• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The birds & wildlife of Gateshead (2 Viewers)

great find

A cracking day in Gateshead. Burdon Moor held 1 male Ring Ouzel, 1 male Redstart and a fly-over Osprey. Shibdon had the first Common Sandpiper of the year. Meadow Pipits were streaming overhead north at Burdon Moor and there has been the first decent fall of Wheatear.

Cheers

RobB :)

I stay not too far from Burdon Moor...You have found lots of great bird up there..ill need to start visiting it more often....

A cracking day in Gateshead. Burdon Moor held 1 male Ring Ouzel, 1 male Redstart and a fly-over Osprey. Shibdon had the first Common Sandpiper of the year. Meadow Pipits were streaming overhead north at Burdon Moor and there has been the first decent fall of Wheatear.

Cheers

RobB :)

How lucky are you. Just asked the wife if I can retire so I can get out more. I think what she meant was NO!!!!

Nice sightings and shots Rob :t:

Common Sandpiper at Shibdon today. And a lot of water.:-C

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• commonsand20.4.12.jpg
    commonsand20.4.12.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 24
The wandering White Stork circled over Lamesley at noon. A big increase in House Martin numbers since yesterday.

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• seo23.4.12.jpg
    seo23.4.12.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 32
  • storklamesley23.4.12.jpg
    storklamesley23.4.12.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 38
The wandering White Stork circled over Lamesley at noon. A big increase in House Martin numbers since yesterday.

Cheers

Rob

Nice one Rob - i had approx 40 mins at Lamesley yesterday afternoon from roughly 4pm.. Plenty Swallows over pool to RHS of hide, plus two Common Sandpiper which kept getting chased by a Lapwing. Couple of Redshank, single Curlew, pair of Goldfinches, Blackbird, Coot, Moorhens, Jackdaws and a few Teal and Mallard made up the rest....

Didn't see the resident Kestrel at all though |:(|

Derek

Other than the Stork you did better than us as it was really quiet when we were there. The Stork looked like it was going to land, but got chased off by gulls and was seen later over Wylam.

Cheers

Rob

I managed to get my Gateshead bogey bird of the year out of the way today at Shibdon. I got a mocking tip-off by text at lunch time and luckily the pair of Shoveler stuck around till after work. The two Ruff are now well on their way to summer plumage and are showing well in front of the hide at high tide.

Cheers

Rob:t:

Attachments

• ruff2shibdon25.4.12.jpg
    ruff2shibdon25.4.12.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 27
  • shoveler3shibdon25.4.12.jpg
    shoveler3shibdon25.4.12.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 20
  • shovelershibdon25.4.12.jpg
    shovelershibdon25.4.12.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the help dampflippers, June & Steve. Looking forward to it, as long as it doesn't snow ...

Well in the end, the Red Kites over Cut Thorn were great, but I didn't get the chance to do any birding otherwise, she had other priorities in mind (definitely mouse, me). :-C

Well in the end, the Red Kites over Cut Thorn were great, but I didn't get the chance to do any birding otherwise, she had other priorities in mind (definitely mouse, me). :-C

I'm really pleased, Dave, that the Red Kites put on a good show for you!! Did you take any photographs - we're always pleased to receive them, especially if they are of our own :) PM me if you did.

One year, at lambing time, there were about a dozen kites all sitting patiently around the lambing field at the farm. Why? Because, for them, the afterbirths are a particular speciality!!

Please keep in touch both here and via our website - I'm constantly putting up new coverage, the last set yesterday being of the Scooter Safari which was done last Friday.

June
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Last edited:
Bit of a washout today. Highlights were Gadwall pair, Shoveler pair and 1 female Goosander at Shibdon and a flyby Kittiwake at Timber Beach.

Cheers

Rob:t:

Attachments

• gadwall2shibdon26.4.12.jpg
    gadwall2shibdon26.4.12.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
  • gadwallshibdon26.4.12.jpg
    gadwallshibdon26.4.12.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 18
  • goosander3shibdon26.4.12.jpg
    goosander3shibdon26.4.12.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
  • goosandershibdon26.4.12.jpg
    goosandershibdon26.4.12.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 14
today for Rob

Not the best of photos of the Tern just to prove it was there

Also Gossander with four chicks struggling in the flood water

Attachments

• Goosander chicks.jpg
    Goosander chicks.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Tern.jpg
    Tern.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 52
Not the best of photos of the Tern just to prove it was there

Also Gossander with four chicks struggling in the flood water

Hi George

Hopefully in a few days the terns will be in front of the hide at Shibdon. We had a canny Gateshead year tick today with 3 Yellow Wagtail at Lamesley. Sadly even with a 2x converter this was the best shot I could get as they were miles away. It must be our turn for some of these Black-tailed Godwits and Whimbrels?

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• yellowwag30.4.12.jpg
    yellowwag30.4.12.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 35
Wheatear

two of nine Wheatear i seen today at Burdon Moor

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back