• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

I had lunch down at Dundee city quay yesterday, the red throted diver was present and swimming /feeding very close,i managed to get a good look at it,s wing,there is a fair proportion of the wing missing,the bird will have to substitute the calm water in the quay for the lochans in the highlands,it is feeding well and will have company in the winter months

Attachments

• diver.JPG
    diver.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 57
Forfar Loch with Ian Graham (Arbroath Birder) & my bairn, Sam this afternoon

Very good session - over 40 species seen.

We are stumped on a species of duck however. It was on the wee spit off the first viewpoint (where the Ring Necked Duck was) It was roosting the whole time so we never got a great look, but it had russet wings and a grey front. It also had a white tag on its leg/foot.

On coming home and doing a bit of research, American Wigeon (or a hybrid thereof) sprung to mind - but that's probably silly?)

tentsmuir point 28/05/13

flock of approx. 200 waders at the point,most were resting with a small group actively feeding,most of the flock were ringed plovers with a handful of dunlin and a few sanderling,other birds about, 2 sandwich terns/1 raven/1 sedge warbler/swallows/skylarks/meadow pipits/pied wagtail/woodpigeon/curlew/coal tit ,there is a larege flock of mute swans at the tayport end

Attachments

• dunlin.JPG
    dunlin.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 32
  • ringed plovers.JPG
    ringed plovers.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 42
  • sanderling.JPG
    sanderling.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 45
  • skylark.JPG
    skylark.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 33
I recently posted details of my trip to Scotland and may have give details of locations of sensitive species. I now realise that this was stupid of me, in the excitement of the trip and what I had seen, I just wanted to share it with fellow bird lovers. I no the dangers these birds can get from human interference and I myself viewed them using a scope and also the depredation of the egg collector. I sincerely apologize if I have upset anyone..........Thanks D. Woodgate

I had a walk over the sidlaw hills Monday teatime hoping to see some stonechats,i haven,t come across stonechats this year,the sidlaws are usually a good bet, no stonechats seen but one bird heard,21 species of birds seen, 1 whinchat carrying food/2 jays/2 red grouse/1 pair of bullfinch plus a single female /meadow pipit/linnet/pied wagtail/buzzard/yellowhammer/chaffinch/1 raven/blue tit/bh gull/robin/mallard/song thrush/1 curlew/woodpigeon/willow warblers/house martins/1 herring gull/
4 roe deer
plus some wind turbines

Attachments

• bullfinch2.JPG
    bullfinch2.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 36
  • whinchat.JPG
    whinchat.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 46
  • turbine.JPG
    turbine.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 44
just watched countryfile on the bbc iplayer(10/06/13)nick baker was in tentsmuir forest and was also standing in front of the berry hide at Morton lochs playing water rail calls,there is also a segment on the sea eagle releases

I had a very unusual start of my day yesterday ,1 peregrine falcon seen while still lying in my bed :king:,the night before my day off I always keep my curtains open the reason being if the weathers looking good it always gives me that extra lift to get out and about,when I gazed over from my bed yesterday it looked quite grey,i lay in my bed cursing the incorrect weathermen, shortly after this there was a flurry of panicking feral pigeons flying in all directions in front of my window , a very dark peregrine then
casually flew past (certainly not hunting) heading towards camperdown park,i later checked coxs stack but no birds seen,i spent some time at riverside nature park intending on heading on checking the glens ,heading up the kingsway one of my ball joint started playing up,then it was local only,i checked the lundie cragg area, the local kestrels have not been seen for a while,a good number of swallows were flying around the farm,whitethroat numbers here are certainly increasing,chiffchaffs/bluetits/yellowhammers/wren were just behind the farm, on the craggs 2 adult ravens were flying with 2 very large juvs,meadow pipits and skylarks were seen and heard all along the top area,only 1 red grouse seen plus 2 linnets drinking out of a stream, at the far end of the crags is an area called loch long,i have always said this area is underecorded especialy in the winter months,
from the top of the hill I could make out 11 mutes including 1 adult with 8 cygnets, an osprey flew over here (first one I have seen here)and I watched it fly over and go down at piper dam,other birds seen house martins/ jackdaws/carrion crows/coal tits with juvs/heron/bombarding buzzards/ surprise bird was a calling tawny owl at 4.30 pm

Attachments

• long.JPG
    long.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 71
Indeed it does.... unfortunately a bit out of my reach now.

There were Sea Eagles hanging out there a couple of years ago.

I never new about the sea eagles, I have been walking the cragg area for 7/8 years now, I have only ever ventured as far as loch long in the winter

Attachments

• long3.JPG
    long3.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 49
  • boathouse.JPG
    boathouse.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 39
This thread, post 759 by zorrofox back in March 2010 and at least one more later post. I'm sure someone else went to see them too.

You posted immediately after him Kawwauser;)

cheers for posting that info delia, I just went through the posts and remember searching the web for loch long only to get a result from argyll, just shows you my luck,at least my lucks changing at riverside nature park after a winter of crows/woodpigeons/gulls

A lovely summer plumage Spotted Redshank at Montrose Basin just now, cracking bird !
Tends to be up the Lurgies near the slunks.
Also a Black Guillemot at Red head , down from Lunan Bay, my 1st one in Angus.
Other birds this week included a Shoveler with 6 young near Kinnordy Loch, Peregrine, Osprey and Marsh Harrier at Montrose Basin.

A Spoonbill was at Monifieth among the swans this morning until it was scared off by the inevitable dog-walkers.
Looking around some local Glens later on produced Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Whinchat, Raven, Stonechat and Peregrine.
Another rare migrant popped into Kinnordy Loch late morning....Mark Grubb from Lothian and his good lady, nice to catch up with you both again...|:d|

the stobbie pond (Dundee)mute swan is sitting on a late nest(the pond had no water for a while) 1 tawny owl adult flying about the trees behind sainsburys sat night midnight

murton reserve
the sand martin numbers look well down on previous years here,only the 2 wooden faced banks looked occupied,the black headed gull colony is doing well ,there were worries over high water levels here recently,2 lapwing chicks seen as well as 1 redshank/1 buzzard/reed buntings/yellowhammers/coots/tufted ducks/jackdaws/greylags/oystercatchers, mallards and mutes with joungsters were on the water

I eventually found some puffins at arbroath ,5 puffins were seen from the clifftop path,all were seen swimming at the same time (7.pm)a common sandpiper feeding in the seaweed was an unexpected sighting here,the kittiwakes nested late this year and some birds were seen resting on the remnants of last years nest having not bothered to build one this year,others were standing on empty nests,the one,s that have bred looked like they have well fed chicks

Attachments

• sandm.jpg
    sandm.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 38
  • lapwng.jpg
    lapwng.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 47
  • puffin.JPG
    puffin.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 51
  • kittiwake.JPG
    kittiwake.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 49
  • m1.JPG
    m1.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 35
Any idea where the Common Rosefinch at Tressait is being seen, any area it is favouring? I'm in Kinlochrannoch from Wed to Sat and thought I'd try to see it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back