• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The things beginners ask you (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
"We have a lot of wee birds in the garden : not sparrows. They have black stripes on their back ? What are they please."

A little more digging and they have short tails, feeding in groups on the fat balls.

They've gone now, she'll try and get more details and may try for a picture if they come back tomorrow.

I bet they'll turn out to be Long-tailed Tits LOL but any other ideas? Can't think of anything else round here that would be in groups like that. Would the juveniles still have shorter tails?

Edge of rural town garden (Blairgowrie). Central Scotland, December 2nd.

I did mean to get onto colour. I'll see if she's still around.

That might not be totally reliable though, as it was just about sunset, so the light was getting pretty poor.

There are four fundamental things non-birders get wrong when describing birds: size, shape, colour and pattern.

I know that doesn't leave much.

Your acquaintance saying they are not sparrows does not mean they are not sparrows.

John

Based on the description it seems like the small birds, with stripes and short tails could be sparrows House Sparrows. However it's interesting that they are feeding in groups on balls, which's not typical behavior for Dunnocks. Dunnocks are generally solitary and feed on the ground. It's worth considering that people who aren't bird enthusiasts often misinterpret size, shape, color and patterns when describing birds. So despite the belief that they're not sparrows they might actually be sparrows. Having a picture would be helpful, for an identification.

Yeah, that's all very true John.

We'll just have to wait for an update, if there is one.

Based on the description it seems like the small birds, with stripes and short tails could be sparrows House Sparrows. However it's interesting that they are feeding in groups on balls, which's not typical behavior for Dunnocks. Dunnocks are generally solitary and feed on the ground. It's worth considering that people who aren't bird enthusiasts often misinterpret size, shape, color and patterns when describing birds. So despite the belief that they're not sparrows they might actually be sparrows. Having a picture would be helpful, for an identification.
Hi Thomas and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I know... that's what I meant by pattern: where the blocks of colour actually are, as opposed to what colour they are.

Cheers

John
I can recall a tale from a Hampshire rarities committee member who was asked to visit an elderly lady society members property to check on an unusual bird that was feeding from her bird table. The description was, " it has a black and patterned head and I've never seen anything like it before ". So, off he went with a field guide, folded over on Goldfinch. Invited in, they sat and waited for it to appear.
And it duly appeared at the bird table and started to feed.....her description was correct. There indeed stood an African Crowned Crane.....he enjoyed the tea and biscuits but didn't open the book.

I can recall a tale from a Hampshire rarities committee member who was asked to visit an elderly lady society members property to check on an unusual bird that was feeding from her bird table. The description was, " it has a black and patterned head and I've never seen anything like it before ". So, off he went with a field guide, folded over on Goldfinch. Invited in, they sat and waited for it to appear.
And it duly appeared at the bird table and started to feed.....her description was correct. There indeed stood an African Crowned Crane.....he enjoyed the tea and biscuits but didn't open the book.
This is a story the late Chris Mead loved to tell on the radio several times. I was certainly gobsmacked the first time I heard it!

This is a story the late Chris Mead loved to tell on the radio several times. I was certainly gobsmacked the first time I heard it!
Indeed, he was a great friend and fellow Senior ringer of the late gentleman involved (BF member "crapbirder" ) who also revelled in enthusiastically recounting the tale when prompted. Happy memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back