• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns in Bangkok yesterday (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

Attached picture is of two terns and I have ID them as:
The tern in the back, Whiskered Tern
The tern in the front, Common Tern

The common tern, I would not be surprised to find out that it is a Whiskered Tern coming longer in the moulting to breeding plumage. But the belly is white and I would think the bird would come longer in the the black belly and grey throat if the head is almost black.

Any assistance will be very appreciated.

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 22
I think these are structurally better for whiskered. The bill of the nearer one is fairly short, deep (would expect common to be finer, longer), and the wings of both are fairly short. Finally the legs are quite long which I think fits whiskered tern better.

I think these are structurally better for whiskered. The bill of the nearer one is fairly short, deep (would expect common to be finer, longer), and the wings of both are fairly short. Finally the legs are quite long which I think fits whiskered tern better.
Thank you very much THE_FERN!

I was confused with the black head as I would have thought that this time of the year coming in to breeding plumage the rest of the body would have progressed as well.

But then, of course, sunlight and reflections so the colour of the belly is not easy to determine. And we really don't get to see the throat.

Highly appreciated!

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back