• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tecnar 10x50 from Ebay.. (1 Viewer)

johnbaz

Hi all

A few weeks ago I bought these Swift 10x50 Tecnar from fleabay which were described being in excellent condition and working well but no case..

They really were clean when they arrived and the lenses were very clear and bright when I looked through from the objective end but when I tried to view through them I started going dizzy!, The collimation was out terribly..

I contacted the seller to say they were useless, I needed to send them back and get a refund ( He put 'No Returns' at the bottom of the listing), A week later he hadn't responded so I messaged him again, I gave him another week with no reply so I opened a case, Eventually I was refunded, He didn't give an address to post them back to but I held on to them for a while in case he did send it eventually..

Abother week went by and I picked them up to put them in the bin but suddenly thought i'd have a go and see if I could improve the collimation (They were going in the bin anyhow!), I found two of the adjusting screws and exposed the slots so that a driver could fit, I really struggled to find the other two so I got my 10x watchmakers loupe out, Still couldn't find them, I did however notice a gap at one side of the r/h Objective bell, Someone had unscrewed it and refitted it cross threaded!

I had a fair old job removing it as it was so badly cross threaded but it came eventually (It flared my arthritis up in my hands!), I managed to set it going in the correct threads and tightened it down, It was dark out and overcast so no moon to test them on, Had to look up the road at cars under street lights and WOW! They were absolutely spot on, Even in the low light they were picking up brilliantly!!

Next day I was watching Magpies and Pigeons in the big Oak tree at the bottom of the garden and Sparrows/Tit and even Blackbirds trying to hang on to the feeders!!- Absolutely bright and crisp!

And to think they were seconds from going in the bin!! 😯

IJPXxLr.jpg

2m8e78K.jpg

Made at the Busho Kogaku Seisakujo Inc Factory. (Bushu), Saitama. (I think!)
5MHm8cj.jpg

They're very lightweight too having plastic body, I could hold them all day and they're a pleasure to view through!!

By the way, I didn't realise that I already have the same tyupe of binocular already!!

John 🙂

Hi John,

These are not top quality binoculars.
Also I don't like that type of focus mechanism.
The prisms look cut off.

However, I am pleased you fixed this one.

I had a worse case Soviet 15x50 cross threaded.
I used an oil filter strap wrench to get the bell off, as there was nothing to lose.
The thread was badly damaged but I carefully got it back on and alignment was spot on.

Regards,
B.

Hi John,

These are not top quality binoculars.
Also I don't like that type of focus mechanism.
The prisms look cut off.

However, I am pleased you fixed this one.

I had a worse case Soviet 15x50 cross threaded.
I used an oil filter strap wrench to get the bell off, as there was nothing to lose.
The thread was badly damaged but I carefully got it back on and alignment was spot on.

Regards,
B.

Thanks Binastro, I wasn't under any illusions about the quality as the body and bells are plastic!!, Still, They're smashing to look through (With my untrained eye!!)!
The others that I have I think are dirty inside so quite dull to view through!!

Cheers, John 👍 🙂

I've had a couple of pairs of binoculars with cross threaded objectives that I've fixed. The trick is not to try and force them off and damage the thread. Firstly, sometimes it's possible to loosen them slightly before they start to tighten again, if not don't worry. Now find a large screwdriver with a rubber handle, or use a rubber mallet or failing that a hammer with something to protect the objective like a bit of wood. Hit the objective with the rubber end the screwdriver or mallet, on the edge where it too high. Start with soft blows. If you are lucky you will here a click, and the thread will now be aligned.

I have a much older Tecnar 10x50 that is actually a pretty decent instrument. It's been a knockaround, "truck bino" for many years. I leave it in my truck, thinking that if gets stolen, no big deal. I think I bought it at a yard sale for $5. Bk-7 prisms, but the views are pretty bright.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back