• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper ID Sandy Hook, NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

Saw this bird 7.24 of this year on the north end of Sandy Hook, NJ. Can someone help ID? There were many sanderlings around but the legs look lighter to me and body shape seems longer. Thanks

Attachments

• 2023.7.24 sandy hook 2.jpg
    2023.7.24 sandy hook 2.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2023.7.24 sandy hook 1.jpg
    2023.7.24 sandy hook 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Saw this bird 7.24 of this year on the north end of Sandy Hook, NJ. Can someone help ID? There were many sanderlings around but the legs look lighter to me and body shape seems longer. Thanks
It is still a Sanderling. I’m not sure what accounts for its larger and longer legged appearance, I’d have to just attribute it to individual variation. It is also flagged with a light lime green flag which I think indicates that it was banded on the Delaware bay shore in New Jersey, although there are either white or black letters on it which cannot be seen well. They seem like maybe black letters. The color of those letters does also uncover information about its banding origin but it’s been many years since I’ve been involved with shorebird band resighting and I can’t recall exactly what the color codes indicate. You might be able to uncover more information about it at bandedbirds.org if you make an account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back