• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The insect apocalypse: ‘Our world will grind to a halt without them’ (2 Viewers)

Thanks for that link, Chosun, nice article! I love insects!

This year there are even less insects than last few years, possibly not helped by the cold spring weather. It seems to have picked up a bit now; a bit more butterflies appear (though still fewer than recent years, let alone decades ago), bit more (hover)flies and bees'n'wasps, bushcrickets and grasshoppers seem to have sprung up like wanting to catch up. Still; now I hardly see a butterfly on Buddlejas, while in my youth they were full of them. 20 years ago, I witnessed a patch of flowering herbs in my garden buzzing with insects the first year, half that the next year and almost silent the year after... Early 90s was a crucial time for insects and still hasn't picked up again. Luckily there's a lot of ecological awareness growing in people and local governments, and more focus on ecological farming and seeding in roadsides and such with blooming herbs to help the little critters. Hope it's not too late...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back