• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the bird feeder was busy today (2 Viewers)

BrandonH

I had a lot of visitors this morning at the feeder

A beautiful blue jay that i don't see very often and a lot of little brown birds that that i don't know the names of.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for pointing out the goldfinch. i seen them in the woods before but they are always really brightly colored. Is this a female ? I agree blue jays are very stunning i wish i seen them more here in town.

They're very welcome here in the UK but as the link above demonstrates, not native species anywhere can cause huge upset to the native biodiversity. Here we have Ring necked Parakeets which are certainly a nuisance, as well as of course the Grey Squirrel. Both are examples similar to the House Sparrow in the US. I would never have thought they could be so aggressive!

ok that is wild! i would i would never thought such a tiny bird could do such things. I have not seen anything like that here a my feeders yet. i got pics oh house sparrows fighting with each other but no deaths happened that i am aware. Now i am wondering what i should do there is hundreds o house sparrows living here

ok that is wild! i would i would never thought such a tiny bird could do such things. [...]
I think poorly about old fanatic ladies when they write things like:
MYTH: If you open the bluebird box, or touch the nest or babies, the parents will abandon the nest.
REALITY: Don't worry that monitoring will make the parents desert the nest. Bluebirds are very tolerant of human presence. Touching the nest or birds will not make the birds leave--your mother just told you that to keep you from harassing them.
Monitoring nests and breeding success doesn´t need disturbing acts like the above mentioned! You don´t even have to open the nestbox or approaching in nearer distance. This woman has only her ownl goals (hand feeding training, photographing, etc.) in mind.
Her own words:
[...] Last year I photographed in a Gilbertson box from egg to empty nest every day up through a late fledging[...]
Source: http://www.sialis.org/picture0814threesome.htm
Nestbox Monitoring: Why and How [...] Will the birds attack me when I monitor?
Answer: The parents (especially Tree Swallows) may swoop at you to protect their nest. That is a good thing - you want them to be defensive.
Source: http://www.sialis.org/monitoring.htm
That isn´t a good thing, that´s illegal acting (disturbing breeding birds!)
Also from that website:
Why monitor?

In the past, these birds nested in holes created by nature or other creatures like woodpeckers. However, once people introduced aggressive House Sparrows and starlings that evict or kill birds using cavities, allowed cats to roam, and exchanged open space for development, it became much more difficult for these native birds to survive and breed. They now rely heavily on nestboxes provided by humans.
[...]
Bad things can happen in boxes that are not monitored. For example, wood can rot or separate, allowing chilling rain to wet nestlings. House Sparrows may attack and destroy eggs, nestlings and incubating adults. By monitoring regularly, you can prevent them from breeding in your boxes. House Wrens may fill up boxes with dummy nests, making them unavailable.
Source: http://www.sialis.org/monitoring.htm

Well, blaming only invasive species for the loss of many birds seems weird to me. I couldn´t find only one line on her website where she states what to do with cats roaming around or that she´s appreciating dead trees provoding nesting holes. Right contrary she´s proding people to take nest photos!

A real birder who care for birds never would act like that woman!

Last edited:
You may change your mind after seeing this (may contain graphic images, depends on what you consider graphic).

Not directed towards you jzmtl but the poster of the link you provided.

I am sick and tired of people going after the House Sparrow

The Sparrows did not get here all by themselves. They were brought to the US and all they are doing is trying to survive. It's called nature. They don't make a daily list of the damage they can cause and set out to accomplish this. Yes, they can cause problems with our native birds but again, it's not their fault they are here. Okay, rant over. ;)

so question about this because this is what gets me. It's illegal acting to disturb nesting birds but yet she goes out and does so and even puts proof up with pics and name credits but no legal action has been taken? why not?

Technically all the bluebird box operators are doing illegal things if you put it that way, yet they are responsible for the recovery of the bluebird population. Feel free to google other sites on house sparrow, that isn't the only one.

The poster you quoted has repeated affirmed his love for house sparrows and don't care about the damage they do, but he's European so I guess can't blame him.

Although I stopped to take him seriously after he suggested all French should be exterminated, because the French are invasive specie to the native Americans. No matter how much he wish to follow the teaching of that countryman of his, all human are the same specie so the concept of invasive specie doesn't apply.

Not directed towards you jzmtl but the poster of the link you provided.

I am sick and tired of people going after the House Sparrow

The Sparrows did not get here all by themselves. They were brought to the US and all they are doing is trying to survive. It's called nature. They don't make a daily list of the damage they can cause and set out to accomplish this. Yes, they can cause problems with our native birds but again, it's not their fault they are here. Okay, rant over. ;)

No invasive specie choose to be here or does anything you said, yet we will drain an entire lake to get one individual, and poison the water to stop others. Why does house sparrow get a free pass, because they are fluffy, or because they aren't impacting our wallet?

Originally Posted by jzmtl
Technically all the bluebird box operators are doing illegal things if you put it that way, yet they are responsible for the recovery of the bluebird population. Feel free to google other sites on house sparrow, that isn't the only one.

That is not what i said at all. box operators checking boxes for recovery plan of the bluebird population are doing it for their job. Is this lady doing it for her job or is she doing it her back yard because she thinks it's fun or a hobby?I think there is a major difference doing it for a job and being licensed to do so and just doing it or fun and not being licensed.

Originally Posted by jzmtl
No invasive specie choose to be here or does anything you said, yet we will drain an entire lake to get one individual, and poison the water to stop others. Why does house sparrow get a free pass, because they are fluffy, or because they aren't impacting our wallet?

There is a point here some invasive species do get killed on the spot like snakehead fish , berm pythons. However like i said earlier there is hundreds of house sparrows living here and i have yet to see a house sparrow kill another bird at my feeders. I feel that this is a rare occurrence based on what i am seeing.

That is not what i said at all. box operators checking boxes for recovery plan of the bluebird population are doing it for their job. Is this lady doing it for her job or is she doing it her back yard because she thinks it's fun or a hobby?I think there is a major difference doing it for a job and being licensed to do so and just doing it or fun and not being licensed.

There is a point here some invasive species do get killed on the spot like snakehead fish , berm pythons. However like i said earlier there is hundreds of house sparrows living here and i have yet to see a house sparrow kill another bird at my feeders. I feel that this is a rare occurrence based on what i am seeing.

Most bluebird box operators are volunteers doing it for fun and aren't licensed (is there even a license for it?). If you look through the site you'll see she isn't doing it in her backyard. Her views and methods (i.e. wing clipping) is at times a bit extreme, but that doesn't invalidate the photographic evidence.

House sparrows don't kill at feeder, they only kill the nestling and eggs, sometimes parents. There are tons of photos and witness reports on the net if you are willing to look for them. I only started this two years ago and didn't even know they are invasive specie till then, but I've seen enough to decide that I would not support the growth of their population.

Technically all the bluebird box operators are doing illegal things if you put it that way, yet they are responsible for the recovery of the bluebird population.
Bluebird box operators? By themself appointed. And I doubt that they are responsible in a legal/official way. They rather regarding themself a "little" too important.
Feel free to google other sites on house sparrow, that isn't the only one.
From another website protecting bluebirds against the cruel House Sparrow:
IMPORTANT: All multi-bird traps must be checked daily to ensure that the trapped sparrows have adequate food, water, and shelter, and in case a native sparrow or other songbird becomes trapped.Native birds should be released immediately.
Source: http://yhst-60107113779235.stores.yahoo.net/spblho.html
But no hint on the website that trapping native birds is illegal without a license! Also note the "SHOULD" instead a more properly "MUST"!!!
The poster you quoted has repeated affirmed his love for house sparrows and don't care about the damage they do[...]
Blame better those people who are destroing nature and cutting out every dead tree from the forests. Stealing bluebirds many nesting cavities.
Although I stopped to take him seriously after he suggested all French should be exterminated, because the French are invasive specie to the native Americans.
Not again this story, it didn´t already work the last time so why should it now? It was a comparison and you know that very well.
No matter how much he wish to follow the teaching of that countryman of his, all human are the same specie so the concept of invasive specie doesn't apply.
What are you talking about? Meaning Adolf Hitler? That´s offtopic here. BTW, he didn´t hold austrian citizenship when he gained power in Germany nor later. You should educate yourself first before telling BS.
Feel free to tell us about Drancy and about the extradition of the jews, mainly stateless from other european countries like Austria, Czech, etc. in the beginning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drancy_internment_camp
Better not here, we prefer talking about birds 8-P

yes back to birds! because i find this all interesting

Quote:Originally Posted by stonechat1
IMPORTANT: All multi-bird traps must be checked daily to ensure that the trapped sparrows have adequate food, water, and shelter, and in case a native sparrow or other songbird becomes trapped.Native birds should be released immediately.
Source: http://yhst-60107113779235.stores.yahoo.net/spblho.html
But no hint on the website that trapping native birds is illegal without a license! Also note the "SHOULD" instead a more properly "MUST"!!!

so by that logic i can go out and trap owls eagles and hawks or any other bird right? I volunteer 9 months of the year to reptile and amphibian recovery and you can NOT take any species of reptile or amphibian out of the wild without a PA fishing license. i doubt birds can be taken without some kind of permit as well or what would the point of protecting them if you are not going to do anything about it and let people trap them and "should release". I do no that here in PA you can not shot any bird that does not have a hunting season and you must have a hunting license. So trapping them without a license and not having to release them makes absolutely no sense to me

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back