• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Calm water and perfect light made for ideal viewing conditions today on the forth near Kinghorn. From 2pm to 5 I had at least fifteen arctic skuas harrasing the sandwich terns, a record for me by some distance. Also present were a lot of newly fledged gannets close inshore, practicing their diving skills. Other birds seen were cormorant, eider, kittiwake, red throated diver, turnstone, oystercatcher, and four whoopers flying east upriver. Swallow passage was also noted in quite good numbers too.A really beautiful afternoon.

Had a wee trip round bits of Perthshire today.

First stop was Glen Turret. Saw 2 Buzzards at bottom of the hill road. There were 3 Goldfinches on wires near car park at top of the hill. At least 4 Stonechats near the dam. Lots of Meadow Pipits still around. A Dipper was on the east side of the loch along the shore, and then later at the southwest corner of the dam. 2 Ravens flew along the hilltops, 3 Red Grouse were near the path (with 1 flying above the hills), Pied Wagtail also seen by the dam. 1 Kestrel over the ridge line to the east, 3 or 4 Buzzards on same stretch of hill, and at least 3 Red Kites (3 was maximum in view at one time, but we did have multiple views of singles in the 2 hours or so we were there). Wren was also heard but not seen. 2 Jays were in trees southwest of dam, as were a number of Coal Tits.

Travelling through Sma Glen later we saw 2 Ravens, 2 Buzzards, 2 Red Grouse (they lifted from ridge when a Buzzard landed beside them), Stonechat and Great Tit were heard but not seen around here, and a few Swallows were near the hilltops. A little further on from a lay-by near a bridge over the burn a small flock of Long Tailed Tits was seen (6+ birds).

A flock of around 100 Chaffinches was feeding in a field not too far into Glen Quaich, and 2 Mute Swans on Loch Freuchie. A Kestrel was the only other bird of note in Glen Quaich. A Jay was seen on the eastern outskirts of Aberfeldy flying over the road just before the distillery.

Stopped off at Loch of the Lowes where we had 2 Buzzards above the hills to the north, and 4 Red Kites (3 over the loch together at one point) all circling between the loch and the hills to the north/northeast. Also Great Crested Grebes, Mallard and Tufted Ducks on the loch. 2 of the Great Crested Grebes were displaying to one another complete with head shaking and weed offering. A Treecreeper was in front of the hide with Blue & Great Tits. 4 Pheasants came to the feeders and 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers were in the trees between the hide and the car park.

A not bad day out, even if we didn't see the two main target species - Short Eared Owl and Hen Harrier. Plenty of prolonged views of Red Kites to make up for it, at two new locations for seeing these great birds for me.

Re Riverside, keep meaning to make a visit here. Maybe if you start a thread it might encourage some new visitors.

My birding seriously curbed by being on night shift but did enjoy a good few thousand geese over the house this evening.

Popped down to Riverside after work yesterday where it looks like they've been doing some work this week. On the plus side, a few areas of path prone to flooding have been sorted out, it appears (time and wet weather will tell).

On the minus side, a LOT of vegetation has been chopped down/cut back - the longer grass on the hill, where the Skylarks and Meadow Pipits have been feeding has been cut right down, as have the "fields". A lot of the weeds along the path sides have been chopped back too, so a lot of potential finch/bunting feeding areas have been decimated. It now has more of the look of a place to exercise dogs (which are supposed to be kept under close control, or on a lead in the park but seldom are), and is increasingly being used as such. Have had a few dogs running around and spooking birds I was watching without any sort of apology by owners - I pointed out to one owner that dogs were meant to be under close control in the park, so he put dog on the lead until he thought he was out of my sight before letting it off again. Nature Park? - nope just another place where you have to watch where you're putting your feet. Shame....it did look promising for a while.....

October 3rd.

Out for the day around Angus with Joan Farrell. Started at Loch of Kinnordy where a Goldcrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Chiffchaff were the highlights. Wigeon, Teal, Tufted Duck, Shoveler and Gadwall out on the loch and a large flock of lapwing flew around a bit.

Next stop was Forfar Loch where a female Scaup was easily spotted in among the Tufties near the Leisure Centre. A small flock of Canada Geese were a bit further round to the north, and when we got closer a Pintail was seen in amongst them. Still 3 juvenile Great Crested Grebes plus a few adults around. At least 30 Little Grebes (most I've ever seen in one place) was a bit unexpected. A small mixed flock of Siskin and Redpoll were in the trees near the wooden viewing platform and a mixed flock of tits including double figures of Long Tailed Tits flew through. 2 Magpies were seen and a couple of Lesser Black Backed Gulls were still around as well.

Next stop was Murton where Gadwall, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Lapwing and Coot were seen.

Balgavies Loch had a Great Spotted Woodpecker on the feeders but not too much else, although a flock of Geese were at the eastern end but were only noticed in passing (may have been Greylag).

Montreathmont Forest produced at least 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers and 1 Green Woodpecker. 3 Siskins and Blue, Great and Coal Tits were on the feeders at the hide, plus Chaffinch. Jay was heard, and a smallish group of Crossbills were briefly seen near the road end of the track.

The single Whooper swan was still at a rather windy Lurgies, as was a Greenshank and a flock of Dunlin. Redshank and Lapwing were also seen in large numbers and 37 Canada Geese were also around, a few Knot were also in with the Redshanks.
A few small groups of Pink Feet flew over.

Final stop of the day was at Arbroath where Oystercatcher, Curlew, Turnstone, Kittiwake, Gannet and a distant (Red Throated?) Diver were seen.

73 species was the final total for the day.

eden centre 12.00am, 1 spotted redshank (lifer for me)2 kingfishers including a 1 second landing on the post in front of the hide,first sighting of the year for me, 1 peregrine sitting on a rock,2 greenshanks,2 gooseanders,2 magpies, 4 black tailed godwits,lots of redshanks,curlew,cormorant,heron,buzzards,mallards,greenfinch,chaffinch,blue tit ,woodpigeon usual gulls

mortonloch
1 adult little grebe with 2 juvs nearby swimming in front of the railway hide,it was great to see the chicks at this stage with their stripey heads,1 sparrowhawk spent quite a bit of time flying high up and circling right out in the open,i thought it might be another rarer species but having studied my pics im now going for sparrowhawk,quite a few wigeon in front of the berry hide plus teal/mutes/mallard /little grebe/woodpigeon no small birds seen in the trees but jay robin heard

tayport shoreline
lots of black tailed godwits,2 grey plovers,redshanks,curlew,oystercatchers,cormorants,eiders,15 shellducks,woodpigeon,1 meadow pipit,swallows,house martins,carrion crow,heron,great black backed gull,mutes,pied wagtail

Had these two wee guys loosely hanging aboot with some ringed plover at Elliot today, I'm stuck - can anyone ID them!!

IMGP4157.jpg

I ken the qaulity is awful, but if you zoom you might have a clue!!

ta

What I suspected (honest!!) - can't really see it on the pics but they both ahd a very obvious brown 'bib' which probably sanderling have but maybe I just saw them at an angle i wasnae familiar with!!

Cheers!

Keep an eye out for the White-rumped Sandpiper that was reported at Loch Leven today. Vane farm might be worth a try. The habitat looks good for waders right now. 3 Grey Plover kicking about todat too. First Loch record since 2002.

There seems to be an influx of Magpies just now in my area. Gone from literally zero to 6 or so hanging about everyday.

Weird...

Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles really enjoying the wind today in the clear blue sky, although my son found it hard to keep camera steady with it blowing a gale.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 72
You certainly got some great pictures there Dunedin.

It's nice to see these birds doing so well.

D

I dont get out much now, but i had a successful trip to Forfar Loch with my faither this morning which is worth a post!!

Started off at the turfbeg car park. A bad start because i've always found a few house sparrow ther but the place was silent!! Walking along the road i found a few blackbird, blue and great tit and woodpigeon. Approaching the first 'officiql' viewpoint overlooking the loch bumped into a couple of greenfinch in the bushes - I'm getting awfy worried aboot these guys, theres definitely not as many about as there used tae be. The winter sun (yep, it was sunny!!) was low so visibility was a pain in the bum but iconfirmed mallard, coot mute swan and cormorant. There was also 18 Canada goose (my favourite- but no everyones i know!!) which is quite notable for this venue as i usually just find singles or maybe 3 at the most. Also found a single Teal by virtyue of its size coz it was a tiny duck!! Lots of black headed gulls were chilling out on a wee spit and in front of the spit were two juvenile great crested grebe as well as 3 little grebe. Two or three Pied wagtail appeared shortly after and wandered up and down the spit.

Further along the path there was a couple of rook amongst the trees then as we got nearer to a large conifer it was obvious that a mass of finches were at the cones!! it took a while to sort them out in the tricky light but there was certainly plenty of Siskin and goldfinch , with a few chaffinch as well. There might have been other species as well but if so , I didnt see them!

The tree ooposite had a coal tit and two Goldcrest which were making the cutest wee plaintive call. Just a few steps on and had my first Redwing of the season, as usual they were very flightly but there was upwards of a dozen - hopefully that'll change to hundreds soon!! There was plenty of blackbirds loosely associated with them and they were certainly foreign blackies beacuse they were very shy. A few crows then flew over.

Heard a magpie calling from a leylandi, couldnt see it but then heard another calling back further down the path and it was in clear view at the very top of a tree. As we approached St Margarets Inch the call of a great spotted woodpecker was heard then it flew over our heads and travelled over the loch. Thats only my third sighting of a woodpecker at Forfar Loch - either they are rare, or I'm hopeless!! The middle of the loch was full of hundreds of Tufted Duck, checked them out carefully in case a Goldeneye or something different was mixed in,but i dont think so.

A big flock of Feral pigeon flew over as we continued our walk then bumped into 3 ridicously tame male Bullfinch, as we were admirinf them a female Reed Bunting popped out to make itself kent. A couple of Wren then turned up on a fence as well as half a dozen Jackdaw flying ove rthe loch.

A bit further on the gulls were making a noise and right enough there was two Buzzard getting bothered, until they flew off to the west. Near the top end of the loch a single Tree Sparrow was in a bush and two Yellohammer settled on a roof! Right at the west corner of the loch was a group of moorhen and plenty more Swan. Checked them all and found a single Whooper swan amongst them. One of the mute's the took a dislike to the poor guy and folloed him around the loch with his wings all fluffed up in the classic 'pissed off position'

in the rough ground between the path and the loch we found two female pheasant - unbelievably, this is the first time I've seen 5them here!! Round the south bank at the very last conifer 'plantation' we heard an awfy racket from a bunch of blackbirds. Stepped into the woodland and saw at least half a dozen of them at the top of a tree making alarm calls. This was bring in small birds as well, and even one of the magpies appeared to see what the fuss was!! We thought it had to be an owl!! Scanned the whole tree , and eventually i found a suspicously owl shaped dark patch near the very top which turned into an obvious owl when it slowly blinked!! Another new species for me for this venue!!

Back at the east end of the loch, the light was better and we added Gadwall, common and Herring Gull and a single Greylag Goose.

43 species altogether (which is good for me), but no sign of House Sparrow or dunnock which was odd!!

An interesting week-end starting with finding a Green-winged Teal at Kinnordy Loch, a Bar-headed Goose among a group of Canada Geese at Lintrathen Loch and quite a few groups of Whooper Swans scattered around as well.
Several hundred Coots and Wigeon were at Lintrathen as well as some Goldeneye, Tufties and a pair of Green Woodpeckers.
A walk with the dog later on produced a Hen Harrier on the south side of Kirriemuir, a scarce bird in Angus having been virtually eliminated from the glens.
Kinnordy Loch produced plenty Gadwall, Shoveller, Teal. Wigeon and a group of goosander. Water Rail are a lot more visible now and Bullfinch, Siskin, Treecreeper and a Redwing could be seen near the carpark.
Today we headed over to Fife, after a brief stop at Guardbridge where a Little Egret was fishing outside the hide we headed down to Crail.
Watched a cracking Pomarine Skua fly past us, close inshore as well as Curlew, Golden Plover, Redshank and a Turnstone on the rocky shoreline.
Drove along to Kilminning and found a Yellow-browed Warbler with a party of Goldcrests within 10 minutes of arriving, a lifer for me. Luckily it was spotted again soon after by some other birders.
We went down to Fife ness after that and I saw another Yellow-browed Warbler there too !
Even saw this one being ringed shortly after which was amazing to see this fragile litle bird so close. And then off home as was getting dark, a great week-end.

43 species altogether (which is good for me), but no sign of House Sparrow or dunnock which was odd!!

Sorry, I missed your post until today. You really had a good morning, didn't you, though it's a shame if the sparrows and dunnocks have disappeared.

Gus: what a great weekend you had - congratulations on your Lifer!

D

Was watching some turnstones and oystercatchers in Pettycur harbour today when I noticed an arctic tern resting on a rock. Have never seen a tern so late in the year. Normally the last ones to go are sandwich terns about mid october.

Had a single Arctic Tern last weekend at St Andrews which I thought was particularly late (as you say, Sandwich are usually the last to go). I had a single juvenile Swallow today at Westhaven, feeding around the houses. Again a rather late bird.

Had a really enjoyable day out today. Started out at Riverside Nature Park, adding 6 new ticks for my adopted patch (Great Black Backed Gull, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Fieldfare, Redwing, Grey Wagtail and Siskin). Full report in the Riverside section.
Stopped off at Tescos where a Pied Wagtail was added to the list for the day and a small group of Long Tailed Tits were feeding in the hedge between the car park and railway line.

Headed to Westhaven next, adding Pheasant, Kestrel and House Sparrow en route. Small numbers of various waders around along the shore - Sanderling (6), Turnstone (2), Purple Sandpiper (2), Bar Tailed Godwit (6), Redshanks, Oystercatchers, Curlews and a small group of Knot (6 or so). A few Greenfinch in with the House Sparrows along the gardens of the houses. A small mixed skein of Geese went over - a few Greylags and a few Pink Feet. A single Twite flew along the beach westwards calling as it went. A small flock of Goldfinch were around, and Carrion Crow, Rook and Jackdaw were down on the rocks with the waders and gulls (Black Headed, Common, herring and Great Black Backed). A few Eiders offshore, and a small flock of Wigeon. Spotted 3 Goldeneye flying just offshore westwards, and a pair of distant Shelducks were identified far out towards Tentsmuir Point by taking a photo and zooming in. 3 Skylarks appeared to fly in off the sea. A few Pied Wagtails and good numbers of Rock Pipits including a few paler than normal bellied individuals. A Collared Dove landed on a TV aerial of one of the houses as we ate lunch in the car, and surprisingly a single juvenile Swallow showed up and was feeding around the houses.

Next stop was planned to be Craigmill Den but as we got out the car I decided to check sightings on Birdguides and discovered a Firecrest had been reported at Auchmithie, so we changed our plan and headed off in that direction. There was no sign of the bird (or Scarlet Johansen) when we got there but Gus Guthrie was there and looking for it. We joined forces but initially drew a blank. A few Chaffinch, Great Tit and Blue Tit around, and lots of House Sparrows. Good numbers of Tree Sparrows were seen in the large garden at the top of the gully, and a male Blackcap showed briefly. Gus managed to find the Firecrest in one of two conifers at the top end of the garden and we managed a reasonable view of the wee bird (a lifer for me, and I even managed a few record shots). Linnet and Yellowhammer were also around the area.
All in all a really good day out in the late autumn sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back