• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x40 Countryman (1 Viewer)

Barbican1987

United Kingdom
A friend of mine has a pair of Countryman 8x40 roof prism binoculars with no manufacturers name on them. !!

They quoted bga and some other letters which I can't remember now but it only quoted 6 degrees fov which seemed low for this size of binocular.

I searched the internet and they look very much like the Countryman model made by Opticron.

What I suspect is that these are a copy of he Opticron model unless the label has been washed off. They were lost and dropped them in seawater but we're recovered several days later!! Unfortunately the left eye relief is now seized.

She belongs to a natural history group and uses them on outings with them. She brought them along today for me so look at as she commented on a poor of field of view although she has owned them some years.

I wonder if any officionado out there can shed any light on identifying model. I don't have a photo unfortunately.

Last edited:
Countryman has been in the Opticron range for years, but in 8x42 not 8x40.

The Opticron label is set into the armour so might have popped out.

Countryman has been in the Opticron range for years, but in 8x42 not 8x40.

The Opticron label is set into the armour so might have popped out.
OK thanks, they may have been 8x42 yes. The label could well have popped out while it was rolling around in the sea or on the beach where she found them a few days later after she dropped them!!

I will try to ask her to bring them in again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back