sports - encouraged by online reports suggesting it is sharper at 600mm than the Tammy (albeit at greater cost and weight!). Again tested it side-by-side against my Tammy. The Sports may have been very slightly sharper than the Contemporary, but was definitely not sharper than the Tamron. I sent the Sports back for a refund.

Then more recently, I bought a second copy of the Sigma Sports (from a different shop). I thought this was worth trying as there are reports of copy-to-copy variations with these third party lenses. Again, I tested side-by-side against my Tammy. Same result - Tammy is marginally sharper at 600mm! So I again returned the Sigma Sports for a refund.

So I am going to stick with my Tammy!

I think it is interesting that most of the people stating the Sigmas are sharper than the Tammy at 600mm have not owned them at the same time and tried them side-by-side on the same body/subject/lighting/settings. But I know of at least two websites that have performed the necessary side-by-side tests and state the Tamron is sharper at 600mm (at least in the frame centre).

That said, there are other factors to consider besides sharpness - eg AF speed, IS/OS efficiency, colour/contrast, customisability (Sigma dock), etc.

As has been said - each person must weight up the factors of importance to them and - above all, actually try the lenses out on their own camera body.

But all three lenses are superb value for money for us mere mortals who cannot afford or justify a Canon 600mm f4 MkII.

I have to agree

Birding_buddy - I have had a Tammy for a year and, although I like it, I felt compelled to try both the Sigma lenses - hoping to find they would be sharper at 600mm than the Tammy.

First I bought a Sigma Contemporary - I tried it extensively alongside my Tammy on the same camera body with the same subjects and settings. I found the Sigma was marginally less sharp than the Tammy at 600mm. So I sent the Sigma Contemporary back to the shop for a refund.

A few weeks later, I bought a Sigma Sports - encouraged by online reports suggesting it is sharper at 600mm than the Tammy (albeit at greater cost and weight!). Again tested it side-by-side against my Tammy. The Sports may have been very slightly sharper than the Contemporary, but was definitely not sharper than the Tamron. I sent the Sports back for a refund.

Then more recently, I bought a second copy of the Sigma Sports (from a different shop). I thought this was worth trying as there are reports of copy-to-copy variations with these third party lenses. Again, I tested side-by-side against my Tammy. Same result - Tammy is marginally sharper at 600mm! So I again returned the Sigma Sports for a refund.

So I am going to stick with my Tammy!

I think it is interesting that most of the people stating the Sigmas are sharper than the Tammy at 600mm have not owned them at the same time and tried them side-by-side on the same body/subject/lighting/settings. But I know of at least two websites that have performed the necessary side-by-side tests and state the Tamron is sharper at 600mm (at least in the frame centre).

That said, there are other factors to consider besides sharpness - eg AF speed, IS/OS efficiency, colour/contrast, customisability (Sigma dock), etc.

As has been said - each person must weight up the factors of importance to them and - above all, actually try the lenses out on their own camera body.

But all three lenses are superb value for money for us mere mortals who cannot afford or justify a Canon 600mm f4 MkII.

I too have had the Tammy for a year and felt compelled to try the Sigma C which i did for a week. I think subjectively that the Tamron is sharper but think for subtle reasons I would like to switch to the Sigma.
Let me back up a bit and say everything was just dandy with the Tamron and my D7100 shooting at F8. Then I got the D7200 and I was getting to many AF locks and F0 errors so I sent it in. Since then its been working great. The only flaw is that instead of F8 I find I use F9 for the best results. now?? I actually have the Tamron up for sale but there have been no takers .. go figure. Anyways I may just end up keeping it. I recently posted two similar shots .. one with each lens. Have a look .. it's hard to fault either lens here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryand90/19674397320/in/dateposted-public/

I'm tempted to get the Tamron. What's it like with teleconverters or am I just being ridiculous?
I'm aiming to also get the 7d MK2.

Last edited:
The Tamron isn't very good with TCs. From comments made by many people online, the Sigmas seem to work better with TCs. But to be honest, I wouldn't normally consider using a TC with any of these "cheap" zooms.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back