• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 is very nice! (2 Viewers)

I did. I said he would end up the Swaro 8x32 SV shortly after they debuted.

Wait, you are talking about the Conquest HD bet, aren't you?

;)

Frank I never thought of that, 2 bets going on.;) I wonder if Dennis bought the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P off of proudpapa56? There is a very nice 5 star review of the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 on B&H website.

Last edited:
I bought the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P's and compared them to my Nikon 8x30 M7's and the Swaro's are much better at controlling veiling glare and glare. They seem to cut right through the glare and you see the bird better in tough sunny conditions. The Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 seems to have some problems controlling glare and create a "smokescreen effect".

I fully agree about the Monarch. Nice, but no cigar. The glare problems are too obvious in my opinion.

I also decided the optics on my Swarovision 8x32 is better than the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD and I like the Swaro's ergos much better so why have two 32mm's. [...] I still haven't found anything that will beat the Swarovision all around.

If I were to buy a binocular for birding tomorrow (which I'm not), these models would be in contention:

8x30/32.
Swarovision 8x32 (if the focuser is perfect)

8x42/8.5x42:
Zeiss Victory 8x42 HT.

10x40/42/50:
1. Zeiss Victory 10x42 HT.
2. Swarovision 10x50 (if the focuser is perfect)

By the way, if one of the alpha makers were to make a binocular that is suitable for birding and has an AFOV of at least 70 degrees while maintaining an optical quality at least as good as the Conquest HD, I'd definitely buy it once it's become clear there aren't any showstoppers.

Hermann

Dennis:

It is good to see you have reached binocular "nirvana".

I hope that means we won't be hearing from you for a while. ;)
You've tried them all.

Jerry

The nice review on B&H is by Dennis. I thought there would be a new $300 Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 for sale on Astromart. I would of been interested, for me the 10x30 makes mooreorless sense. I have a Swaro 8x30 SLC. Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

Frank I never thought of that, 2 bets going on.;) I wonder if Dennis bought the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P off of proudpapa56? There is a very nice 5 star review of the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 on B&H website.
I actually bought the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P at our new Cabella's. HaHa! No Proud Papa. He blacklisted me. He starts shaking in his boots if he thinks somebody is going to return something. On that Swaro Habicht 8x30 I returned to him he went on and on about how much he lost on it because he had to sell it as used. It is kind of nice to buy a pair of binoculars at a store because you can actually check it out before you buy it. The Swaro's in the display case actually had a focus that was a little harder in the clockwise direction but the salesman got out a new pair in a box and guess what the focus tension was just perfect either way. So there is advantages in buying from a brick and mortar store. I was able to check the optics out also in the store. As typical Swaro they were superb. This new Swaro pocket is a entirely new animal. You could almost use it as your main binocular. It is that good.

Last edited:
The nice review on B&H is by Dennis. I thought there would be a new $300 Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 for sale on Astromart. I would of been interested, for me the 10x30 makes mooreorless sense. I have a Swaro 8x30 SLC. Sorry I just couldn't help myself.
No the Monarch 7 8x30 went back to B&H. The more I used it the more I noticed the glare problem. The "Smokescreen Effect" is a good way to describe it. It covers a large area of your FOV and is almost like a haze. I am not sure why the M7 exhibits this effect. Anyway I decided I liked the ergos on the CL-P better. The CL-P is WAY smaller also. It is easy to wear on your belt.

I fully agree about the Monarch. Nice, but no cigar. The glare problems are too obvious in my opinion.

If I were to buy a binocular for birding tomorrow (which I'm not), these models would be in contention:

8x30/32.
Swarovision 8x32 (if the focuser is perfect)

8x42/8.5x42:
Zeiss Victory 8x42 HT.

10x40/42/50:
1. Zeiss Victory 10x42 HT.
2. Swarovision 10x50 (if the focuser is perfect)

By the way, if one of the alpha makers were to make a binocular that is suitable for birding and has an AFOV of at least 70 degrees while maintaining an optical quality at least as good as the Conquest HD, I'd definitely buy it once it's become clear there aren't any showstoppers.

Hermann
I don't know why the Swaro CL-P is so good at glare control. You wouldn't think a compact would be that good. I like the optics on the Swarovision a little better than the Zeiss Conquest HD mainly because of the sharp edges. I tested them both at dusk and I felt the Swarovision was a little brighter also. I really like the ergo's on the Swarovision better also. That open bridge with small tubes fit my smaller hands better than the bigger fatter Zeiss.

I tried the Swarovski CL-P's 8x25 over at Cabella's tonite and they are VERY nice. I am impressed. What an improvement over the 8x20"s. The bigger eyecups, longer ER and bigger objectives make a big difference. The quality and design is superb. They are the first compact binoculars I have seen that might make it as full time birding binocular.

I've had an 8x25CL for a while along with an 8x30CL. Both are tan colored Travellers. The 8x30CL controls glare better. It is also easier to use. It's eye cups are much larger and more comfortable even though it's ER is about 2.5mm shorter. But then it is not a compact binocular like the 8x25CL is.

The 8x25CL is the best compact binocular I've ever used and I have it with me almost every day but it isn't perfect.

It will fit in my Shirt Jac pockets but I have to be careful when taking it out of the pockets or putting it back because it does not have lens covers or a rain guard and the objectives are very close to the ends of the tubes. They can get smudged easily and they do. I keep a "Spudz" microfiber cleaning cloth clipped to the strap and it helps some.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Innovations-Spudz-Lens-Cloths/dp/B0085EAIKK

I use a Nikon 10x25 LXL case to store it in when I'm not using it. I have to leave the strap outside the case to leave room for the binocular.

Bob

I've had an 8x25CL for a while along with an 8x30CL. Both are tan colored Travellers. The 8x30CL controls glare better. It is also easier to use. It's eye cups are much larger and more comfortable even though it's ER is about 2.5mm shorter. But then it is not a compact binocular like the 8x25CL is.

The 8x25CL is the best compact binocular I've ever used and I have it with me almost every day but it isn't perfect.

It will fit in my Shirt Jac pockets but I have to be careful when taking it out of the pockets or putting it back because it does not have lens covers or a rain guard and the objectives are very close to the ends of the tubes. They can get smudged easily and they do. I keep a "Spudz" microfiber cleaning cloth clipped to the strap and it helps some.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Innovations-Spudz-Lens-Cloths/dp/B0085EAIKK

I use a Nikon 10x25 LXL case to store it in when I'm not using it. I have to leave the strap outside the case to leave room for the binocular.

Bob
Crinklystarfish disagrees with you about glare.

"The CL-Companion did however throw up other errant light issues that the CL-Pocket did not. I'll describe those when I get a little more time. Suffice for now to say I sent the CL-C back very quickly because of errant light. I hesitate to give the phenomena I saw names as I don't want to provoke an international incident through a lack of understanding of the nuances of technical terminology."

Going from memory I had glare issues with the CL-C 8x30 also when I had them. So I tend to disagree with you. The CL-P to me seems very glare resistant for some reason and it seems to have an ability to as Crinkly has said to pick out birds which the M7 had a tough time doing.

On the Swaro CL-P if you leave the eyecups up a little bit you won't have any trouble with smudges. Lens covers and rain guards are a pain with a compact binocular. That is probably why Swarovski didn't include them. What is the matter with the Swaro case for storage. I think it is quite nice. You wind the strap around the binoculars and put it in and it fits on your belt quite nice.

Last edited:
I actually bought the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P at our new Cabella's. HaHa! No Proud Papa. He blacklisted me. He starts shaking in his boots if he thinks somebody is going to return something. On that Swaro Habicht 8x30 I returned to him he went on and on about how much he lost on it because he had to sell it as used. It is kind of nice to buy a pair of binoculars at a store because you can actually check it out before you buy it. The Swaro's in the display case actually had a focus that was a little harder in the clockwise direction but the salesman got out a new pair in a box and guess what the focus tension was just perfect either way. So there is advantages in buying from a brick and mortar store. I was able to check the optics out also in the store. As typical Swaro they were superb. This new Swaro pocket is a entirely new animal. You could almost use it as your main binocular. It is that good.

Dennis it is "well known" that you buy and send back, you just did it with the Nikon. I can understand why someone that sells products would put you on a blacklist, esp. if they know you do this.

I'd blacklist the guy too... out for his pleasure and entertainment at someone elses expense.

Then publish here for attention.

Is hard to stomach this behavior.

CG

Dennis it is "well known" that you buy and send back, you just did it with the Nikon. I can understand why someone that sells products would put you on a blacklist, esp. if they know you do this.
Yes, but not after returning only ONE pair of binoculars like I did with Proudpapa. Sometime you NEED that return policy if you are not so sure if the binocular will work for you. The focus on the Habicht's 8x30 Proudpapa sold me were stiff as the steering wheel on the Titanic. In other words unsteerable. The second pair of Habicht's which I bought on Ebay were much better but in the end the short ER got too me and I sold those on Ebay. I don't return every binocular I buy. A lot of them I sell on Ebay. I am comparing my CL-P's to my Swarovision's for glare this morning. I think the small objectives helps glare on the compacts.

Last edited:
I'd blacklist the guy too... out for his pleasure and entertainment at someone elses expense.

Then publish here for attention.

Is hard to stomach this behavior.

CG
If there is something defective like their is with the Nikon M7 I bought. There is nothing wrong with returning it. You would return it too. Try one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back