• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Birdingpal web site (5 Viewers)

Eventually one of the users complained and someone from the site e-mailed me through normal e-mail. I was able to get some information in my profile changed. I suspect my e-mails to the admin via their messenging system weren't getting through.

I would love to receive that 'normal' e-mailadres. Maybe they can change my profile can be changed also.

It does seem though that I am getting far less requests to take people out here (Geneva and nearby France) than a few years ago. It might just be that there are less business related trips to Geneva than previously as the majority of the people I take out are here on business and not regular tourist birders. It might also be because now there is a charge!

Cheers,

Mike

Same for me. I usually had several requests and went birding with maybe 3 to 4 people a year. Now I don't get any requests at all. I guess the site won't be there much longer....

André

Having said that numbers were down I have already been contacted by 4 different people this year but it seems that the initial contact through the Birdingpal web site sometimes creates problems. I suspect that spam filters might be part of the problem though.

Mike

Currently set to take out three Birding Pal groups in the next three weeks. On contact, I immediately suggested that we communicate by regular email. That seems to be working.

Steve

i've been contacted by a pal 3 weeks ago and nothing seems to be wrong. But still my guest does not like the payment system, and have less guest than what i had a couple years back

I encountered same problem. My guest was telling me that I didn't reply his message via birdingpal website so he decided to email to me directly. but the trip didn't work out though.

Currently set to take out three Birding Pal groups in the next three weeks. On contact, I immediately suggested that we communicate by regular email. That seems to be working.

Steve

I also always use normal e-mail once an initial contact has been made via the rather clunky procedure through web site. There is definitely an increase in demands this year for some reason or other...

Mike

Same for me. I usually had several requests and went birding with maybe 3 to 4 people a year. Now I don't get any requests at all. I guess the site won't be there much longer....

André

I only became aware of the problem when we decided to go to France for the Easter break and tried to contact some locals for advice, only to find out that now you have to be "registered" or something if you wish to use the system. Eventually I used their contact form online to ask for information about the new system and they replied (soonish, maybe a day later, but they are in a distant time zone) that since I was listed as a Birdingpal I didn't have to pay to be able to contact other birders (but was encouraged to donate anyway ;)). I was able to get in touch with a French birder who first sent us info by email (using their system for prolonged correspondence is a pain the neck) and then proposed to meet us. We ended up meeting a couple of times and sharing a meal and we have kept in touch since.

I find that Birdingpal is a fantastic idea and, over the years, we have really enjoyed taking people to our local patches and always kept in touch afterwards. And, unlike some on this thread, haven't met many listers who just wanted a free guide (but then Italy is not a destination for listers ;)).

This said I, like others, have noticed a sharp decrease in requests for information in the past year or so, actually I think I have received none since the system has changed to a paying one. And this is really a shame, because I find that nothing is better than local advice for finding birds. I would be willing to pay a subscription if I was sure that the system was updated regularly, but as others have said it is showing signs of poor maintenance. |:(|

Couldn't Birdforum offer such a service instead? I know that there is the "Information Wanted" forum, but not everyone checks it on a daily basis. There is also the map, but many members on it haven't been active for years. Maybe something more immediate, like a list of names (with links for sending a PM) divided by country and area would be easier to use. And of course only willing, and active, members would be listed. Just an idea. |^|

it would be nice to just have a fixed list on top of every country page with the forum names of birding pals. In this way, you could contact through personal message. Wouldn't that be a realistic, low-key and practical approach?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back