• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Half the trees in two new English woodlands planted by jays, study finds (1 Viewer)

I found this article and it intrigued me, basically because we need to re-generate the trees lost in fires, wood production, and many other things that we use wood for in the U.S. I love the idea that new forestation can be created by wildlife itself. As people, we are all set in our ways of thinking, and it makes me wonder why we haven't looked past clearcutting. Living on the West Coast of America where trees and greenery abound, clearcutting has always disturbed me because of it's devastation to our forests.

The growth of wild animals populations are also a blessing. People don't realize that every wild and tamed animals and cells are here for a reason. Everything on earth has a chain of it's growth and purpose, from beginning to end. As many of our species that die off, it breaks the chain of it's purpose. It's purpose must be replaced in order to keep balance on earth. That replacement often fails to happen, and our earth's purposes begin to lose it's purpose of self-sustained support of the planet. I'm happy to know that tiny portions of birds and other animals can help to sustain the chains of growth that we need on our planet.

This article gives me hope that our country can immediately start to naturally build our devastated lands.

Forestry in Poland mostly stopped clear-cutting. They leave several trees standing on a clear cut for regeneration, or remove groups of old trees in several steps, leaving a forest full of gaps. It is said to be more environmentally friendly. And perhaps mostly better visually, and massages the official statistics, that the forest is left standing.

I must say, however, that forests in Poland are being horrifically destroyed nevertheless by the politically backed giant of state forestry organization.

Jurek, I enjoyed reading your comment, and seeds of ideas. Thank you for letting us know what your country does with reforestation. I think I still like the idea of wild animals or birds doing the reforestation. I'm sure that Mother Nature would also appreciate the little wild birds, etc., doing such positive things to help our forest lands! Take care, and stay safe!

Jurek, I enjoyed reading your comment, and seeds of ideas. Thank you for letting us know what your country does with reforestation. I think I still like the idea of wild animals or birds doing the reforestation. I'm sure that Mother Nature would also appreciate the little wild birds, etc., doing such positive things to help our forest lands! Take care, and stay safe!
L.R., Indigenous people here would eat half of a certain food source (fruits etc) and would throw the rest on the ground for the birds/ animals - who would then eat the other half, and poo the seeds out on the ground - thus making a new food source plant.

Pretty ingenious huh .... πŸ™‚

Chosun πŸ™…β€β™€οΈ

L.R., Indigenous people here would eat half of a certain food source (fruits etc) and would throw the rest on the ground for the birds/ animals - who would then eat the other half, and poo the seeds out on the ground - thus making a new food source plant.

Pretty ingenious huh .... πŸ™‚

Chosun πŸ™…β€β™€οΈ
I like how people would do as you say! It's a great idea! Unfortunately in our country, I'm pretty sure we could be fined for throwing things on the ground, as it's called littering and that can mean money fines if you are caught doing that. Now, if the things could be thrown in the wild for populations of animals, birds, etc., I would think it would be okay to litter certain seeded fruits and other seeded food sources if permission was granted prior to do so. It definitely is a great idea, so thanks for sharing it! Hoping your country has low covid infections, and certainly hope you will be safe during the pandemic!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back