• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thames Estuary wind farms (1 Viewer)

Wickham

Skype username wickham43 (I have video)
Plans for two major offshore wind farms in the Thames Estuary are expected to be agreed by the government on Monday.

One of the schemes would be the world's biggest with 341 turbines in 144 sq miles (232 sq km) between Margate in Kent and Clacton, Essex.

The other project would be seven miles (11km) off North Foreland, Kent, across an area of 21 square miles (35 sq km).

I objected to the Isle of Lewis wind farm because of the destruction to the landscape and fragile peat due to hundreds of miles of road suitable for 40 tonne articulated vehicles but I can't use that reason here, so I suppose I am in favour.

Birds in the area will probably fly into the turbines but will be common species so I suppose we just have to accept that.

Wickham said:
Plans for two major offshore wind farms in the Thames Estuary are expected to be agreed by the government on Monday.

One of the schemes would be the world's biggest with 341 turbines in 144 sq miles (232 sq km) between Margate in Kent and Clacton, Essex.

The other project would be seven miles (11km) off North Foreland, Kent, across an area of 21 square miles (35 sq km).

I objected to the Isle of Lewis wind farm because of the destruction to the landscape and fragile peat due to hundreds of miles of road suitable for 40 tonne articulated vehicles but I can't use that reason here, so I suppose I am in favour.

Birds in the area will probably fly into the turbines but will be common species so I suppose we just have to accept that.
Unfortunately, due to this governments indecent haste to jump into bed with Mr Wind and co there are going to be quite a number of us up and down certain parts of our country that will have to accept that.

The toll on 'common' migrants could well be huge. The phenomenon would be similar to migrants attracted and killed at lighthouses, except on a massive scale - these turbines are illumintaed, and will therefore attract large numbers of migrants coming to/from the Continent, which will then either strike towers or be hit by the blades. But the number of casualties will never be known, as it's at sea. Anything from waders to rails to 'crests will have to dodge it though - I can easily envisage whole flocks of eg bramblings and redwings being killed at a time, night after night in autumn. The toll at single lighthouses in one night can be huge - so just imagine it with 341 nicely-lit towers beckoning in the dark

Another reactor at Sizewell would be more reliable and efficient....

Poecile said:
Another reactor at Sizewell would be more reliable and efficient....

I agree.

There is also a large number of 'Bird mincers' being errected between Warbouys and Chatteris in Cambridgeshire on the very fields that are a regular stop off for Dotterel in spring, these fields also hold large flocks of Lapwing and Golden Plover in winter.....

So lets recap, with these and others planned around the country is there any species of bird that might not be affected. If so let them(wind farm companies) know the migration routes or breeding grounds of said species and i'm sure one of these companys will build a farm there.......Written in jest, with the truth not far behind

Ironically, it's the 'green' lobby (FoE, Greenpeace etc) who we can thank for this industrialisation of our last wild places, as they've lobbied for the subsidies that enable these inefficient power stations to be built (£2bn construction costs for this Thames scheme, to power only 1 million homes when at full capacity (however often that will be), and large overheads for maintenance costs cos it's offshore and enormous, plus large environmental costs with damage to birds and also the seabed/local fisheries), and they've also stood like luddites in the way of any other viable alternative to fossil fuels such as nuclear or GM biofuels on purely ideological and unscientific grounds.

I don't know who elected Zac Goldsmith or Tony Juniper et al to speak on behalf of those Britons who care about the environment and all issues 'green', but they seem to be the ones directing debate and policy now. Except, they don't blinkin' well speak for me. And all those migrants that will now never make it to Britain for the witner wont thank them one damn bit.

Funny how we decry the Italians and maltese for taking out migrants wholesale, yet we're probably doing it here on an industrial scale.

Poecile said:
...and they've also stood like luddites in the way of any other viable alternative to fossil fuels such as nuclear or GM biofuels on purely ideological and unscientific grounds.
Unscientific grounds?? GM biofuels are environmentally (and people) friendly are they? Hardly.

Poecile said:
I don't know who elected Zac Goldsmith or Tony Juniper et al to speak on behalf of those Britons who care about the environment and all issues 'green', but they seem to be the ones directing debate and policy now. Except, they don't blinkin' well speak for me.
Well, I suspect you're in the minority on that last point. Can't please everyone huh.

turkish van said:
Unscientific grounds?? GM biofuels are environmentally (and people) friendly are they? Hardly.

Well, you say that, and so does Greeenpeace and FoE. But do you actually have any evidence that any GM crop causes harm to people? There isn't any. GM biofuels are extremely environmentally friendly if you consider that they can be grown at density and quickly (therefore taking up less land than conventional crops, perhaps leaving land free for nature conservation), and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and therefore overall carbon emissions.

Please, by all means, offer the scientific argument (backed by credible objective studies) that GM biofuels are harmful to people or the environment. There isn't any - the argument is all about luddite claims of 'Frankenstein foods' and unfounded notions that GM is somehow any different from any other selective breeding technique that has been going on for 10,000 years.

turkish van said:
Well, I suspect you're in the minority on that last point. Can't please everyone huh.

So who did elect Zac and Tone as spokespeople for the environment then? I don't remember the vote, sorry.

Poecile said:
Well, you say that, and so does Greeenpeace and FoE. But do you actually have any evidence that any GM crop causes harm to people? There isn't any. GM biofuels are extremely environmentally friendly if you consider that they can be grown at density and quickly (therefore taking up less land than conventional crops, perhaps leaving land free for nature conservation), and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and therefore overall carbon emissions.

Please, by all means, offer the scientific argument (backed by credible objective studies) that GM biofuels are harmful to people or the environment. There isn't any - the argument is all about luddite claims of 'Frankenstein foods' and unfounded notions that GM is somehow any different from any other selective breeding technique that has been going on for 10,000 years.

Ok, the scientific papers will have to wait till later, although I'm pretty sure there are some which refer to GM and adverse effects on the environment. Or at least the inability to prevent them spreading and breeding with wild plants, which, if I remember rightly, was the main reason Mexico banned them at the end of the 90s.

What I was really referring to was the fact the biofuels (GM or not) are extremely unenvironmentally friendly, and are no where near even being carbon neutral. They also (GM or not) require huge areas of either new land - ie land which was previously covered in virgin forest or some equally important ecosystem - or agricultural land, leading to competition between food for poorer countries (where they will inevitably be grown, at least at first, on a larger scale than they are already), or fuel for us rich folk.

Zac Goldsmith and the rest are David Cameron's new best friends. Lucky him - I wish they were mine...

turkish van said:
Ok, the scientific papers will have to wait till later, although I'm pretty sure there are some which refer to GM and adverse effects on the environment. ...

The only major study was the British one, which found that GM crops were less friendly to wildlife than conventional. But that does not equate to harm, that's just relative friendliness. There is no evidence at all that GM is in any way harmful to people, or anything else, in a medical sense. But when land is in short supply, then perhaps it is better to farm intensively on less land than it is to farm conventionally on more land. That way, you can set aside land for other things, like conservation, rather than having all virgin forest etc converted to more inefficient conventional farming.

turkish van said:
Or at least the inability to prevent them spreading and breeding with wild plants, which, if I remember rightly, was the main reason Mexico banned them at the end of the 90s....

You're conflating one example (maize, i think, in mexico) with all GM here. Growing GM potatoes, say, in the UK, carries no problem for genes getting into wild plants - there aren't any wild relatives to affect. The same with many biofuels, which are non-native. The 'superweed' thing is a bit overblown - so what if a GM gene gets into a wild brassica if it doesn't cause any problem? We don't worry about wild plants hybridising all the time - eg cowslip/primrose/false oxlip.

turkish van said:
What I was really referring to was the fact the biofuels (GM or not) are extremely unenvironmentally friendly, ....

Really, how exactly? And I thought your beef was because GM, specifically, was harmful? You can't shift the goalposts now!

turkish van said:
and are no where near even being carbon neutral. ....

And you think 341 30m turbines are?! How much concrete and fuel do you think is needed to produce them, and how long do you think it will take to cancel that out at normal functional operating capacity (not optimal capacity, which will hardly ever happen)? We're talking relative evils here.

turkish van said:
They also (GM or not) require huge areas of either new land - ie land which was previously covered in virgin forest or some equally important ecosystem - or agricultural land, leading to competition between food for poorer countries (where they will inevitably be grown, at least at first, on a larger scale than they are already), or fuel for us rich folk.....

So GM is therefore ideal, as it limits the necessary amount of land you need, as you can grow it at higher desnity. Great for poor countries, if only ideologically self-indulgent greens in the West would let them have it! They could then establish national parks in the virgin forest areas, rather than having to fell them to put 300 turbines in there or to grow maize (of which 30% is lost to pests/disease which GM could prevent). Again, it's relative evils - do you want some agri land set aside for GM elephant grass for biofuel, or do you want 300 turbines on Lewis and elsewhere or a new reactor at sizewell on something the size of a few footie pitches?

turkish van said:
Zac Goldsmith and the rest are David Cameron's new best friends. Lucky him - I wish they were mine...

Zac Goldsmith left Eton early with no quialifications. He has no education in enviornmental issues (eg no degree or anything), and is editor of a very little-read magazine called The Ecologist that has literally nothing to do with the actual science of ecology - it's an opinion-driven 'green issues' anti-capitalist bandwagon type thing. Why on Earth he's now some sort of authority has much more to do with his looks, charm and family money than it does his knowledge in this area.

Last edited:
turkish van said:
Ok, the scientific papers will have to wait till later, although I'm pretty sure there are some which refer to GM and adverse effects on the environment. Or at least the inability to prevent them spreading and breeding with wild plants, which, if I remember rightly, was the main reason Mexico banned them at the end of the 90s.

What I was really referring to was the fact the biofuels (GM or not) are extremely unenvironmentally friendly, and are no where near even being carbon neutral. They also (GM or not) require huge areas of either new land - ie land which was previously covered in virgin forest or some equally important ecosystem - or agricultural land, leading to competition between food for poorer countries (where they will inevitably be grown, at least at first, on a larger scale than they are already), or fuel for us rich folk.

Did I not read somewhere last week that wind turbines have been proven to be inefficient code for waste of money,ours incidentally.As for Zac Goldsmith and his ideas,I do think he would be better off getting a proper job.

POP

Perhaps we should just push for things to continue as they are and hope the new Nuclear fusion power stations are not to long in the developement.

Flemingo said:
Perhaps we should just push for things to continue as they are and hope the new Nuclear fusion power stations are not to long in the developement.

But that's a lot of land/habitat/area you're sacrificing in the meantime - once these wind power stations are up, they aint coming down for a very long time, and you'll never get the moors etc back.

Poecile said:
But that's a lot of land/habitat/area you're sacrificing in the meantime - once these wind power stations are up, they aint coming down for a very long time, and you'll never get the moors etc back.
As yet they are not up ,so hopefully the "tree huggers" may not get their way.And what a mess if the if the boat full of shells etc were to blow up, in the reaches of the estuary.

POP

The Thames Array Wind Farm will occupy 145 sq miles of Thames Estuary.
The EIA for the project caused the discovery of a wintering Red Throated Diver population in the site area, of up to 10,000 birds.The RSPB says that the developers have responded to this risk by reducing the First Phase turbine numbers from 258 to 175. If no adverse circumstances arise, the final total of turbines will be built-341 in all.
The risk to the RT Divers is thought to be disruption & displacement rather than impact with the turbine blades. :-

http://www.rpsplc.co.uk/pte/newsene...nID=AC7666A1-BBBA-4994-8537-CEFC92F3DB0A&fl=1

The London Array will have adverse affects on-shore where new sub-stations & other infrastructure will be built on the North Kent coast to receive the cables. These will be laid on the bed of The Swale through a KWT wildlife Reserve. KWT objected to the scheme :-

http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=219&Itemid=326

The London Array will have 1000MW gross capacity. At 30% load factor this will supply the EQUIVALENT of 560,000 houses-intermittently ( BWEA)

THe developer claims a "saving" of 1.9 million tpa of CO2 when compared to a "typical" fossil powered station....this is .0003-or 0.03% of global CO2.

EoN-a party to the Thames Array consortium is planning to replace it's existing coal fired power station at Kingsworth-also in Kent. It will be replaced with a "clean coal" technology. The new plant will have a gross capacity of 1600MW-which at a load factor of around 50% will supply 1,500,000 houses ( not intermittently). It will save 2 million tpa of CO2 .
It won't cover 145 sq miles & it won't threaten Red Throated Divers, or the North Kent Marshes .

Colin

Last edited:
Poecile said:
You're conflating one example (maize, i think, in mexico) with all GM here. Growing GM potatoes, say, in the UK, carries no problem for genes getting into wild plants - there aren't any wild relatives to affect. The same with many biofuels, which are non-native. The 'superweed' thing is a bit overblown - so what if a GM gene gets into a wild brassica if it doesn't cause any problem? We don't worry about wild plants hybridising all the time - eg cowslip/primrose/false oxlip.
Really, how exactly? And I thought your beef was because GM, specifically, was harmful? You can't shift the goalposts now!

Er, no, you have misunderstood - my issue here was never with GM and it's 'relative friendliness', it was with crop production for biofuels.

You seem to be thinking only on a UK level - if we want biofuels, we grow the crops here. Doesn't work like that. Any biofuels we use will come from the cheapest source (by law), which at the moment is palm oil - the production of which is causing the vast majority of rainforest deforestation in South East Asia. Rainforests are cleared by burning, which (aside from the obvious and almost irreplaceable loss of life and diversity) releases vast amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere. Crops are grown with fertilisers (and pesticides) produced from fossil fuels, and the biofuel is produced in plants run on fossil fuels. The result is that biofuels cause more pollution and use more energy than they save.

Poecile said:
So GM is therefore ideal, as it limits the necessary amount of land you need, as you can grow it at higher desnity. Great for poor countries, if only ideologically self-indulgent greens in the West would let them have it! They could then establish national parks in the virgin forest areas, rather than having to fell them to put 300 turbines in there or to grow maize (of which 30% is lost to pests/disease which GM could prevent). Again, it's relative evils - do you want some agri land set aside for GM elephant grass for biofuel, or do you want 300 turbines on Lewis and elsewhere or a new reactor at sizewell on something the size of a few footie pitches?
Ah yes, our thoughtful Western GM producing multinationals. It's a shame the crops they are developing are sterile - yep, the poor farmers save a few bucks on pesticides for a few years, only problem is they have to buy the seed every year. Self-indulgence indeed.

None of the above please - not too keen on biofuels, absolutely against the Lewis windfarm application, and nuclear - well, apart from anything else, it's footprint is rather larger than 'a few footie pitches'.

Poecile said:
Zac Goldsmith left Eton early with no quialifications. He has no education in enviornmental issues (eg no degree or anything), and is editor of a very little-read magazine called The Ecologist that has literally nothing to do with the actual science of ecology - it's an opinion-driven 'green issues' anti-capitalist bandwagon type thing. Why on Earth he's now some sort of authority has much more to do with his looks, charm and family money than it does his knowledge in this area.
Not too keen on the Ecologist huh. Well, I'm sure this will shock you, I rather like it - yep, it has a tendency of being a bit biased (and I wish they'd put in their references), but it really is a good magazine covering a huge range of issues and the in-depth articles get better every month. There was actually quite a lot of, dare I say it, 'science' in the last one.

Wickham said:

Why do you have to accept that, what you are condoning is the mass killing of countless sea birds, waders, wildfowl etc, for a grossly oversized and inefficient feel good project pushed by a goverment led by that well known comedy duo, the Blair/Brown twosome.

nirofo.

turkish van said:
Ah yes, our thoughtful Western GM producing multinationals. It's a shame the crops they are developing are sterile - yep, the poor farmers save a few bucks on pesticides for a few years, only problem is they have to buy the seed every year. Self-indulgence indeed.

But I thought you were worried about genetic drift? How can genetic material be share if the plants are sterile? So which is it? Sterile and bad or contaimating and bad? Some are sterile, yes, but that's partly to counter genetic drift.

How do you think conventional crops are produced? Do you think they're created by some feelgood collective and shared out equally amongst the jolly Africans? No that's a business too. Exactly the same business as GM, as it happens - production, controlled suppply and profit-making.

Just what is your specific beef about GM? Why, specifically, do you think it is any worse than conventional farming?

Finally, palm oil is not only or the only biofuel - it's in about 10% of the stuff in Tesco for a start. There's several options (eg switchgrass, willow). I'm not sure which palm oil law you're talking about, have you a reference perhaps? Palm oil from Indonesia is no more a stable fuel source than gas from Russia or oil from Saudi, so the UK market is hardly going to be reliant on it.

And we are talking about UK options here, as the UK has some quota for renewable energy by the year x. Which is why we're getting all these turbines - for the domestic market and the domestic renewables quota. My argument is that if we dropped the idea of all these turbines and switched to fuel crops instead, or, best of all, a few more reactors, then that'd be better all round.

This IS an 'either/or' argument - you cannot be against "all of the above" as we have to make choices if we want to cut the UK's CO2 emissions (which is the reason these turbines are being built). So, what's your solution?

Poecile said:
But I thought you were worried about genetic drift? How can genetic material be share if the plants are sterile? So which is it? Sterile and bad or contaimating and bad? Some are sterile, yes, but that's partly to counter genetic drift.

How do you think conventional crops are produced? Do you think they're created by some feelgood collective and shared out equally amongst the jolly Africans? No that's a business too. Exactly the same business as GM, as it happens - production, controlled suppply and profit-making.

Just what is your specific beef about GM? Why, specifically, do you think it is any worse than conventional farming?

Finally, palm oil is not only or the only biofuel - it's in about 10% of the stuff in Tesco for a start. There's several options (eg switchgrass, willow). I'm not sure which palm oil law you're talking about, have you a reference perhaps? Palm oil from Indonesia is no more a stable fuel source than gas from Russia or oil from Saudi, so the UK market is hardly going to be reliant on it.

And we are talking about UK options here, as the UK has some quota for renewable energy by the year x. Which is why we're getting all these turbines - for the domestic market and the domestic renewables quota. My argument is that if we dropped the idea of all these turbines and switched to fuel crops instead, or, best of all, a few more reactors, then that'd be better all round.

This IS an 'either/or' argument - you cannot be against "all of the above" as we have to make choices if we want to cut the UK's CO2 emissions (which is the reason these turbines are being built). So, what's your solution?

With regard to GM, it probably ISNT 'either/or', but rather depends on the particular case. As you imply, the process is simply a scientific application of the principles of selective breeding. However, some products are less desirable than others; eg grain crops with increased pesticide restistance allow more pesticide use, and hence better crop yield but at the expense of higher pesticde residues in the crop, and in the fields/ground water. On the other hand, rice that produces vitamin A would solve a major dietary insufficiency in a large chunk of the worlds population.

Regarding power generation, I agree that we need to think in terms of reducing CO2 emissions, and in that context, nuclear, biofuel etc all need to be considered. One thing that doesnt get discussed much however is reducing our power consumption. To my mind that is surely the first step.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back