• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (1 Viewer)

Tib78

Hi all,

A Tern seen this year in Tanzania. The photos aren't great, the difference of contrast is due to the constantly changing lighting conditions. Pictures taken in late June.

I must admit I have been thinking repressa because of the grey rump but some Common may show a greyish rump, and bill structure is perhaps more Common-like.

Are there any plumage characteristics allowing a positive ID that I am not aware of (I still have to get my copy of Olsen & Larsson's "Terns"...shame on me...)?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• _MG_0041_1bter.jpg
    _MG_0041_1bter.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_0043_1ter.jpg
    _MG_0043_1ter.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_0045_1ter.jpg
    _MG_0045_1ter.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_0046_1ter.jpg
    _MG_0046_1ter.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_0050_1ter.jpg
    _MG_0050_1ter.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 70
A few more pics.

Attachments

• _MG_0051_1bis.jpg
    _MG_0051_1bis.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_0052_1ter.jpg
    _MG_0052_1ter.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_0054_1ter.jpg
    _MG_0054_1ter.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 42
From the heavy darkness of the "carpal bar" I'm thinking Common, as opposed to White-Cheeked IMHO. Though am not familiar with Tanzanian Terns!

Last edited:
My opinion is that it's a Common Tern, too. For example the primaries pattern looks quite typical, but I don't know what a WCT of this age is supposed to look like. I have only seen White-cheeked Terns in adult and (very young) juvenile plumages.

Since WCT does occur along the East African Coast (I have already seen an adult in Dar es Salaam), I am seeking infos about its identification.

Is the very dark carpal a consistent and reliable feature to separate CT from WCT at this age?

Has anyone access to the ID article "Field identification of White-cheeked Tern" by Shirihai and Olsen: http://www.eurobirding.com/birdingmagazines/artinfo.php?id=2567 ?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back