• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Old Quay House, Hayle Estuary (1 Viewer)

Conorbirda2

Can i advise birders not to use the Car Park at The Old Quay House to look at the Hayle Estuary. The pub has a new manager in who is anti-birder and claims that residents of the holiday lets attached to the pub have complained about the lack of privacy due to big lenses and scopes, likening birders to peadophiles!! The fact that birders actually use that accomodation seems to have escaped his attention. May i suggest that birders do not use the pub or its accommodation in future.

The pub has a new manager in who is anti-birder and claims that residents of the holiday lets attached to the pub have complained about the lack of privacy due to big lenses and scopes, likening birders to peadophiles!!

Says more about that manager than it does about birders. What a dickhead!

I'd heard that that was the case. We always used to pop in there when en route to and from the Scillies although I've not been for a few years. It's completely unneccessary, there is a huge car park there so it's not as if there are any issues with blocking locals' driveways or anything like that. Every time I've been there there's barely been another car in the place. On a more practical note Paul, for birders like me who aren't that familiar with the area, what are the alternative recommended parking/access areas?

Park on the RSPB Ryan's Field carpark and walk along the bank to the main road. Standing by the road is not as relaxing as in the pub carpark though. The views are just about as good though.

Steve

What I tend to do is go in for a pint first, then go and look at the estuary. My hope is that, as a customer, he would have less of an objection to me using his car park ;)

Am I being naive?

I'd be inclined to turn up in his pub with as many binoculars round my neck as possible to see what he said.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back