• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Sand Martins are back (1 Viewer)

Andrea Collins

England
Ok, they're not actually "my" Sand Martins, but for many years there was a colony of Sand Martins nesting in a sandy cliff beside the estuary at the edge of my village. There was even a handy seat immediately below the colony where people would stop to chat whilst the birds flew to and from their nest holes just a few feet above.

Then, two winters ago, a very high tide with a storm surge and strong winds resulted in the cliff collapsing. This left a new and completely smooth cliff face several meters back from the old cliff line. The birds returned the following spring but soon left and the new cliff face remained untouched.

But this year it looks like they are back to stay. Two weeks ago a dozen birds were flying around and perching on the new cliff face. They soon started digging and now there are a lot more birds and about twenty new holes.

The seat may not be there any more but it is once again possible to stand on the beach as Sand Martins fly past just a few metres away and to watch their interactions at the entrance to their nest holes. I really hope the colony becomes successful again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back