• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Malay Archipelago, 2009 (10 Viewers)

thanks guys, it was a pleasure to write so it had better have been a pleasure to read! I didn't think of Dengue Fever because I understood it to be an extremely painful illness (not known as breakbone fever for nothing I hear). But I'm likewise no expert. I just take the diseases as they come and hope I don't die :)

skink1978 said:
Luckily he made it back to Bangkok where a local girl took pity on him, feeding him etc. throughout his fever.
wish I'd had a local girl take pity on me :(

Larry Wheatland said:
Shame you got ill for Taman Negara, but hopefully there's always next time
ah, I have Taman Negara noted down once more for next year, around July or August. Those tapirs won't elude me so easily this time!

Great report Chlidonias - way more hardcore than anything I've ever done.

I got dengue fever in Thailand in 1989 and can attest to aching bones, but missed out on the rash. It did leave me seriously weakened for a couple of weeks with an occasional day of relapse for another couple of months. Fortunately Phuket hospital was close at hand - I can't imagine being that sick without access to medical help.

I have to say I enjoyed your account of your grief and adventures as much as the birds and wildlife, so thank you for writing it all up to give a really vivid sense of every aspect of your trip.

Looking forward to the next one!

Cheers
Mike

Thank you for sharing a wonderful trip!
We get all the highlights, vicariously, without the headaches or the frustrations.
But we won't have your memories. So you're still way ahead.
Thanks again and be well!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back