• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the Gap Resthouse (1 Viewer)

andygarnett

Hello everyone

I'm planning a trip to malaysia in December and would like to know the situation regarding the Gap Resthouse. I understand it has been having renovation work done. Is the work finished and if so contact details would be very greatfully recieved, telephone numbers or email.

Many Thanks

Dear Andy,
So sorry to let you know that the so called 'renovations' to the Famous Gap Rest House is dead. I mean dead as in 'dead'!
It is now more than 3 years and many years since the good old days.
The little town of Gap is dead too! No life.
We were there just days ago and felt very sad at the state of affairs.

Another very interesting thing is the funny 'suspension bridge' which have costs us Millions of Ringgit to build have also stopped! The half 'baked'/built
bridge is corroding/rusting away and is dangerous to use.

After knowning Fraser's Hill for more that 35years, the 'little England' is just hype. IMHO the folks running the show there are clueless what the real Fraser's Hill is all about.

But the lovely birds are still there. Just love them sweet birds and that is why we still go there despite of all the hype. No, we do not stay overnite.
It is expensive and the food is restricted.

Another thing. Just imagine firecrakers and fireworks are being allowed during the last festive season! They have forgotten that this IS a forrest reserve.

Regards.

A fellow birder

Hello everyone

I'm planning a trip to malaysia in December and would like to know the situation regarding the Gap Resthouse. I understand it has been having renovation work done. Is the work finished and if so contact details would be very greatfully recieved, telephone numbers or email.

Many Thanks

I was at Fraser's Hill earlier this month; the new bridge was almost complete and should be open any day now if not already. I was talking with the main contractor while watching the construction work and got the facts from him. So the waiting to go up or down the road to Fraser's should be a thing of the past. I had an enjoyable few days there, stayed at the Puncak Inn, basic rooms a little boxy but perfectly ok for one person. A good location for anybody that likes to walk and birdwatch.

There is a food court up the hill from the mosque, Chinese, Malay and Western food available plus fast food. Some restaurants only open at weekends.

I liked the town, lots of people into birding. Met a few Japanese birders from Tokyo, a Chinese birder from Beijing and the obligatory Dutch birder :)

Regards

Adrian

Last edited:
Greetings Dipper,

Glad that you write about Fraser's.

The resthouse we were refering to is at Gap. It is the little town we stop while waiting for the one-way gate to go up (or down).
It was an excellent rest stop where many birders use to stay a nite to watch birds at slightly lower elevations. The thrill is to walk up to Fraser's for birding. The bridge I am refering to is the suspension walk bridge at Gap.

Once we are up at Fraser's, the works being done is by another group of contractors appointed by a different state government. Which bridge are you refering to that once ready, we can go up and down without waiting?

FYI, the other road which was supposed to do that has collapsed years ago.
Several landslide destroyed this newly built road and rebuilding it difficult.
We have no official news of it being looked into let alone opening it up in a few days time. I went to the site last week, it was located at Jalan Quarry and the road block/barrier (located next to a Tamil school), showed no sign of activity and is also covered with weeds!

Read the newspaper report http://portal.kkr.gov.my/en/node/3916

We love Fraser's Hill. Please do not think that we are running it down. The lovely birds are still there but there are already too much hype and exaggerations that many new tourists leaves with dissapointment.

Hard core birders and nature seekers would still be coming back years after years. A word of caution though. The ongoing development if left unchecked would destroy this lovely hill. A new space is being build as I type this.
It is supposed to be a garden park with plants and flowers. But instead of planting with flora of this area, foreign species/hybrids are being grown.
Is this permitted being a Nature Reserve?

I have posted today on the Gap Rest house. It is on my blogsite at:- http://birdstalkingtoo.blogspot.com

Thanks for reading and please keep in contact if you need any further information. We are leaving for Fraser's shortly.

Regards and cheers
Donald

I was at Fraser's Hill earlier this month; the new bridge was almost complete and should be open any day now if not already. I was talking with the main contractor while watching the construction work and got the facts from him. So the waiting to go up or down the road to Fraser's should be a thing of the past. I had an enjoyable few days there, stayed at the Puncak Inn, basic rooms a little boxy but perfectly ok for one person. A good location for anybody that likes to walk and birdwatch.

There is a food court up the hill from the mosque, Chinese, Malay and Western food available plus fast food. Some restaurants only open at weekends.

I liked the town, lots of people into birding. Met a few Japanese birders from Tokyo, a Chinese birder from Beijing and the obligatory Dutch birder :)

Regards

Adrian

Thanks for your interesting reply.

The new bridge is on the road referred to as the New Road to Fraser's Hill which continues past the Tamil School. A good road to walk, lots of gibbons and I was told of a tiger and cub seen along it last year :t:

The bridge has cost RM20million and is the longest, single span, unsupported bridge in Asia!! The top dressing was being put on when I was there.

Attachments

• 597w.jpg
    597w.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Many Thanks Dipper,

You are a great help.

You see?:-C
Even we Malaysians are not being informed and yet, Dipper from UK managed to get the latest news. We did not see any one there at the barricade at the top end but at the down gate of the new (problematic road) Nada! All still blocked off. How we wish that they have fully solved the problem permanently and not get affected again by another earthslide which is going to be a great risk next week onwards due to the yearly NE Nonsoon.

(Was it a large honey bear and her cubs?) This new road is also a well know spot for raptors and hornbills.

Thanks again Dipper. Shall we meet here for some birding? Ha!Ha!:-O

Our trip last week saw us staring a playful flock, about 16 Silver Eared Mesia
in full glory on our HD bins. Beautiful.

Regards again and Cheers
Donald Birdstalkingtoo

Thanks for your interesting reply.

The new bridge is on the road referred to as the New Road to Fraser's Hill which continues past the Tamil School. A good road to walk, lots of gibbons and I was told of a tiger and cub seen along it last year :t:

The bridge has cost RM20million and is the longest, single span, unsupported bridge in Asia!! The top dressing was being put on when I was there.

The hill side has required a huge amount of stabilising work to make it safe. The bedrock is limestone and the big problem has been ground water and taking it away from the area so it doesn't cause anymore landslides. There was still a little work to finish off and it was very interesting to watch and hear about it all from the main contractor.

Attachments

• 596w.jpg
    596w.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 118
Hi, Dipper. It's me, the Chinese Birder from Beijing. We waited for the Owl together with 3 Japanese birds one night in front of Shanzan hotel.

Have you got the luck for the owl later?

Hi, Dipper. It's me, the Chinese Birder from Beijing. We waited for the Owl together with 3 Japanese birds one night in front of Shanzan hotel.

Have you got the luck for the owl later?

Hello Blancheliu :t:

No luck with the owl, we tried again the next night but it didn't show. I walked down the New Bridge road you told me about, very enjoyable, saw lots of gibbons :-O

I hope to be back next year, perhaps in March, although it is not the best weather, very humid and very hot.

How is Beijing now, getting cold?

Beijing is getting cold, however, it's warmer than usual.
It's a good season for birding though. Good things are coming. last Saturday we had two Baer's Pochards.

Next year I think I will go again, bring some friends maybe. Time's not decided, maybe August or October.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back