• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Television Ticks? (1 Viewer)

Steve Jones said:
My fav 'bird accidentally on tv' was during the 'hurricane of London' (a la michael fish in the 80's?) when the 'on the scene' reporter at Brighton had a storm petrel hanging in the wind just over his left shoulder!!!...funny, he seemed more interested in the storm damage.
Steve.

Now, i may have counted that one as a 'tv tick'...... ;)

Would have been a good spot, though.

tracker

A great one last night on Midsomer Murders. A chap with a shotgun out shooting in a lightly wooded area when his dog puts up a noisy pheasant. Bang! Bang! and the bird comes tumbling out of the sky and lands... as a Red-legged Partridge. :h?:

What annoyed me is a thing i once mentioned before long ago somewhere here on BF:

We have this commercial in the netherlands of a vacation park (Centerparks) where a guy in a boat is rowing around with a huge photocamera. His name appears p.e.: Tim Jones, paparazzi photographer...but not at the moment..., and then you see him watching a Bullfinch in a tree. At the same moment you see the beak of the Bullfinch go open and what do you hear? The perfect riddle of a chaffinch! That doesn't make sense!

And it was great to watch this kids show this afternoon, which is like an adventure series in dutch, and it was filmed in the Grand Canyon. At the moment the crooks appeared, i saw this little lizard run over the rocks, couldn't identify it but it was nice to see!

And there is this other hilarious story of this program about hunting. They were interviewing a guy who hunted for hares to keep the population in balance. They were standing in the field and this guy says in the camera: No hare escapes from my attention! In the meanwhile you see this hare running behind him from the right side of the screen to the left! HILARIOUS!

erik said:
And there is this other hilarious story of this program about hunting. They were interviewing a guy who hunted for hares to keep the population in balance. They were standing in the field and this guy says in the camera: No hare escapes from my attention! In the meanwhile you see this hare running behind him from the right side of the screen to the left! HILARIOUS!

So funny!!

That reminded me of a commercial thats on tv over here in England. Think its for some beer. Anyway this guy, kneels down beside a lake, in Australia i think, talking of the animals that come to drink there. All of a sudden, this pelican takes the guys head off with a swipe of its beak. Then all you hear is the guy doing the voice-over say, in an Australian accent: "im no expert, but thats gotta sting!"

I thought it was hilarious............. :'D

Slightly away from the TV tick theme, unless you want to count the pelican..... ;)

tracker

tracker said:
So funny!!

That reminded me of a commercial thats on tv over here in England. Think its for some beer. Anyway this guy, kneels down beside a lake, in Australia i think, talking of the animals that come to drink there. All of a sudden, this pelican takes the guys head off with a swipe of its beak. Then all you hear is the guy doing the voice-over say, in an Australian accent: "im no expert, but thats gotta sting!"

I thought it was hilarious............. :'D

Slightly away from the TV tick theme, unless you want to count the pelican..... ;)

tracker

Yep! - that was my first Pelican as well ;)

An interesting concept,Tracker,if anyone had said that birds seen on the TV counted as towards ones which one had seen,I would have said that they did not count,but I can now see the purpose behind this.One ID's the birds one sees /hears on the TV,is that correct.Due to this Forum my TV watching is somewhat limited!!!,but I shall now view with a different interest.

Charlie M said:
The documentary with the "TV twitcher" was shown on BBC2 in 1992, and was called "Bird Nuts"! I only remember because I was one of the other "nuts" featured on the programme, and I occasionally drag a video copy out to remind myself what I looked like when I only had one chin...
There's a cringingly embarrassing close-up of me on that. If it's really the one Tim worked on, I'm gong to knock his head off when I meet him. ;)

Faith said:
Television ticks? I've heard it all now! :-O
Birds seen on tv shouldn't count. Ok, for fun maybe, but not seriously...

They don't...LOL. Nevertheless, my flatmates and I used to play this game at uni...and I always tell everyone the social life at Bangor is good???

Michael Frankis said:
What's "social life"?

Michael
(also ex-Bangor)

Mountains on one side, sea on the other and a bit in between too. I got into some of the pub life in Bangor to add to the SU stuff. The birding was the biggest distraction though (hence the 2ii...LOL) and I am glad I never took up any of the other SU clubs when I was there.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back