• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taw and Torridge Estuary (1 Viewer)

sooseee

Went out this afternoon hoping to see waders. Saw about thirty redshanks mostly sitting on the muddy bank. A bit further along there were three slightly larger waders separately dabbling in the mud. White bellied, long straight beak, grey/brown back and grey green legs. Didn't see them in flight but think they might be greenshanks. A curlew landed very close to one and it was roughly half the size. Does anyone think they might be greenshanks? First time for me if so! A lovley couple of hours with sun and a fresh breeze which carried the curlew's wonderful cry and the redshanks calls so beautifully. Hope you've had a good day too.

sooseee said:
Hope you've had a good day too.

Working unfortunately not birding - so no not really :'D

Greenshank, sound possible, given the size and colour description although waders are difficult to Id enough anyway, so without a picture!! - if they were a bit bigger than the Redshank you saw, then Greenshank is likely - or Green Sandpiper, if they were a bit shorter. If they were simillar in tone (ie depth of colour) lighter or paler, then again, Greenshank, or if appearing overall darker on mantle and breast, Sand - trouble is this time of year, everything's difficult!!! (Bill of Green Sandpiper is more like the Redshank, whereas Greenshanks are slightly longer 'thinner' and curve slightly upwards although it might not be that obvious). Overall, IMHO, Greenshank are much more 'elegant' and 'delicate' looking than a Green Sandpiper or Redshank - There probably are other possibilities, but those would be the main likely ones, I think.

Glad you had a good day

Where abouts were you looking??

Ive spent lots of time, in my youth watching the Taw/Torridge and greenshanks are about there,Yelland was a good spot for them!!

Stuart

Thanks all. On balance and with your comments, am concluding Greenshank-paler in colour, Deborah and more 'shapely'.Gavin, have quietly got a list -really excited to see it grow and to begin to understand more about habits.etc. Seaton is lovely -last time I was there, some years ago was only casual (if that"s poss) birder.Stuart, I was on the Fremington Quay bit, walking back inland and watching mostly either side of the little bridge joining up with the footpath, so close to Yelland. Glad you have happy memories.If you returned wonder if you would see many changes.
Thanks, Sue.

Hi Sue,

I still get back from time to time, as my parents still live in Bideford !!
If you are interested the local Devon Birds group have meeting in Bideford and are a nice bunch..

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back