• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Great British winter Mon 4/3/2013 Pt's 1/5 18.30-19.00pm BBC2 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
The Great British winter Mon 4/3/2013 Pt's 1/5 18.30-19.30pm BBC2

hi there

This programme is on every night this week (reminds me of a mini winterwatch)

Ellie Harrison is presenting it, and it cover all types of wildlife and landscape in Britain

Mon 4/3/2013 Pt's 1/5 18.30-19.30pm BBC2 - Mountains
Tues 5/3/2013 Pt's 2/5 18.30-19.30pm BBC2 - Rivers and Lakes
Wed 6/3/2013 Pt's 3/5 18.30-19.30pm BBC2 - Forests
Thurs 7/3/2013 Pt's 4/5 18.30-19.30pm BBC2 - Estuaries
Frid 8/3/2013 Pt's 5/5 18.30-19.30pm BBC2 - Islands

Looking forward to it (while eating my dinner LOL)

I do like Ellie Harrison, and it is good that she has her own programme now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r8529

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I enjoyed this show a lot last night

Amongst the presenters we had Ellie along with Gordon Buchanan, Alan Titchmarsh, and Julia Bradbury.

The areas covered where the Cairngorms and Snowdonia
Alan Titchmarsh covers some of the former resident of the UK ie Bears.

Other features involved avalanches, and how they are created.

The bird life included Snow Buntings, Ptarmigan, Golden Eagles. Other wildlife such as Mountain Hares, and Deer where included in the show.

A nice all round progamme with clips that may be from other shows but still worth a look at

Regards
Kathy
x

Another interesting hour show

The contents hit on some of the Countryfile footage with Adams Farm but it was a mixed bag of subjects

Liked the duck article by Chris Packham, and the Whooper Swan 'short' by Bill Oddie

Not to forget the Otter coverage

I think i have worked out that the second 30 mins of the programme is aimed at wildlife.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I enjoyed Monday's :t: I just zoomed through the Countryfile bits I'd already seen like the huskies and reindeer.

Haven't watched Tuesday's yet as I was shattered after a day outside gardening :-O And for some bizarre reason I've agreed to go out this afternoon too :eek!: Tonight I may be Zombie Woman :-O

Forests Parts 3/5

Another superb programme tonight

The highlight for me was seeing the Crossbills (M+F) and their offsping in the Caledonian Forest. To see a Crossbill feeding close up was interesting too

Loved to see Crossbills at the RSPB Lodge, Sandy, and in Northen Spain

The Treecreepers, and their nesting habits in the Sequoia Trees. The trunk is so soft the Treecreeper uses it to nest and to hide.

Other wildlife included the Red Squirrels, Beavers, and Dormice. The life and times of pine trees in the Scottish Highlands

Wildlife presenters Iola William appeared, and Alan Titchmarsh once more in this programme

Nice one BBC :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Estuaries Part 4/5

Fabulous, and one of the best bird related programmes this week

Love to know what the White Headed Goose was?

Much of the bird related interest was out at Morecambe Bay/Leighton Moss, and Snettisham Reserves.

Lots to watch and enjoy. including an article about the founder of Leighton moss - John Wilson - looking after Bearded Tits on the platform feeders. Been there and enjoyed our trip a lot. Fabulous :-O:-O:-O

Other articles included George MacGavin talking about the decline of butterflies.

Chris Packham about Advocet at Exmouth. OH and I went for a trip on the same boat a year ago and we saw lots of interesting birdlife (still have to add my report yet to the birdforum LOL)

Worth a watch tonight

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
For some reason BBC Scotland showed something else on Tuesday, so we're a day behind you now. We should get 4/5 tomorrow but I'm not sure when they'll show the last episode.

A bit puzzling really. The replacement programmes were old repeat comedies if I recall.

For some reason BBC Scotland showed something else on Tuesday, so we're a day behind you now. We should get 4/5 tomorrow but I'm not sure when they'll show the last episode.

A bit puzzling really. The replacement programmes were old repeat comedies if I recall.

hi Delia

Just noticed that - it is strange for BBC2 to do that keeping England and Scotland viewing on separate nights

Just confuses the situation. To have the same programme put on a day behind than in England does not make sense at all?

I see that the BBC i-player points out that Part 4/5 is on for Scotland tomorrow evening at the same time

I assume that the final part of the programme in Scotland will run next Monday evening.

Regards
Kathy
x

Thanks Kathy.

No not Monday. Just done a search of Sky and it would appear to be 5.30pm on Saturday. I just knew they'd schedule it for some awkward time. I'll maybe have to record it.

Thanks Kathy.

No not Monday. Just done a search of Sky and it would appear to be 5.30pm on Saturday. I just knew they'd schedule it for some awkward time. I'll maybe have to record it.

hi Delia

It is such a worthy watch, and tonight was the best for birds - so record it D, and see all the episodes for you.

I see that JTweedie had the same problem with this programme

To be honest, I can see this being a programme being a feature over the seasons (like the Springwatch, and so on)

I think a chat to BBC2 broadcast company would be a good thing to keep their programmes in sync for all of the UK to watch as at one time.

Why talk about Scotland and England in the same programme, and divide the programme it does not make any sense at all :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Why talk about Scotland and England in the same programme, and divide the programme it does not make any sense at all :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

As this programme is entitled 'The Great British Winter' can anyone tell me whereabouts in Britain Innuits venture under the snow in search of mussels? ;):eek!:

As this programme is entitled 'The Great British Winter' can anyone tell me whereabouts in Britain Innuits venture under the snow in search of mussels? ;):eek!:

Adey that was a tiny snippit of the programme visiting other climates ;) ;);) o:D

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Part 5/5

Tonights programme was away off the subject of birds, but had lots of other interest instead.

The Shetland Isles was the main topic, and some of the yearly culteral thinga that so on each, and every year.

Otters, Badgers and other interest was there so it was what you make of it :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back