• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern, New Jersey (1 Viewer)

mordovarot

Least or Forster's Tern?
Sandy Hook, NJ, 2 days ago.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3861-1.jpg
    IMG_3861-1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3862-2.jpg
    IMG_3862-2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 51
I agree with least tern - tho the photo is clearly rife with colour artefacts, so I'd hesitate to trust the apparent bill colour - and narrow objects in a fuzzy photo like this (no offence), eg the bill, will look narrower than in reality.

Hm, three experienced birders are saying Least Tern. While there are indeed colour artefacts and the bird lacks the long outer tail streamers, I still see a red bill, no white forehead (but I think this wouldn't be possible from this angle), proportions more in line with one of the Sterna species (fuller body in relation to head size) and especially the primary pattern which is not in line with Least, imo. The latter has an accentuated black line along leading edge (black to outermost 2 primaries) but little or no black on the tips of outer primaries while in these pics you clearly see a black trailing edge to most primaries. While a contrasting and slim edge would favour Arctic Tern over Common and Forsters this might be caused by the mentioned artefacts. I'm not sure about the exact species but I'd strongly favour a Sterna over a Sternula here.

Thanks to all for opinions! Here I post the same photos but less whitening, hope it can reduce aberration.

Attachments

• IMG_3861-1-2.jpg
    IMG_3861-1-2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3862-2-2.jpg
    IMG_3862-2-2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back