• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Royal Albatross Centre of New Zealand (1 Viewer)

greykangaroo

Australia
If anyone ventures to New Zealand on a cruise liner most cruises if not all, go to the South Island.
Now down there at the bottom of the world there is a city called Dunedin. Very beautiful and seems designed for cruise liners.
When sailing away from Dunedin and rounding the Atago point to sail south, on the right-hand side in a grassy field, the ship passes by the famous Royal Albatross colony.

Dunedin 5.png

MAPS
Firstly showing where Dunedin is at the bottom of the South Island
Secondly to show where the Royal Albatross Centre is on Atago point on the Harington Peninsula.

Dunedin 2.png
.Dunedin 1.png

Dunedin 4.JPG
Now numbers of these birds have dropped alarmingly due to climate change affecting their habitat, overfishing and long-line fish hooks.
I took this shot of the seemingly thin numbers.
By car one can visit the Centre situated behind this hill, to see the full story.
I hope this was of interest and apologies to any Kiwis offended that Aussies are visiting this sacred place.

Last edited:
I enjoyed a visit to the Royal Albatross Centre while staying in Dunedin for a few nights on my first round New Zealand road trip in 2015.
joke alert - I guess anyone’s money (even an Aussie's) can be used for conservation ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back