• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Rhummy

The usual reason for pictures failing to upload is the file size. Make sure you've re-sized to below the upload limit.

Finding an osprey on a fence post, is perhaps not that common, I suppose - I usually see them higher up in a tree. But it's not unusual to find them away from water I don't think. Take the Meigle ones for instance in the middle of a field with the river about 1/2 a mile a way at least I guess.

D

Huge numbers of feeding seabirds about half a mile off Kinghorn about 3pm today. Masses of herring gull, kittiwake, fulmar, gannet, cormorant, shag, sandwich tern, common tern plus a few auks. There must have been about five thousand birds in total, I've never seen so many all concentrated over an area of about a mile or so. I suppose it must have been sand eels shoaling as anything bigger would have been to big for the terns.
Also seen this weekend on a visit to Lochore Meadows country park were many calling whitethroat, blackcap, sedge warbler. Other birds seen were great crested grebe, little grebe, grey heron, reed bunting, lapwing, swallow, house martin, buzzard, sparrowhawk and lots of orange tip butterfly. On the mammal front a weasel was seen scurrying across the path.
Never seen such a beautiful spring as this year. Long may it last.
Mark

Quite impressed, driving home from Dundee saw my daily viewing of a Barn Owl at Auchterhouse, but didn't expect to also see a Tawny Owl sitting on a dead tree at the side of the road (tree has only the trunk left, so I noticed the owl silhouette, slowed down and noticed it wasn't a Barn Owl.

Never seen one before - beautiful bird.

Hello all,

I might be doing some birding down in Perth & Kinross and Fife this weekend, with the Ross's Goose and Ring-necked Duck at Vane Farm in mind. Obviously many Ross's Goose records are deemed as spurious. Does the Vane Farm bird fit this category? Or is it seen as genuine? As for the Ring-necked Duck, would I be right in thinking that it has become elusive in recent times? In addition to this, are there any areas nearby that are worth a check/that I could get any information on (e.g. Rossie Bog?) Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Joseph

If your at Loch Leven, it is a short trip down to loch ore meadows at Crosshill. This can yeild a variety of waterfowl and the woods surrounding the loch can hold wood warbler and redpoll. If your travelling through fife along the A92 there is a some ponds near Monimail (NO308128), this is preety good for migrant wader, there was a purple heron here recently i believe. Birnie and Gaddon lochs near Colessie is just 5 minutes down the road from here and can also yeild migrant waders, lots of breeding waterfowl and the wood have warblers and such. The wilderness near Ladybank is also pretty good for similar stuff and also has lots of Sand martins and your almost guaranteed jay. Access here might be restrictive as i still think it is a working gravel pit. If you have time a recommend a stop at the hide at Gaurdbridge, theres nearly always something of interest around there.

Hope thats of some use to ya, good luck !

Backwater Reservoir

Hopefully the correct thread for posting sightings here.

We called between 9.00 am - 10.30 am stopping on the way along the road by the turning area near the reservoir gates. Last year we saw several Whinchat here as well as Wheatear and deer but no sign today. Pheasant, Chaffinch, Meadow Pit, Siskin and Mistle Thrush were the only birds seen.

Moving on we stopped at the car park by the dam. A Cuckoo was calling tantalising close but we couldn't spot it. Several Pied Wagtails and Oystercatchers were on the grassy slope below the dam. We drove across the dam and parked again to look back along the dam wall. A female Goosander was feeding off the rocks in the corner but took off as soon as it saw us. A family of Mistle Thrushes with 3-4 young were on the grass by where we parked. Lots of Meadow Pit along the fence line.

A Kestrel was hovering over the grass embankment of the dam - the first one we've seen since Saturday.

I spotted two Common Sandpiper x2 feeding along the dam about half way along the road and decided to get a little closer. Just as I reached them an Osprey appeared from the NE flying right down to the dam wall in the SW corner but as it began to hunt it was mobbed by Crows, Oystercatchers and gulls and didn't hang around for more than a couple of minutes. Must have been frustrating for it as even I could clearly see several decent sized trout along the edge of the dam!

Heading back to the car I came across a male Bullfinch hopping along the dam wall. It looked odd seeing one feeding on the ground. It was nibbling at any plant/weed it came across, mostly dandelion flowers.

The reservoir itself was almost devoid of birds. Two Wigeon were the only birds on the water. We drove along to the next parking area where we found Meadow Pipit, Mistle Thrush, Redpoll, Coal Tit and Siskin either feeding amongst the gravel or in the trees opposite. I popped down to the water's edge but there was nothing new though I did spot a Buzzard and Osprey further along the road so we headed along there but only found the Buzzard. We had good views though of a deer beside road walking along the fence line.

Two hares and a flock of Common Gull were in the fields below the furtherst parking area.

Attachments

• IMG_8536a.jpg
    IMG_8536a.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8583a.jpg
    IMG_8583a.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8688a.jpg
    IMG_8688a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8657a.jpg
    IMG_8657a.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8725a.jpg
    IMG_8725a.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 46
You had some great sightings up there Ian. I've never seen a Bullfinch on the ground, though I don't know why they shouldn't be LOL.

You've had some good encounters with Ospreys too, by the sounds of it.

D

there was a single osprey sitting in a tree next to the osprey nest at balgavies on monday,the bird had a blue band on its left leg,it sat for a while took off and cirlcled coming back and flying very low over the nest before heading west,mutes were the only birds on the water here although there was a lot of small birds in the trees,murton reserve had plenty of birds on show (maybe the birds prefer the open enviroment because its easier to spot predators?)large number of greylags/several pinkfoots/tuted ducks/1 male pochard/coots/buzzards/carrion crow/lapwing/redshank/1 unidentified wader(wood sandpiper has been present this week)sand martins everywhere/dunnocks,goldfinch and whitethroats carrying food to yougsters,swallows/housemartin,scaup and teminicks stint are in the log book
i did a clifftop walk at auchmithie in the afternoon,lots of gannets flying north,3 puffins/guilemots(the bridled bird has yet again returned to the same ledge)razorbills/peregrine/kestrel/buzzard/golfinch/meadow pipit/linnit/fulmar/shag/cormorant /whitethroat/yellowhammer plus 2 dolphins leaping about
pics
the perched osprey at balgavies
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/osp88.jpg

dunnock

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/dnnck1.jpg

bridled guillemot
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/bgu1.jpg

meadow pipit
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/mpt66.jpg

A good day out yesterday even if it was a little overcast for most of the day.

We headed east in the morning starting off at Murton Nature reserve with -

Sand Martin
Pink-footed Goose
Tufted Duck
Shoveler
Greylag Goose
Skylark
Oystercatcher
Buzzard
Lapwing
Shelduck
Gadwall
Black-headed Gull
Mallard
Little Grebe
Redshank
Blackcap
Whitethroat
Pochard
Swallow
Swift

Next we moved onto Balgavies Loch to view from the hide. On arrival a Red Squirrel was on the feeders in front of the hide - first one we've seen all week. Last year we saw them every day but numers seem to be down this year for sightigns at least though we keep coming across plenty of nibbled fir cones.

An Osprey brought back two very large pike one straight after the other so they had one each to feast on whilst being mobbed by Crows. A terrapin was on the dead tree laid in the water to the left of the hide - same place as last year when we visited. Whilst it was nice seeing the Ospreys I think an otter stole the show for a good half hour as if fed/played in the bay directly below the Osprey island.

Garden Warbler, Blackcap and Willow Warbler were calling constantly in front of the hide.

Birds seen -

Osprey
Garden Warbler
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Blackcap
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Chaffinch
Reed Bunting
Willow Warbler
Blue Tit
Buzzard

Whilst chatting with a couple of birders in the hide they mentioned Glen Prosen as being a scenic drive. We never got there last year so we figured we'd call on the way back west. Unfortunately whilst by then the sun had got out at Balgavies Loch as we headed NW the cloud closed in again though it just about remained fine. I was most impressed with the scenery as we drove up the Glen as far as the parking area by the church. We picked up a couple of new species for the week as well seeing female Black Redstart, Wheatear and then male Common Redstart on the roadside as we drove up the Glen. On the stream by the parking area were Grey Wagtail, Dipper and a female Goosander. In addition two Red-legged Partridge were added to the list on the drive back down.

Birds seen -

Black Redstart
Common Redstart
Cuckoo
Curlew
Lapwing
Wheatear
Grey Wagtail
Dipper
Goosander
Red-legged Partridge

Attachments

• IMG_9493a.jpg
    IMG_9493a.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9589a.jpg
    IMG_9589a.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9704aa.jpg
    IMG_9704aa.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9800a.jpg
    IMG_9800a.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9859aa.jpg
    IMG_9859aa.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 35
At my work there are House Martins nesting on nearly every wall and right beside the windows so lovely views of the wee beasties. Sand Martins and Swallows (and aforementioned H Martins) all regularly feed on the burn that runs by the side of the building. 3 Male Mallards regularly frequent the area too.

On the two raised rock gardens on both sides of the buildings there are 2 Oystercatcher nests. One with 3 eggs and one with 2 eggs. Parents EXTREMELY vicious to everyone who walks past (and unfortunately they have nested right next to the path so it's impossible to avoid them).

Saw a Barn Owl last night flying over the course. Beautiful bird. And 3 Roe deer doing the long jump over the burn!

We revisited Backwater Reservoir this morning and fell lucky with Whinchat. A stunning male was perched on the wires by the gates to the reservoir in almost the exaxct same place we saw them last year.

Four Cuckoo's were patrolling along the wires above the road on the far side of the reservoir with Meadow Pipits following along. The Redpoll was in the same spot again today. Lots of Willow Warbler, Meadow Pipit and Goldfinch all with young in the same area.

Loch of Kinnordy was a little quiet today. No Marsh Harrier and no Osprey whilst we were there. Reed Bunting and Sedge Warbler were giving good views from the Gullery Hide.

Stormont Loch at Blairgowrie visited this morning. Just as we arrived an Osprey took off from the trees on the north side and circled the Loch several times before diving in to catch a large fish and carrying it off towards the west.

Red-breasted Merganser x5 were on the water along with Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Mallard and Coot.

An unexpected sighting was a Common Tern also catching a fish and then heading off west as well closely followed by two Black-headed Gulls. Garden Warbler, Great Tit, Willow Warbler were in the bushes along the south side of the loch and the only Yellowhammer that we've seen/heard all week.

Next we called at Peel Farm and Reekie Linn. Grey Wagtail were on the river and around the farm buildings. Along with Buzzard, Swift, Swallow,Sand Martin, House Martin and House Sparrow.

Backwater Reservoir - Oystercatcher c.10, Common Sandpiper, Redshank x2, Pied Wagtail - all along the dam. Cuckoo, Meadow Pipit, Willow Warbler along the east side.

Tomorrow we head north for our second week staying in Aviemore.

Attachments

• IMG_1373a.jpg
    IMG_1373a.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1428a.jpg
    IMG_1428a.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1565a.jpg
    IMG_1565a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1621a.jpg
    IMG_1621a.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1741a.jpg
    IMG_1741a.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 41
The afternoon was mostly spent in the grounds of Bamff House Estate where we're staying in their cottage. Anyone staying in the cottage has access to the whole of the grounds so we've had a good look around over the week. The evenings have mostly been spent watching the beavers which have spread through the estate since they were re-introduced in 2002. There are now several families on the estate - http://www.bamff.co.uk/beavers.html

Bullfinch, Swallow, Blue Tit and Garden Warbler were all nesting by the cottage viewable through the windows.

Birds seen on Bamff Estate over the week -

Blackbird
Blackcap
Blue Tit
Bullfinch
Buzzard
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Coal Tit
Collared Dove
Common Redstart
Crow
Dunnock
Garden Warbler
Goldcrest
Goldfinch
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Heron
House Sparrow
Jackdaw
Jay
Linnet
Mallard
Meadow Pipit
Mistle Thrush
Oystercatcher
Peacock
Pheasant
Pied Wagtail
Raven
Robin
Rook
Sand Martin
Siskin
Song Thrush
Spotted Flycatcher
Swallow
Swift
Tawny Owl
Tree Sparrow
Treecreeper
Willow Warbler
Wood Pigeon
Wren

Most notable for me was one location whilst sat watching a pair of Spotted Flycatchers I saw nesting within 10m of each other - Great Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher, Great Tit, Coal Tit and Treecreeper each in their own neighbouring tree and all right beside the footpath. Wren were nesting a little further along the path, all along the Cateran Trail where it passes through the estate.

Mammals seen during the week - Deer, Red Squirrel, Rabbit, Hare, Beaver and Weasel.

Attachments

• IMG_2219a.jpg
    IMG_2219a.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1892a.jpg
    IMG_1892a.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2081a.jpg
    IMG_2081a.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0585a.jpg
    IMG_0585a.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0815a.jpg
    IMG_0815a.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 38
A few beaver photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0423a.jpg
    IMG_0423a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0456a.jpg
    IMG_0456a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8464b.jpg
    IMG_8464b.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7257a.jpg
    IMG_7257a.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7302a.jpg
    IMG_7302a.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 42
Ian, I notice you saw Black Redstart in Glen Prosen. Not a common bird by any manner of means in this area, with most of the sightings that I'm aware of being of birds at coastal locations. I'm sure your sighting would be of interest to the local recorder.

Got off to a good start by finding a great White Egret on Kinnordy Loch this morning, typically, camera was still attached to computer at home and spare one had flat batteries. Luckily once I had put word out some friends appeared with cameras !
At lunch-time I took my daughter Alex up to Killiecrankie and we found both wood Warbler and Pied Flycatcher easily, these were both lifers for Alex and brings her to 218 for Scotland I think, catching up rapidly with me.
Other birds up there included Garden Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher and Willow Warbler.
Went round Kinnordy Loch on my bike after tea-time and found Blackcap, Goldcrest, Long-tailed tit, Osprey,Marsh Harrier, Bullfinch, Treecreeper, Gadwall, Shoveller and 8 teal hidden away round the back.

i spent an hour in the hide at balgavies on monday,the 2 ospreys were perched in the tree to the right of the nest,one bird had a small perch in its talons and sat with it the whole hour,these birds have been identified as the same pair from last year hopefully they will breed next year,the warden told me no mutes have bred this year,the feeder area was very busy ,a family of great tits apeared and the adults were rushing about feeding 4 yougsters,a great spotted woodpecker landed on the feeder and the adult tits flew into a nearby tree,one great tit yougster flew onto the feeder right next to the woodpecker,the woodpecker looked surprised,the yougster couldn,t get any peanuts out and joined its parents,a red squirell apeared and dominated the feeders,the squirell couldn,t get any nuts out of the feeder,looking closely at my pics the feeder has a double mesh on it which must limit the size of anything going in or out of it,the feeder went quiet for a while then a stunning jay flew in ,this is the first time i have seen a jay at close range,what a big and beutifull bird it is, i had my lunch sitting on bench in front of the sand martin bank at murton,if anyone wants to get close to sandmartins this is the place to be,the birds were buzzing around me flying within 5 feet of me,there was also a skylark singing directly above me,the black headed gulls are spreading out here and one pair are nesting on the platform used by an oystercatchers last year

pics
2 ospreys the one on top has a fish in its talons
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/osprey222.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/osprey111.jpg

jay +squirell

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/jay3.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/jay2.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/jay1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/sq22.jpg

young warbler +goldfinch

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/warb1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/goldf1x.jpg

black headed gull on nest at murton(luckily the otters haven,t found this place yet)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/bhgull8.jpg
sand martins
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/sandm1.jpg

Last edited:
Visited the newly opened Riverside Nature Park in Dundee (between Dundee Airport and Invergowrie Bay) this afternoon, depsite the wet weather.

To get there, take the road in towards the dump from Riverside, and there is a small car park just before the dump, or you can walk in from Invergowrie. Managed to see 33 species and it certainly looks like a potentially decent place to visit.

However, there are a few fairly minor niggles (which may or may not be fixed over time) - the Lochan (the flooded area visible from the road, in the field) is nigh on impossible to see from the paths. Far better views can be had from outside the park. A small version of the Hide would have been handy here.

The Hide (a wooden wall with a few slots to see through and an angled partial "roof") has slots to view Invergowrie Bay through. There is one at a suitable height for an average height person (5ft 6in or so) to use, however this has a large rose bush smack in front blocking some of the view. There are also two lower slots - for kids? - through which the view is even further obscured by the bushes out front. The two higher slots were a bit too high for me. The area where the hide sits was already beginning to get rather muddy. Again wider views of the bay can be had from outside the park, from on the bridge, although these will be against the light mostly.

It's certainly not all bad though, with views from further along the path back into the bay, so that at most times of day, it will be possible to see any birds in the bay with the sun on them, rather than behind them, as before (or from the bridge). Curlews, Oystercatcher, Gulls, Shelduck, Mallard and Redshank were all seen in the bay.

A mixture of Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, and around half a dozen Stock Dove (a first for me in Dundee) were eating the grass seed in the Eastern fields. Finches (Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Linnet and Greenfinch) and Buntings (Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting) were around, as were Whitethroat and Willow Warbler. Skylark, Swift, Swallow and House Martin were all in the sky above the park, and a single Buzzard was hunting. There are a lot of hedges and bushes which at the right times of year should be a haven for a lot of smaller birds.

Another missed opportunity is the non-inclusion of a wader scrape of any sort (the Lochan being the closest thing to it). There is certainly plenty of scope for a shallow muddy/wet area in the central part of the park, along the lines of the Musselburgh Lagoons, where the birds could continue feeding at high tide.

There are no dog poo bins in the park (yet?) so with the relatively close proximity to Invergowrie and some of the houses on the Perth Road, I can see that the area may become popular with dog walkers, with the likelihood of wee green polythene bags left hanging in bushes, or a minefield of sorts underfoot. Hopefully, I'm wrong with that.

Anyway, it's well worth a visit, despite my current reservations, and hopefully it will turn up some really good birds in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back