• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

Im up in edinburgh on weds and glasgow on thurs this week, can anyone suggest a decent birdwatching spot on the way from edinburgh to cumbernauld? Went barons haugh last week and enjoyed but would like to try somewhere different. Any suggestions?

regarding Jays in Dundee, i have seen a puckle at the edge of the caird park on the road toward the trottick mill ponds, but the 'hot' spot for me just now is any patch of grass beside the 'swallow hotel' roundabout (or whatever its called now), think the last half dozen times i've driven past there i've either seen a Jay flying over, or ones sitting in full view on the grass.

Lovely afternoon birding on the firth of forth. Highlights included bar tailed godwit and just as I was leaving a red breasted merganser, both firsts for me! Loads of curlew, oystercatcher and shellducks couple of cormorants flew in and a shag. Hope I'm up this way again soon!

Also saved a feral pigeon stuck in a sticky trap in a abandoned building in the morning, poor thing was totally unable to move, are these legal?! Seems totally inhumane to me and is an awfu way to go, as a few mice had found on other traps set which was really upsetting to see :(

You can buy those sticky mouse traps in the shop next to mine in montrose, so am presuming they are legal?

but, yes, horrible and nasty

Another after work visit to Riverside Nature park today. Tide was out but lots of waders around, mostly Redshanks and Oystercatchers, plus Lapwing, Curlew and at least 6 Common Sandpiper. Also quite a lot of Mallards and Gulls in the bay. A few Sandwich Terns around too.
Full list was Woodpigeon, Swift, Greenfinch, Carrion Crow, Swallow, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Coal Tit, Wren, Goldfinch, Curlew, Sandwich Tern, Linnet, Blue Tit, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Oystercatcher, Herring Gull, Starling, Common Sandpiper, Lapwing, Redshank, Mallard.
Looks like things are starting to hot up on the mud, and a visit as the tide moves back in to the bay may well prove to be productive, armed with a scope, and the sun at your back (morning visit).

Almost forgot, great views of an adult fox (in the dip where the paths fork at the western end), which when it spotted me, ran across the path in front of me, and leapt over a fence towards the bay. Didn't have a camera with me unfortunately.

Depends where you're travelling from. Basically it lies between the western end of the airport, and Invergowrie Bay. If you're travelling by car, then turn in off the main road as if you are heading for the Council Rubbish Dump. Just before you turn into the dump area itself, you'll see a small car park straight ahead of you. Park in there, then wander round. There are information boards with maps on them.
If you're on foot, then you can access the site from the Invergowrie bay end just where the road goes over the railway. You can also cut down from the Perth Road under the railway via a small footpath, just to the east of the large roundabout at the bottom of the Ninewells Hospital grounds. Cross over the main road, and access through the trees by the side of the Dump access road.

Hope that makes some sort of sense. It's late and my brain is a bit tired.

Basically turn into the Council Dump access road between Invergowrie Bay and the airport, and park in the wee car park at the end of the road (straight on instead of left into the dump). Hope you find it ok.

Had a really productive day around Angus today. Started at Arbroath Cliffs where it wasn't very warm (cloudy), but that did make the birds a bit easier to see against the sea. Sandwich Terns and 1 Common Tern on the rocks with Great Black Backed, Herring and Black Headed Gulls. Also Oystercatcher, Curlew and Redshank. Rock Pipit, Goldfinch, Linnet, Meadow Pipit, Stock Dove, and possibly a Siskin in with the Linnets. Sea watching got me my first Skuas of the year, a Bonxie and an Arctic. Also a Red Throated Diver headed southwest. A lot of Guillemots, a few Razorbills, Kittiwakes, Fulmars and Terns around also.

Next stop was Montreathmont Forest where we saw a Jay near the feeders at the hide, plus a pair of Siskins and the usual suspects. Heard Crossbills along the track in but only managed to see a juvenile on the way back to the car. Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush and Buzzard also added.

Onto Balgavies Loch which proved to be very productive (saw an Osprey over fields to the east en route). Blackcap, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Mistle Thrush, Robin, Pied Wagtail, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, House Martin, Swallow, Swift, Blackbird, Buzzard, Great Tit, Blue Tit, all seen from the path where it passes to the south of the hide (mostly along the fence line) and before the first stile. Added very good views of Jay, plus Goldfinch and Greenfinch further on.

Murton was next stop. Not a huge selection around, but added Lapwing, Sand Martin and Common Sandpiper here.

Headed up a rather quiet Glen Moy where we saw our first Pheasants of the day, plus Kestrels, Common Gulls and Ravens.

Final stop of the day was Loch of Kinnordy where both Marsh Harriers showed well, with the female overflying the Swamp Hide allowing me to get a few nice pictures.

Ended the day on 76 species, which isn't too shabby for July.

Gonna head to Fife Ness tomorrow using public transport to hopefully see Storm Petrel, Sooty and Manx Shearwater (all apparently seen today - fingers crossed they stick around the area long enough for me to see them).

Mission accomplished at Fife Ness today. Saw all three target species.

Easily double figures of Storm Petrels (3 together at one point), probably more than 20 seen - wasn't counting. Picked the first one up from Crail 2 minutes after getting off the bus, off Roome Bay, even just using small binoculars it was noticably different flightwise, and a quick photo confirmed my suspicions. Once I knew what to look for, I picked them up very regularly (and managed distant photos, as conditions were almost perfect for spotting birds out over the water - overcast but bright, with only a slight swell).

Walked out to Fife Ness and perched out on the rocks in front of the hide. Picked up a Sooty Shearwater a short while later, and then a small group of Manx Shearwaters. Storm Petrels were very regular. A single Arctic Skua had a wee look at a flock of Guilemots on the water but didn't linger. A single Red Throated Diver went over quite close in. Only saw a few Fulmars, but gulls were plentiful (Herring, Black Headed, Great Black Backed and Kittiwake), as were Terns (Sandwich, Arctic and Common). More Manxies went through, usually in small groups of 3-6. Cormorants and Shags were regulars as well as Guillemot and Razorbill. Not many ducks - only a couple of Eiders seen, and only Oystercatcher for the waders.

On the walk to/from Fife Ness picked up Whitethroat, Reed Bunting, Linnet, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Grey Heron, Pied Wagtail, Starling, and on Roome Bay Avenue a Buzzard being chased out of Denburn Wood by Carrion Crows.

Brief stop at Guardbridge added a few more species but nothing unexpected. All in all, a successful day, rounding off a very good long weekend. Shame I have to go back to work tomorrow.

A few rather distant photos up now on my flickr page...
www.flickr.com/stonefaction

Last edited:
a bit of a late report

21\07/11
riverside nature reserve 1 hour before dark,2 new species for me here,2 sandwich terns flying directly over me,4 mutes flying overhead heading s/e,30+waders flying past as i stood at the turf viewing point,mostly lapwings with curlews/redshanks/ostercatchers,looks like they have a roosting area just around the corner as there was a steady stream of waders landing here but not visable from the path,a large group of woodpidgeons were having their last feed on the grass in the middle of the reserve and a lesser black backed gull with a large juv was in front of the hide

17/07/11
balgavies loch
a 20 min visit in the hide produced excellent views of juv blue/great/coal tits on the feeders along with sedge warblers in the bushes,2 gs woodpeckers landed on the feeders but were wary of each other,an adult jay flew in with 1 juv in tow, the adult was taking peanuts from the feeder then feeding the nearby juv,the juv made an attempt to land on the stump with the feeder on it but hadn,t mastered the skill of landing,it retreated to a bush to the right of the hide and i could just make out the flapping of the wings each time the adult fed it,1 perched osprey on the island,otters are being reported here around the island and the terrapin which still evades me is showing regulary,
a walk from auchmithie to arbroath this day prouced some close views of gannets flying north plus a very nice peregrine,plenty of juv kittiwakes about looks like they have had a good year here,no flying fulmars seen which is quite unusual

some up to date reports
25/07/11
tenstsmuir area
1 female crossbill
2 summer plumged black tailed godwits
1 pair of mistle thrushes feeding yougsters
family of wheaters
large flock of redshanks
7 ringed plovers
1 little ringed plover
cormorants
stonechats
juv robins
little grebe
heron
5 grey seals
1 cinnabar moth cattepillar

seal2.jpg

lrplover2.jpg

kittiwake88.jpg

woodp2.jpg

btit33.jpg

Last edited:
a bit of a late report

21\07/11
riverside nature reserve 1 hour before dark,2 new species for me here,2 sandwich terns flying directly over me,4 mutes flying overhead heading s/e,30+waders flying past as i stood at the turf viewing point,mostly lapwings with curlews/redshanks/ostercatchers,looks like they have a roosting area just around the corner as there was a steady stream of waders landing here but not visable from the path,a large group of woodpidgeons were having their last feed on the grass in the middle of the reserve and a lesser black backed gull with a large juv was in front of the hide

17/07/11
balgavies loch
a 20 min visit in the hide produced excellent views of juv blue/great/coal tits on the feeders along with sedge warblers in the bushes,2 gs woodpeckers landed on the feeders but were wary of each other,an adult jay flew in with 1 juv in tow, the adult was taking peanuts from the feeder then feeding the nearby juv,the juv made an attempt to land on the stump with the feeder on it but hadn,t mastered the skill of landing,it retreated to a bush to the right of the hide and i could just make out the flapping of the wings each time the adult fed it,1 perched osprey on the island,otters are being reported here around the island and the terrapin which still evades me is showing regulary,
a walk from auchmithie to arbroath this day prouced some close views of gannets flying north plus a very nice peregrine,plenty of juv kittiwakes about looks like they have had a good year here,no flying fulmars seen which is quite unusual

some up to date reports
25/07/11
tenstsmuir area
1 female crossbill
2 summer plumged black tailed godwits
1 pair of mistle thrushes feeding yougsters
family of wheaters
large flock of redshanks
7 ringed plovers
1 little ringed plover
cormorants
stonechats
juv robins
little grebe
heron
5 grey seals
1 cinnabar moth cattepillar

seal2.jpg

lrplover2.jpg

kittiwake88.jpg

woodp2.jpg

btit33.jpg

Nice list.
Little Ringed Plover a great record for that site, could you let me have more details?

Malcolm

A busy day today.

A look at the rocks at Victoria Park brought 6 Turnstone. 100 Curlew + Curlew. Kestrel over the long grass.

A trip to Kinnordy. Both Marsh Harriers with the male showing well over the east side of the loch. Garden Warbler - a first for me. Shame it so drab. Twelve young pheasants running along the path at east end of the loch!

Stopped at Murton on way home and was rewarded with a pair of Slavonian Grebe. No sign of any young.

Two firsts today. Good stuff!

I spent three days camping at Loch Voil near Balquhidder taking advatage of the good weather to do some hillwalking. Notable birds included:

Grasshopper warbler
Redstart
Twite
Ring Ousel
Whinchat
Spotted flycatcher

Also seen my first Scottish Nuthatch in the woods from the viaduct near Lochearnhead, wasn't aware they had moved that far North already. Then later got good extended views of a stoat near Comrie. 8-P

1 little egret at the lurgies montrose basin today,no sight of the spoonbills rb, merganser and greenshank were yearly aditions for me

A belated report of a visit to Riverside Nature Park again, last Saturday (30th). Managed to add 5 new birds to the patch-list - now at 58 species. 4 Dunlin, a Greenshank flying in to Invergowrie Bay late afternoon, a single Sand Martin with the Swallows and House Martins, a Chiffchaff near the hide (lots of tail flicking going on), and a Rook having a bath in the burn outflow. 38 species on the day, and a possible Spotted Redshank spotted later on the photos (pale grey back but also looks smaller than the Redshanks behind. Not a good photo and no sign of it on subsequent photos, so may just be a trick of the light). Lots of Black Headed Gulls (100+ easily), and Sandwich Terns in the bay as the tide came in. Not as many small birds around (maybe just the time of day), but lots in Invergowrie Bay.

Have uploaded the Spottie(?) photo. It's the bird in the centre lower left.

Attachments

• 2011 07 30_1641res.jpg
    2011 07 30_1641res.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 2011 07 30_1641sr.jpg
    2011 07 30_1641sr.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
A very good day bird-wise in Fife today. Started at Guardbridge with a wander down the path opposite the Guardbridge Hotel. 10 Canada Geese, 2 Sedge Warbler, 3 Common Terns, 5 Stock Dove, 1 Dunlin and 20+ Greenshanks and around 20 Goosanders.
2 Little Egrets on the river to the north of the bridge, and a sizable flock of Redshanks (100+) and lots of Curlews and mixed Gulls. Popped up to the other end of the paper mill and saw a couple of Grey Wagtails, Pied Wagtail and Linnets.
Stopped in at the hide hoping to see the Egrets close by, but they'd flown upriver. Finally got my first Kingfisher of the year when a female landed on the post for 30 seconds.
Headed next to Tarvit Pond, Cupar in case the Mandarin from June/July was still around. It wasn't but a Moorhen and a load of mallards were.
Rossie Bog was next on the agenda but a few Lapwings and a single Greenshank were the only waders. Mallards were the only ducks and there weren't too many of them either. A small flock of Long tailed Tit, Blue Tit and Willow Warbler flitted and fed through the trees.
On next to The Wilderness where Little Grebe, Tufted Duck, Pochard and Cormorant added to the list for the day. Lapwings and Curlew also seen here.
Next stop was Angle Park where lots of Coots were dotted around, plus two young and one adult Great Crested Grebe were the best birds. We popped through to the pools behind the 'car park' and spooked two waders by the edge of the pool. Dark uppers and a very noticable white rump/tail suggested Sandpipers. Checking the snatched photos later showed a pale underwing, and confirmed them as Wood Sandpipers (my 3rd new bird for the yearlist of the day after Little Egret and Kingfisher).
Popped in to Birnie and Gaddon but the rain starting seemed to make the birds vanish.
Headed back to Guardbridge to see if we could get better views of the Little Egret. Saw one from the bridge feeding in the middle of the river. It flew to the hide side of the river, so we jumped in the car and headed round to the centre. Unfortunately opening the window spooked the bird which flew over to the far bank. Watched it hunting, stirring the mud/water with one foot and then catching whatever moved.
Headed for home after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back