• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The return of the mountain lion (1 Viewer)

As far as I'm concerned, the loss of a few irresponsibly managed "pets" is a good thing not a bad--

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/s...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Hello Fugi,

Some years ago, a peregrine falcon swooped down on a chihuahua dog in New York's Bryant Park. The owner must have saved the dog but in consequence, the Parks commissioner wanted to move the peregrine's nest. He was of the opinion that citizens' pets were more important than one of the rare examples of wildlife in Manhattan. At the time, I thought that the peregrine needed more protection than a nasty little dog.
God help me, if the dog lovers on BF come after me! :eek!:

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Hello Fugi,

Some years ago, a peregrine falcon swooped down on a chihuahua dog in New York's Bryant Park. The owner must have saved the dog but in consequence, the Parks commissioned wanted to move the peregrine's nest. He was of the opinion that citizens' pets were more important one of the rare examples of wildlife in Manhattan. At the time, I thought that the peregrine needed more protection than a nasty little dog.
God help me, if the dog lovers on BF come after me! :eek!:

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi Arthur. I'd class myself as a dog lover and I'm in full agreement with you here. :t:

Rich

I'd consider myself a cat person, indoor-only cats as pets. Not that I hate outdoor or indoor-outdoor cats, mind you.

But I also like the "big cats" just as much.

And knowing full well how many birds even a tubby tabby and Princess Fluffy can decimate, the idea that a cougar might kill housecats does not bother me.

Around my area, we get people who move into the canyon track homes and demand safety from the cougars (mountain lions) that live here. "Give me nature without the nature" seems to be their credo. Me, I say live alongside the big predators or go back to the concrete jungle you're more comfortable with!

Which means I also side with that Peregrine that was mentioned earlier. :t:

Here in South Carolina we've recently had an increase in Coyotes which pleased me but the government doesn't agree and is allowing licenses to kill the Coyotes if they should they arrive in someone's backyard.

Here in South Carolina we've recently had an increase in Coyotes which pleased me but the government doesn't agree and is allowing licenses to kill the Coyotes if they should they arrive in someone's backyard.

Much worse here in Nevada where no license is required and where there are all-day coyote killing contests with whoever finishes the day with the biggest bag winning a prize. Lions are also hunted here but for them you need a license.

Hello Fugi,

Some years ago, a peregrine falcon swooped down on a chihuahua dog in New York's Bryant Park. The owner must have saved the dog but in consequence, the Parks commissioner wanted to move the peregrine's nest. He was of the opinion that citizens' pets were more important than one of the rare examples of wildlife in Manhattan. At the time, I thought that the peregrine needed more protection than a nasty little dog.
How sure were they that it even was a Peregrine? Sounds more like hawk behaviour. Anyway, I fully agree with your reasoning.

Well, since cougars eat coyotes, just reintroduce cougars and voilà, problem solved :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back