• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TERNS of Europe and North America (1 Viewer)

Upland Birder

Birding On The Edge
Hi to all ornithology book collectors, birders, sea watchers and ringersof the world,

This is an excellent identification book covering 22 species found in the Western Paleartic and North America. I came across it a few days ago and bought it new half its recommended RRP.

This guide by Klaus Malling Olsen and Hans Larson was published in 1995 and is great if you have an interest in Tern ID. It lists each species under the sections of:-

-field identification
-moult
-description
-geographical variation
-measurements
-weight.

It includes a quick reference section summarizing the key identification features. There is a 48 page photographic section with 200 colour photographs and included across the book are 40 colour plates.

This is one for your library if you can locate it!!! I have been aware of it for ages and at long last finally got round to getting a copy.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

A very, very nice book - the paintings are the best I have seen of terns, and the use of photographs is also good.

I bought a copy for a friend as a Christmas present; it was through Amazon and described as "used/second hand". It arrived still shrink-wrapped in pristine condition from an "Amazon Associate" bookstore and was cheaper than I paid for mine when it was first published.

A very nice compliment to their equally excellent "Gulls" field-guide.

Colin

michaelboustead said:
I will look for the book in the US. Does anyone else find terns to be very difficult?

Mike

This book is for sale on e-bay for 9.99 dollars. It's location is America.

Type...Terns of Europe in to the search box. It's a great book.

Andrew said:
Where? Pray do tell!

Go to abebooks and type....terns of europe in the search box....loadsa bargains for a tenner and a great little book.

Some of the greatest books out there in bird book world are the small and compact one's...just a personal obs ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back