• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The elusive Trogon (1 Viewer)

Madjackdog

Madjackdog
United States
I was down in Green Valley looking at houses, and I decided to take the short hop over to Madera Canyon in search of the elusive Trogon. It was probably my fourth trip there, all futile efforts to add the Trogon to my life list. Well apparently the forth time is the charm! Walked up the Carrie Nation Trail, maybe a quarter mile, if that, and then took a very short, maybe 70’ offshoot down to the right to some sycamore’s, and bingo! It was incredibly easy, and he’s probably still there, as I spied a male and a female, both tending to a nest in the sycamore.

I heard their distinctive bark for 3-4 years before I ever actually saw one. As bright and large as they are, one would think they would be easier to find.

We purchased a house just south of Green Valley at the end of last summer. Haven't had the chance to hike in Madera, but after reading your post, I am going to try to make it in the next day or two.

Did you find a house? GV is a nice and sedate place, with housing prices that span a huge range. If you don't find something, you might also consider investigating the Tubac area. Tubac is less crowded than GV (not that GV is actually "crowded") and even more quiet. Not nearly as many amenities as GV, however GV and Nogales are just a short drive up or down I-19. If you do decide to look around Tubac, check out the area known as Barrio de Tubac, where there are townhomes, smaller garden homes, and large homes on "estate" lots. And right next to downtown Tubac too.

We purchased a house just south of Green Valley at the end of last summer. Haven't had the chance to hike in Madera, but after reading your post, I am going to try to make it in the next day or two.

Did you find a house? GV is a nice and sedate place, with housing prices that span a huge range. If you don't find something, you might also consider investigating the Tubac area. Tubac is less crowded than GV (not that GV is actually "crowded") and even more quiet. Not nearly as many amenities as GV, however GV and Nogales are just a short drive up or down I-19. If you do decide to look around Tubac, check out the area known as Barrio de Tubac, where there are townhomes, smaller garden homes, and large homes on "estate" lots. And right next to downtown Tubac too.
Hi PhilR - did you ever get over to Madera? Pretty special place; even saw a coatimundi there. Pretty cool.
We put a deposit down on a house in Quail Creek. It’s supposed to be finished in November, but I’d be surprised if we’re in by the end of the year. Maybe we’ll get together for a Madera day trip once we get settled In. Friends of ours are also moving down, and they’re avid birdwatchers, also. Are you guys year-rounders there, or snow-birds?

Hi PhilR - did you ever get over to Madera? Pretty special place; even saw a coatimundi there. Pretty cool.
We put a deposit down on a house in Quail Creek. It’s supposed to be finished in November, but I’d be surprised if we’re in by the end of the year. Maybe we’ll get together for a Madera day trip once we get settled In. Friends of ours are also moving down, and they’re avid birdwatchers, also. Are you guys year-rounders there, or snow-birds?
Sorry for the late reply. I was back in TX. I still haven't gotten the chance to get over to Madera, but hopefully will do so soon.

We were on the wait list for build slots in Quail Creek last year, but happened to find a house for sale in Tubac. Really liked the amenities in QC, which we don't have here in Tubac. But the lots here make up for it.

We were living in both Tubac and up in N.E. AZ too, but now that my wife is fully retired, we are now full-timers in Tubac. Since we are used to the summer heat in TX, we don't mind the summers here in S.E. AZ.

Will send you a PM too....

Tupac is a nice artsy town. Agree about the amenities, it does put you close to Sant Gertrudis Lane which can have a surprising number of vagrant birds. And the bridge is a good place for Hawk watch in the spring.

What delightful pictures, Lisa! What is the bridge that you’re talking about?

Thank you! They have sort of moved away from the bridge now. They seem to start at Ron Morris County Park in Tupac. Here is an article from this year:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back