• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The World's Most Incredible Bird Sounds (1 Viewer)

Screaming Piha - an iconic sound of Amazonia, and amazing in shear volume- I've been able to hear them from over a kilometer away.

Spotted Nightjar - weird/funny
Brown Songlark - sounds like a modem connecting
Red-capped robin - sound like a phone ringing
Yellow Wattlebird - someone being sick
Barking Owl - screaming woman
Chiming Wedgebill - pleasant but maddeningly repetitious
Sulfur-crested Cockatoo - loud
White-winged Fairy-wren - clockwork bird
Red-lored Whistler - would make a good fire alarm
Crested Bllbird - morse code

The following birds have been added to the 'World's Most Incredible Bird Sounds' group on Soundcloud. There are now 63 recordings to enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/groups/incredible-sounds-of-nature

Common Starling (incredible recording of a bird producing a variety of mimicry)
Tui
New Zealand Bellbird
Kakapo (booming like a Bittern)
Common Blackbird
Gunnison Grouse
Greater Sage Grouse
Ruffed Grouse
Chiming Wedgebill
Solitary Cacique
Sharpbill
Crested Bellbird
Spotted Nightingale Thrush
Lewin's Rail
Long-tailed Duck
Corncrake
Invisible Rail (a Halmahera specialty - also called Drummer Rail - listen to call to see why)

Keep the suggestions coming, there must be many more amazing sounds out there!

Musician Wren

Musician Wren

This video, produced by the educational TV channel in São Paulo, is about Brazilian birds and shows the newly discovered Marsh Antwren near SP, the work of Neiva Guedes preserving Hyacinth Macaws in the Pantanal, and the final segment shows a Musician Wren singing. The birding guide that led the TV crew to the singing wren tells them that they were awarded a wondrous gift by Nature. The haunting melody
produced by this little Amazonian wren with flute-like notes is not to be missed!

Great feedback so far, I will add some of the recently suggested species to the collection soon.

https://soundcloud.com/groups/incredible-sounds-of-nature

For now, I have just added what is apparently the lowest frequency call known from any bird - the boom of the Southern Cassowary.

https://soundcloud.com/wildambience/southern-cassowary-casuarius

Make sure you have decent speakers or headphones for this one! I recorded this sample from a captive bird in a wildlife park near Sydney, Australia. Hearing the call close up is incredible - sounds more like an large mammal than a bird!

Screaming Piha - an iconic sound of Amazonia, and amazing in shear volume- I've been able to hear them from over a kilometer away.

One of my over whelming memories of my first trip to South America, nearly thirty years ago, that and capuchinbird (which is already on the list).

Young herons

How about the wierd gobbling that anxious young Grey Herons (and probably other species) make when demanding to be fed

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back