• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Burton (2 Viewers)

Mysticete

United States
I know generally most of the discussion here is on non-fiction (and usually field guides), but I just read finished reading this book, which I think folks who are also fans of genre fiction might be interested in. The book itself is set in Seattle in the immediate aftermath of a global zombie apocalypse that wipes out humanity. However, the catch is that the main character isn't a person, but rather a human-raised pet crow, who has to navigate the new world, his only companion his owner's not very bright bloodhound. There is a lot of humor and some strangely uplifting moments, and a pretty heavy bird focus (one of my favorite's being the main characters interactions with the world's angriest Junco). The critter related stuff seems mostly pretty accurate, obviously allowing for the whole fantasy element of different species communicating with each other and so on.

Haven't read the direct sequel yet, but hopefully will next month.

In the zombie genre, World War Z might become a college lecture in the near future. It is a social commentary how society malfunctions in the early 21. century. It is both fantastic (zombies) and scarily observant and realistic (the description how politics, big business and other institutions are self-serving and malfunctioning). The book is good, the movie, I heard, is a simple action story. No birds, though.

I have not seen World War Z, but folks who have read the books generally hate it, it being a name only sequel that jettisons everything interesting about the book

I know generally most of the discussion here is on non-fiction (and usually field guides), but I just read finished reading this book, which I think folks who are also fans of genre fiction might be interested in. The book itself is set in Seattle in the immediate aftermath of a global zombie apocalypse that wipes out humanity. However, the catch is that the main character isn't a person, but rather a human-raised pet crow, who has to navigate the new world, his only companion his owner's not very bright bloodhound. There is a lot of humor and some strangely uplifting moments, and a pretty heavy bird focus (one of my favorite's being the main characters interactions with the world's angriest Junco). The critter related stuff seems mostly pretty accurate, obviously allowing for the whole fantasy element of different species communicating with each other and so on.

Haven't read the direct sequel yet, but hopefully will next month.

Hello Neighbor
Great topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back