• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Back to Kinneil again this afternoon; first thing I saw, both little egrets in the burn. Followed their progress for a couple of hours in among black-tailed godwit, possibly bar-tailed as well, lapwing by the hundred, ditto golden plover, redshank, dunlin and lots of curlew. On the duck front, shelduck by the hundred, gadwall, wigeon, teal by the score and in amongst them as I was about to leave, a green-winged teal drake.

Andrew

Photos from yesterday at Kinneil

Andrew

Attachments

• egrets x2bsmall.jpg
    egrets x2bsmall.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 34
  • golden plover b.jpg
    golden plover b.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 40
  • teal and gwt.jpg
    teal and gwt.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 56
I took a trip over to fife yesterday, starting at guardbridge then to st andrews, west sands, fife ness and then kingsbarns on the way back.

Guardbridge had kingfisher, golden plover 300+, redshank, black tail godwits, greenshank
St andrews nxt to sealife centre...juv swallowWest sands 2 Slavonian grebes
Fife ness...red throated diver, turnstone, gannets and a short-eared owl wich had just come in off the sea.
Kingsbarns..stonechats, rock pipits, yellowhammers61 species in total for the day

Darell

Attachments

• 20101028_27.jpg
    20101028_27.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20101028_44.JPG
    20101028_44.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20101028_61.JPG
    20101028_61.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20101028_171.jpg
    20101028_171.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20101028_175.jpg
    20101028_175.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 36
Sounds like a very good day out, Darell. The Short Eared Owl especially being a great catch. Still need one of those for my year list.
Nice pics too.

Waxwing-tastic day today. Flock of 30+ in Stirling nr Sainsburys at 8:30, then 5 in Doune at 11:00 and 3 in Callander at 14:30. What great birds they are - one of my favourites.

It really is ridiculous how often they are seen at supermarkets; I saw some at Morrison's in Stirling a year past in the spring. I hope the ones on Doune and Callander were using local shops.
Andrew

There weren't any at my supermarket today:-C Seems I'll have to look a bit harder to turn some up.

D

Catching up a bit after an interesting weekend.
Saturday, had a photographic trip for some Autumn colour in Perthshire but managed to find a few birds along the way. A nice wee male Brambling by the river Garry, and a couple of Dippers on the river, just down from the bridge to the Queen's View. A Jay was seen flying over the road a few miles south of Pitlochry. A single Redpoll, a few Greylags and Pink Footed Geese and a flock of Long Tailed Tits at Loch Rannoch. 30 Waxwings at Tummel Bridge (my first of this Winter's influx). A couple of Ravens and some Chaffinches (and not much else, except a single Blackbird) at Rannoch Station.

Sunday, I spent looking for Waxwings round Dundee and Broughty Ferry. Managed to find 4 not too far from home near the crossroads of Clepington Road and Forfar Road in Dundee. Unfortunately they were flying round over the houses, so I never got any photos. Mistle Thrush and Wren at Eastern Cemetery. Turnstone, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Curlew, Rock Pipit, Red Breasted Merganser and Greenfinch at Broughty Ferry. A single Sparrowhawk drifted over when I was waiting for a bus back to Dundee
Potentially the star bird of the weekend was one that I didn't really pay enough attention to at the time. I spotted a Buzzard drifting over where Dundee and Broughty Ferry meet, and had a quick glance through my small binoculars, just enough to rule out Sparrowhawk/Peregrine/Kestrel etc as it was quite high, but obviously a raptor. Decided not to take any photos as it was so high, and I already have way too many shots of high flying Buzzards. I thought that the location was unusual, and moreso when it drifted out over the Tay heading for Fife. I then grabbed a quick photo, which looked "interesting"on the LCD screen. When I got home and put the photo on the computer, I was able to see a lot more detail despite the distance the bird was away from me. It had a dark belly and a white-ish breast and neck/head, dark carpal patches with much lighter feathers inboard of these. I posted it on the ID thread but disappointingly only got 2 replies, one of which more or less agreed with my provisional ID (the other was pretty non-commital, just remarking that Buzzards come in a variety of plumages, which I knew) of Rough Legged Buzzard. I sent a copy of the photo to a well-known experienced local birder who reckons it is possibly a RLB (most likely a juvenile). Pretty chuffed, if it is, as it is a lifer for me.....although wish I'd paid a lot more attention to the bird, and
snapped some photos as it glided slowly over me. Been circulated for further opinions.

Last edited:
i was out on a waxwing hunt myself yesterday,i havent seen waxwings in years,i visited a few recently recorded locations, craigie ave/lunan tce (dundee)tesco/forfar but no luck ,thankfully morrisons at arbroath produced a flock of 30+ waxwings flying around trying to land on a rowan tree,the road was very busy and the birds failed to land,i now have a taste for waxwings and will now have to find some perched birds

Loads of Waxwings in P+K. Over 50 near PO in Kinross today. I saw a Mealy Redpoll on Sunday at the Glen Sherup Car Park in Glendevon. There may well be more about. There were also at least 11 Crossbills and loads of Siskins. Probably 300. i have not looked at Loch Leven since Wednesday last week so I don't know what's going on......

On Monday I had the biggest flock of waxwings I've ever seen in St. Andrews - at least 123 (counting from a photo of the flock in flight!).
No reports of them there since, which is odd. Lots of berry trees in that area (up towards Morrisons) so should still be about.

Rob

My wife and I came upon a flock of around 100 Waxwings just a couple of hundred yards from our house in Perth this afternoon. They weren't feeding at the time, but were gathering in the tops of the trees beside the town lade.

Waxwings still there this morning. I had my binoculars this time and managed to get a more accurate count, despite the mist. 90 individuals, all roosting in the top of one tree. I was just enjoying their quiet trilling chorus when suddenly they were gone, flying west like a wee cloud.

I know everyone's seeing Waxwings this winter, but I somehow felt privileged...

i travelled from dundee out to meigle around past kinordy through forfar ending up in arbroath checking rowans for waxwings,no waxwings seen but i did see plenty of fieldfares feeding in rowans,one tree in particular just s/w of kinnordy had roughly 40 birds,there was also 5 whoopers on frozen water near here,i stopped off at the first hide at murton reserve ,there was a lot of wigeon here which surprised me as i didn,t see a single bird at kinnordy,there were 21 wigeon on the island in front of the hide,many more were on the left bank,all the birds were resting/sleeping,goldeneye/gadwall/mallard/coot/moorhen/goosander were nearby,2 lapwings were on the far island and a small number of greylags were seen in the distance,(maybe this is where all the kinnordy greylags have came from ?)i eventually had perched waxwings in a rowan on the left hand side of the road between the two circles at the bottom of infirmary brae in arbroath,there was 12 birds here and the tree is right next to the road giving excellent views (while driving)i passed them a few times and tried slowing down only for them to take off heading west,at keptie pond there is a single pinkfoot feeding on the far bank,there was also a very nice and relaxed female goosander swimming close to the bank
pics
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/gsa6b.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/tft1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/blackbirdb.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/inkf1.jpg

in the garden

birds piling in thick and fast this morning to the feeders and berry bushes in our garden. 9 yellowhammer, 3 brambling, 14 chaffinch, 7 siskin, 4 goldfinch, 3 fieldfare, 11 blackbird, 1 GS woodpecker + woodpigeon, collared dove, house sparrow, wren, blue,coal + great tit, dunnock, greenfinch and a couple of goldcrest in the conifers at the back.Only a matter of time before the sparrowhawk passes through. The red squirrels are running late this morning, probably stuck in traffic !

i had to have a very local day out yesterday due to my car being snowed in,i decided to head for backmuir wood which is run by the woodland trust and is located at muirhead near dundee,i havent been here for a few years the last time being in springtime and it had an impressive amount of small birds,it has since grown and the website talks of a 2 hour hike,my walk here led me through camperdown park,i took some food to feed the ducks/robins/pigeons at the pond,2 carrion crows were engaged in a very vicious fight which ended when 3 others chased one bird off,3 robins plus 1 great tit were seen,the duck pond really surprised me ,not a single bird
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/dckpond.jpg
passing through birkhill i passed some gardens with feeders,all were very active, mostly blue great tits with chaffinch/blackbird/redwing(1 bird) plus 1 pied wagtail,entering backmuir i thought i wouldn,t see any small birds but there was a sizeable group of blue/great/coal tits at the enterance,1 long tailed tit 2 treecreepers and 1 wren were also here,all these birds were moving non stop searching for food,2 roe deer ran past me and jays were calling,
on the 24th of nov i had a single whooper at morton lochs,the bird was calling very loudly ,this is the first time i have seen whoopers here,no pen present as usual
pics
ltt
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/ltt54.jpg

some snow from backmuir
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/snow3.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/snow2.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/snow1.jpg

I had 100+ waxwings in my garden today. Started on the tv ariel and then moved to the berry bushes, split up into smaller groups but kept coming back together again. they have eaten all the berries i think, so don't know if they'l be around again tomorrow.
Great to see though.
Darell

Had a wee walk along the waterfront in Dundee today. Red Breasted Merganser in beside RRS Discovery, 8 Cormorants fishing together in City Quay, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Blue Tit and Greenfinch along with Blackbird, Robin and House Sparrow at feeders behind the Hilton. Tufted Duck flew past, and a single Fieldfare went over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back